Hood corrosion question

PeterParker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2019 4T Premium, 2018 Mazda 6 GTR
2019 with an extended warranty. There is a very small bubbling, about a quarter inch, on the hood edge just above the drivers side head light, but no where else. My question is does the dealer have to replace the entire hood or will they try and talk me into a spot fix and blend in the paint? I thought I saw a TSB once that said said a replacement was recommended.

Thanks for your time.
Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
2019 with an extended warranty. There is a very small bubbling, about a quarter inch, on the hood edge just above the drivers side head light, but no where else. My question is does the dealer have to replace the entire hood or will they try and talk me into a spot fix and blend in the paint? I thought I saw a TSB once that said said a replacement was recommended.

Thanks for your time.
It's highly likely (not knowing the specifics of your extended warranty) your warranty isn't going to do anything. Most extended warranties don't. It will be up to you to get the hood re-painted.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
It's highly likely (not knowing the specifics of your extended warranty) your warranty isn't going to do anything. Most extended warranties don't. It will be up to you to get the hood re-painted.
Original warranty covers this:

"If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage, and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident, customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles."

Mine has corrosion in same spot as OP, they will replace entire hood....

TSB - https://static.oemdtc.com/TSB/MC-10156863-9999.pdf

Dealer did not even look at my hood, took my word for its damage.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
FWIW, each post I've read, the Owner has received a panel replacement. There's the obvious, but there's the lurking not-so-obvious. And the cost of manually repairing something believed to be correct, versus replacing the entire surface.

Some references...

A TSB:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10177863-0001.pdf

"Panel replacement is recommended."

A link to the most recent paint GSB I've found. I've downloaded this page/s to a PDF.

https://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic...s-vehicles-paint-and-bumper-concern-analysis/

From the 2022 Warranty Guide:

"3) Your vehicle’s body sheet metal panels are covered for an extended Corrosion Coverage Period, which lasts for five years, regardless of miles driven. The extended warranty coverage only applies if a body sheet metal panel becomes perforated due to corrosion during normal use due to a manufacturing defect in factory-supplied materials or factory workmanship. If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage, and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident, customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles. For damage caused by airborne material (environmental fallout) where there is no factory-related defect involved and therefore no warranty − our policy is to provide free repair of paint damage due to the airborne material for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first."

From Ford's extended warranty brochure, Premium Plan:

"The Ford Protect PremiumCARE extended service plan is so comprehensive, it’s easier to refer you to what isn’t covered – here are some examples:

Examples include: fixed (non-moving) body parts, bumpers, glass, moldings, ornamentation, paint, rust, sheet metal, structural underbody framework, side and rearview mirrors (glass and housing), water leaks, wind noise, weather strips, wheels, wheel studs, wheel covers, convertible top and bow."

Last edited:

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Original warranty covers this:

"If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage, and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident, customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles."

Mine has corrosion in same spot as OP, they will replace entire hood....

TSB - https://static.oemdtc.com/TSB/MC-10156863-9999.pdf

Dealer did not even look at my hood, took my word for its damage.
Wow....they're doing a special for the aluminum hoods.

That's great to hear.

Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
OP I believe the dealer will only do a paint repair in that spot, or at least that is what they will try to get you to do since replacing the hood + new paint will be costly.

The sad truth about this is that the corrosion might be spot fixed now and will be fine, after a handful of years it will come back again. It was a mistake that really can't be fixed unless you get a new hood.

Here's the thing though.. if you don't plan to keep the car - get it spot fixed and you will be happy. At some point when you get rid of the car you won't think twice about it.

Now if you are like me who keeps their car forever, you can get a new hood + repaint and it will be solved. Personally, I have not gotten any hood corrosion on either one of my two 2016 mustangs so I never had to deal with it yet. I am well aware of it happening though, so if I see it I personally will get it spot fixed over and over again until the point (if it ever happens) that it gets bad enough to replace the hood entirely at my own expense.

I will say though that it is sad to hear about your 2019 having this issue when my two 2016s haven't had it (and my years were more likely to have it too!). Maybe I just got lucky.

OP
OP
PeterParker

PeterParker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the great replies and info. I got back from the dealer and the body shop is closed. The advisor said to come back on Monday and the shop will give an estimate and send it to Ford. The advisor feels that it 'should' be approved for a new hood. We will see.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
A new hood is the way to go, and don't settle for less no matter how small the area of corrosion appears. This has been an issue since the S197 generation, and my last 3 Mustangs all had it. Unfortunately for me, Ford didn't issue the tsb until well after my car was past the 5 year coverage period, so the only option I had when I noticed the problem was trying to get it fixed under the factory corrosion warranty, and the dealer quoted the paragraph that says they only fix it if the corrosion has perforated the metal, so basically I was out of luck.

If you're under the TSB coverage period, get it done on Ford's dime. As I said, this has been going on for years, Ford knows about it, and instead of correcting the problem in manufacturing they chose to continue making hoods the same way and accepting the fact they will have to fix a certain percentage of them. Most dealerships are aware of it, but if you get one playing dumb and they try to push a spot repair, just politely guide them to the TSB and insist on replacement.

OP
OP
PeterParker

PeterParker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
I will insist on a replacement and even the service advisor I spoke with wouldn't commit, but used 'read between the lines' words and get it replaced.

ACL9000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
This may be a stupid question, but:

My hood has had this problem for a few years. When I first noticed it, I reasoned that any replacement would just do the same thing soon enough (maybe wrong?), so I decided to wait until the warranty was almost over, to get it done as late as possible and extend how far I could go before experiencing this again.

Anyway, I brought it to one dealership when there was about a year left and they told me to get lost. I sat on it a little longer and decided I'd take it back to the dealership where I bought it. They're sketchy and they've damaged my car before, so I'm always reluctant to go there.

It turned out I waited too long. I was out of state for a while and couldn't get to the dealership before my warranty ran out. I bought the car July 31, 2018, so the coverage ran out July 31 of this year.

Is it possible to get this covered anyway? Is there someone at Ford I can call? My dealership isn't going to help me out or go to bat for me at all. They *really* don't care. But; given that it will be obvious that the hood has been corroding for a while now, and that this problem didn't suddenly appear since August 1, can I contact some number at Ford and at least attempt to argue that that it would be reasonable to cover the hood for me, as if the warranty hadn't just run out?

My understanding is that the corrosion coverage is five years.

Sponsored

kws6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
ACL9000
.. Ford will tell you to go to a dealer. The dealer will tell you what you already stated that the warranty period for this is 5 years . You’re well
past this , so expect to hear “ no warranty for you”.

You can try to get Ford to partially cover the repair. If you don’t ask, the
answer is automatically no.

ACL9000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
It's annoying because I'd just upgrade to a carbon hood, but I'm not thrilled about losing my hood struts and having to install hood pins, and Ford wants too much money for a new aluminum hood.

I am going to talk to my dealership, but they really don't give a damn about me, so I know which way it'll go. Bummer I can't go over their heads.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
This may be a stupid question, but:

My hood has had this problem for a few years. When I first noticed it, I reasoned that any replacement would just do the same thing soon enough (maybe wrong?), so I decided to wait until the warranty was almost over, to get it done as late as possible and extend how far I could go before experiencing this again.

Anyway, I brought it to one dealership when there was about a year left and they told me to get lost. I sat on it a little longer and decided I'd take it back to the dealership where I bought it. They're sketchy and they've damaged my car before, so I'm always reluctant to go there.

It turned out I waited too long. I was out of state for a while and couldn't get to the dealership before my warranty ran out. I bought the car July 31, 2018, so the coverage ran out July 31 of this year.

Is it possible to get this covered anyway? Is there someone at Ford I can call? My dealership isn't going to help me out or go to bat for me at all. They *really* don't care. But; given that it will be obvious that the hood has been corroding for a while now, and that this problem didn't suddenly appear since August 1, can I contact some number at Ford and at least attempt to argue that that it would be reasonable to cover the hood for me, as if the warranty hadn't just run out?

My understanding is that the corrosion coverage is five years.
IMO, your only option is to plead your case to Ford Customer Care. Tell them you took it to a dealer before the warranty expired but they refused to help. There should be a record of your visit to the dealer to back up your claim. The TSB on this issue has been out for a while, so the question will be if your 1st visit to a dealer for this issue was before the TSB came out or after. If the TSB was out before you went to the dealer, then you have a chance, but if the TSB wasn't issued yet when you were there, then the dealer was within his rights to do nothing. Either way, it's worth a phone call to Ford customer care to find out.

lwnslw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
FWIW
I had the issue on my 2016 and I took it to the dealer 2 months before it turned 5 yrs old.
They replaced the hood right from the get go... didnt have to request it or fight for it, they automatically went for a replacement and also provided a rental free of charge.

Hope that helps

OP
OP
PeterParker

PeterParker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
ACL9000
.. Ford will tell you to go to a dealer. The dealer will tell you what you already stated that the warranty period for this is 5 years . You’re well
past this , so expect to hear “ no warranty for you”.

You can try to get Ford to partially cover the repair. If you don’t ask, the
answer is automatically no.
I went to the dealer and I will be going again the day after xmas to have someone who 'can make a decision' look at it. I was originally told that it was NOT a 5 year warranty on this, only 3. I said that I did not believe that that was true. The other question from them was whether is it corrosion or just bubbling? ..... Does that matter?
Sponsored