How To: Engine/Valve Cover Painting

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
I just spent the 4 day process of painting my own engine and valve covers. I personally think they look terrific and it was a very fun experience.

I have looked at several threads on this topic and found that no one has done a real write up on how to do it so here goes.

Materials:
dawn dishsoap
Alcohol (not the drinking type although may be needed throughout)
400 and 600 grit sandpaper
Adhesion promoter for plastics
Duplicolor engine enamal paint (color of choice)
Duplicolor engine enamal clear coat
Painters tape

Start by thoroughly cleaning the covers using dawn dishsoap.
Dry then rub down completely with alcohol to remove and oils or films.
Use 400 grit sandpaper on all surfaces to be painted.
Wipe off all dust then rub down again with alcohol.
For engine covers tape off center black section during base color painting.

Apply adhesion promoter (2-3 layers using time and amounts specified on can) mine had a 3 minute time between layers with the first coat of color needed within 10 minutes of 3rd coat.
Apply base paint color in 2 light layers (follow timing on can) followed by 1 medium layer.

Allow to sit over night
Rub entire painted surface with 600 grit sandpaper to clear any runs rough spots or contaminants.
Spray medium thickness final layer of base color paint.

If doing a second color for letter put Painters tape over lettering and use a sharp knife or scalpel to cut out all lettering.

Apply secondary color (3 layers with timing according to can).

Allow paint to dry over night then apply clear coat (3 layers with timing per can).

Assemble in vehicle (PP owners remove tower brace first or you WILL scratch your hard work.)
Sponsored

Last edited:

MontelG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Looks great and great write up! I've been considering giving it a try and this will be very helpful!

OP
OP
P4RKER

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
Good luck and take your time! As I said it took me 4 days but I am astounded by my results. Post pics when your done I want to see what other people do.

Mudnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JCW MINI & Land Rover Defender
Looks great!! I had to laugh when I saw the cloth on the dining room table. I was told off by my wife when working on the table, and my reply was at least I put a cloth down.
Did you also spray the coolant tank? If so, is there a sight line where you can see the level?

Cheers,

Ken

OP
OP
P4RKER

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
Mudnut: we really need a new table so the wife didn't find. The coolant tank weld point is right in the center of the max and min lines so I painted to it and you can at least see the add line. The brake bottle is designed so there will be just a fine layer of fluid in the neck below the cap right at full.

Basketcase: as I said I had no prior experience painting. Just take your time and it is rather easy. Post here or PM me if you have questions. Also please post pics here after complete.
Sponsored