Sponsored

Hood corrosion question

kws6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
Post some pics. Bubbling is due to corrosion underneath.
Do you have the work order from when you brought the car in originally
for this?
Sponsored

86pagt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
I have a 2019 and just had mine replaced about a month ago… it’s covered under the 5 year corrosion warranty and a new hood was ordered and installed. I didn’t have any problems it was just a long wait for the first hood, it arrived damaged so another one was ordered. Good luck.
IMG_7593.jpeg
IMG_7592.jpeg

OP
OP
PeterParker

PeterParker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2019 4T Premium, 2018 Mazda 6 GTR
I have a 2019 and just had mine replaced about a month ago… it’s covered under the 5 year corrosion warranty and a new hood was ordered and installed. I didn’t have any problems it was just a long wait for the first hood, it arrived damaged so another one was ordered. Good luck.
IMG_7593.jpeg
IMG_7592.jpeg
I have an appointment coming up for them to look at it and my 'bubbling' looks extremely similar to yours except a few inches to the left. I may show them your photos to help my case.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The Ford Warranty for paint starts the day the car was invoiced; 5/60.

Starting in 2016, the body panel coverage was revised to state that the aluminum panels do not need a prerequisite of “perforation” AND most importantly, the panel MUST BE replaced. They are not to fix the existing panel, it must be replaced per the revised warranty guidelines.

So if your vehicle is still within the 5/60 mark, you shouldn’t need to request an aluminum body panel replacement, it’s a given.

If they don’t know Ford’s Warranty guidelines from a Franchised standpoint, they shouldn’t be in business. It’s not only referenced in every vehicle owner manual, it’s also in the Franchise Warranty and Policy Manual that every Dealership has access to and it’s distributed annually.

If you can’t make headway with the Service Center or they’re trying to tell you otherwise, call the Ford 800# right in front of the Service Advisor and request to speak to a Regional Rep.

OP
OP
PeterParker

PeterParker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
The Ford Warranty for paint starts the day the car was invoiced; 5/60.

Starting in 2016, the body panel coverage was revised to state that the aluminum panels do not need a prerequisite of “perforation” AND most importantly, the panel MUST BE replaced. They are not to fix the existing panel, it must be replaced per the revised warranty guidelines.

So if your vehicle is still within the 5/60 mark, you shouldn’t need to request an aluminum body panel replacement, it’s a given.

If they don’t know Ford’s Warranty guidelines from a Franchised standpoint, they shouldn’t be in business. It’s not only referenced in every vehicle owner manual, it’s also in the Franchise Warranty and Policy Manual that every Dealership has access to and it’s distributed annually.

If you can’t make headway with the Service Center or they’re trying to tell you otherwise, call the Ford 800# right in front of the Service Advisor and request to speak to a Regional Rep.
Great write-up. My car is 4 years, 5 months from invoice date, so within 5/60. I will call the rep if they don't help me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PeterParker

PeterParker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE: Ford will replace the hood. The dealership said that they would need the car for 2 days? Seems a bit long just to remove one hood and replace it with another, or is it just me?

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
UPDATE: Ford will replace the hood. The dealership said that they would need the car for 2 days? Seems a bit long just to remove one hood and replace it with another, or is it just me?
They have to paint new hood. My dealer said it's going to be a week. Considering it is the dead of winter here I'm not surprised...

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Good to hear you’re able to get the hood replaced.

You would think by now Ford would just make the hoods out of fiberglass to save on all the Warranty issues (which has been a redundant corrosion issue since the S197’s).

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
Good to hear you’re able to get the hood replaced.

You would think by now Ford would just make the hoods out of fiberglass to save on all the Warranty issues (which has been a redundant corrosion issue since the S197’s).
I wondered that also, if they just made the whole thing with aluminum there'd be no issue. Does using steel for the underside support frame really save enough cost to offset all of the warranty replacements?

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
As a side note, I noticed two 1/4" bubbles on the leading edge of my hood last week while at the dealer for an oil change (Yes, I use the dealer for oil changes. Tell me where else I can get 10 quarts of oil for $16, let alone labor). It must have happened over the winter, as they were not there when I last hand-washed the car in the fall.

1711558143007-ly.png

The service writer blew me off ("Needs to be perforated"), but I figured I had a year to go before running out the 5-year limit. Sitting with my wife last Saturday and realized my car was nearly 5 years old NOW.

Went back to the dealer today and stopped at the asst. service mgr, who said, "Oh, on a Mustang you don't need perforation", and kicked off the process.

The car is going in for the hood replacement on Wednesday. Just in time. The warranty runs out a week from tomorrow.
Sponsored

Last edited: