Sponsored

HOW TO: Add MyFord Touch/Sync 3 to base model S550

kobekay87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT premium 2015 #guard
hey guys, been checking out all the posts , and was wondering the following:

i have a mustang GT premium 2015 with nav and sync2 (MFT) but I moved to the middle east and unfortunately, there is no SD card for this region making the nav useless. And ford isn’t planning to do anything about it...

what hardware changes (for eg. APIM, screen sync 3) do i need and from where so i at least I have android auto and use my phone instead?
Sponsored

MMApex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP GT
I am also lost here. Will this work and enable CarPlay/Android Auto on a 2017 base GT (with the smaller screen)?

mkenny28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I am also lost here. Will this work and enable CarPlay/Android Auto on a 2017 base GT (with the smaller screen)?
No, this is for Sync 3 (bigger screen) vehicles only.

mkenny28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium Convertible
hey guys, been checking out all the posts , and was wondering the following:

i have a mustang GT premium 2015 with nav and sync2 (MFT) but I moved to the middle east and unfortunately, there is no SD card for this region making the nav useless. And ford isn’t planning to do anything about it...

what hardware changes (for eg. APIM, screen sync 3) do i need and from where so i at least I have android auto and use my phone instead?
You will need a Sync 3 unit programmed with your VIN. Easy to buy but expensive; once in hand the swqp is straightforward and plugs right in. In order to get Android Auto you would then need to update the Sync 3 unit to 2.x (I am going to assume it would come with it though). If you need CarPlay you would need a new usb hub to replace the SD hub in the center console as well as splicing in a new connector (WPT-1239 I think, Don't quote me though) for the new hub. All the parts needed are listed in this thread.

Bonzai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I am going to be doing the Sync 3 conversion on my 2015 GT with MFT. I understand that I need to install the new GPS module along with the new APIM, however I am unclear if I need to leave the original GPS connected or not. A thread I was following in the fusion forums is saying that they need to leave it connected in their vehicles to keep the instrument compass working, but I have seen others in this thread mentioning disconnecting it. What is the best way to go? And if disconnecting it is the correct route what is the best way to do that?

Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I am going to be doing the Sync 3 conversion on my 2015 GT with MFT. I understand that I need to install the new GPS module along with the new APIM, however I am unclear if I need to leave the original GPS connected or not. A thread I was following in the fusion forums is saying that they need to leave it connected in their vehicles to keep the instrument compass working, but I have seen others in this thread mentioning disconnecting it. What is the best way to go? And if disconnecting it is the correct route what is the best way to do that?

Thanks in advance for any help
In the mustang it needs to be disconnected. If the original gps module is left installed it will basically freak out the compass. The gauge cluster compass will pull data from the new GPS antenna.

Bonzai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
In the mustang it needs to be disconnected. If the original gps module is left installed it will basically freak out the compass. The gauge cluster compass will pull data from the new GPS antenna.
Where is the easiest place to disconnect the existing GPS module and where is the recommended place to locate the new module?

Thanks

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Where is the easiest place to disconnect the existing GPS module and where is the recommended place to locate the new module?

Thanks
The original GPS module is located in the top middle of the dash just in front of the speaker grille area. This panel simply pops off so it is very easy to access. Just disconnect the gps module, remove it, and place the new antenna in its place.

fordmustanglove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford mustang GT
okay i think i have everything but the wire harness,
2015 premium bezel
2015 mustang screen with apim
stock base radio

from a base gt 2015 to mft non-nav all i need is the bezel\screen and wiring kit right? do i have to buy the premium cd player? I bet someone already asked these questions but i didnt see any the first few pages.

Bonzai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The original GPS module is located in the top middle of the dash just in front of the speaker grille area. This panel simply pops off so it is very easy to access. Just disconnect the gps module, remove it, and place the new antenna in its place.
Thanks for the help. I was able to complete a successful MFT to Sync 3 swap with no issues.

It was definitely worth it. Sync 3 is so much nicer and CarPlay is really nice to have also.

Sponsored

amhauke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT
Guys got a question. I've swapped my 15 over to sync 3 from an F150 and have successfully modified the as built data with ForScan. The last thing that bugs me is when I turn the car off and back on the radio with default to the home screen. Any idea if there is a value in the as built that would change this? I have a 16 F150 with Sync 3 as my daily and it doesn't do this. Thanks.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Guys got a question. I've swapped my 15 over to sync 3 from an F150 and have successfully modified the as built data with ForScan. The last thing that bugs me is when I turn the car off and back on the radio with default to the home screen. Any idea if there is a value in the as built that would change this? I have a 16 F150 with Sync 3 as my daily and it doesn't do this. Thanks.
I would suggest just flashing the entire module ABD to that of a premium mustang and then work from there to disable certain features like heated seat control and so on. That would be the easiest way to fix the behavior unless someone knows the exact ABD needed.

amhauke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT
I would suggest just flashing the entire module ABD to that of a premium mustang and then work from there to disable certain features like heated seat control and so on. That would be the easiest way to fix the behavior unless someone knows the exact ABD needed.
That will eventually be my last option I guess. My car is a premium without parking aid so I guess I just need to find the vin from a 16 premium for the AB.

aj604

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Anyone have or know of some place where I can get a 4 - 8 harness for a reasonable price ? Ive tried to contact OEMradios, but have yet to get a reply. I guess I'll be making my own, just lazy and was hoping to save time.

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
[MENTION=29230]aj604[/MENTION] I can do it. I make harnesses every day at work at Honda R&D.
Anyone know where to source connectors?
Sponsored