Sponsored

HOW TO: Add MyFord Touch/Sync 3 to base model S550

mustangmike86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt PP
yes I have gotten mine to work, you have to have forscan and change the as built data in the ABS and IPC. I have posted in the infotainment section today, but if you like i can give that info

mkenny28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Just wondering why anyone would still want to make this expensive and complex change to Sync3 when you can have this for less?

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75984
1) You lose CD player with that mod (not a big deal for most but I have an extensive CD collection that I still use; Yes I am old lol)

2) I prefer stock look and that unit is ugly to me.

3) The walkthrough video on that unit raised some red flags for me and I despise the layout.

4) To me all those Chinese units look and feel cheap; at least with the Sync 3 swap you are getting Ford OEM equipment (probably made in china lol)

Yes the swap is expensive and not for everyone.

Sponsored

thet33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT/6MT/3.55
yes I have gotten mine to work, you have to have forscan and change the as built data in the ABS and IPC. I have posted in the infotainment section today, but if you like i can give that info
Nice! I will definitely be checking out your thread this evening. :cheers:

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT

[MENTION=29038]mustangmike86[/MENTION] You were able to get what to work? Driving modes?

TheDoctor66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP Name: Sylvanas
Does anyone else have the issue where soon as you plug in Pandora loads? Mine does that everytime even if Pandora is not open. Kinda annoying.

mustangmike86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt PP
I might have missed this in the postings but can you make the mode button work (with some programming) when switching from a base bezel to a premium bezel.
Yes you can make the mode switch work, i have done this on my car, i just posted in the infotainment section with the as built data to enable the switch

Sponsored

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
1) You lose CD player with that mod (not a big deal for most but I have an extensive CD collection that I still use; Yes I am old lol)

2) I prefer stock look and that unit is ugly to me.

3) The walkthrough video on that unit raised some red flags for me and I despise the layout.

4) To me all those Chinese units look and feel cheap; at least with the Sync 3 swap you are getting Ford OEM equipment (probably made in china lol)

Yes the swap is expensive and not for everyone.
To add to that:

5) You just lost all physical buttons for the radio and HVAC system. I don't know about you guys, but I prefer physical switches and buttons for those things so I do not have to take my eyes off the road.

6) I do not want a big screen like that glowing in the car at night.

7) That screens looks very reflective. It may be very difficult to see at certain angles when it is very sunny.

And I just personally don't get it. I do not need an entire computer in my car. And also I prefer OEM solutions as they are a better fit for the car. Just my two cents! :)

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Yeah I see where you guys are at. The delete of the physical hvac switches would annoy me too. But otherwise I think it's a very neat solution that brings in lots of options that an OEM system will never have. I've dealt with Chinese knock off systems for other cars in the past and they were crap because they were always full of bugs and based on Windows CE so you couldn't do diddly to improve the software (like on an OEM system). This new unit however seems to be very well built and is Android based which opens up a world of options. Including redesigning the user interace so it doesn't glow at night. And you can much more easily hook it up to an aftermarket audio system since you don't have to deal with the EQ of the OEM headunit.

But yeah I guess it's all in what you're after and I can certainly see the appeal of a total OEM setup.

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Yeah I see where you guys are at. The delete of the physical hvac switches would annoy me too. But otherwise I think it's a very neat solution that brings in lots of options that an OEM system will never have. I've dealt with Chinese knock off systems for other cars in the past and they were crap because they were always full of bugs and based on Windows CE so you couldn't do diddly to improve the software (like on an OEM system). This new unit however seems to be very well built and is Android based which opens up a world of options. Including redesigning the user interace so it doesn't glow at night. And you can much more easily hook it up to an aftermarket audio system since you don't have to deal with the EQ of the OEM headunit.

But yeah I guess it's all in what you're after and I can certainly see the appeal of a total OEM setup.
That unit definitely opens up a lot of possibilities since it is running Android. Different gauge setups using the OBDII port, different themes and apps. Just a lot of options!

mkenny28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Does anyone else have the issue where soon as you plug in Pandora loads? Mine does that everytime even if Pandora is not open. Kinda annoying.
I was having that issue but I unchecked an option in Pandora app to allow bluetooth to launch Pandora (or something like that). This wasn't doimg the trick either so I launched Google Music on my Android Auto and didn't tune into anything on Pandora. Ever since Pandora has been nice and quiet.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
In the first post, he told that using a apim+mft from a ford escape is proven to work , something i don't understand is people from xda/random F150&escape forums are abble to modify some data in forscan in the apim and even if the unit is a non-navigation one, there abble to activate it and after they update it with a valid licence and the navigation works just fine. So a nav unit and a non-nav one are basicaly the same thing?
There are no major hardware differences between nav and non nav Ford APIMs. The difference lies in the software and As Built Data. As Built Data is what can be modified by forscan. The actual operating system is what can't be modified to my knowledge.
Sponsored