Sponsored

Highest mileage Mustang GTs with boost?

Did you changed the OPG when you boosted your stang?

• Yes i did change them.

Votes: 41 66.1%
  • No i did not change them.

Votes: 21 33.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Foxracing19931

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium
Boosted at 10k now have 35k on the car no opgs
Sponsored

FIVE_LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Competition Orange
True, but if you pop a half shaft at 65mph on the street, the medical bills aren't cheap either. If you lose a half shaft under load at high speed, there's a very high chance that you're going to lose control.

It's one thing to build for engine safety, but so many people neglect the the rest of the car. I'm not calling out anyone in particular, but it is something I see every single day. Built motor, does nothing to the transmission, flywheel, driveshaft, or rear end.

We had a local Go Fast! style event about this time last year at a local municipal airport. A modified S197 (red, built out to Roush Stage 3 specs) lost a half shaft at 130mph. Destroyed the car. He was running a 650-700hp build with stock GT running gear. The passenger side half shaft slipped and he got loose, went off the runway to the right and ploughed into soft ground. Broke the sub frame and all the body panels forward of the cabin were sheared off. I'm not sure what his actual damages were to the Nth degree but his car was totaled.

So yes, I agree that system per system, the engine is more expensive than the rear end. But you can usually walk away from an engine that loses oil pressure. You're lucky if you survive a high speed rear end failure in a street car.
S197s don't have half shafts...

Edit: just saw who posted this, no wonder it's full of so much nonsense.

Installed Whipple, oil pump gears, timing gear, and ATI damper at 3200 miles. Tick over 6000 right now.

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
Whippled at 12k now at 19k miles =)

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Procharged at 6k now near 11k.... in about a month.

MMR OPG and CG, ATI balancer, 7500rpm redline

Sponsored

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
I'm at about 34xxx now and been boosted for about 6k.

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
14k miles on a kenne bell setup since july last year.

OPG/TG change.

Last edited:

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
True, but if you pop a half shaft at 65mph on the street, the medical bills aren't cheap either. If you lose a half shaft under load at high speed, there's a very high chance that you're going to lose control.

It's one thing to build for engine safety, but so many people neglect the the rest of the car. I'm not calling out anyone in particular, but it is something I see every single day. Built motor, does nothing to the transmission, flywheel, driveshaft, or rear end.

We had a local Go Fast! style event about this time last year at a local municipal airport. A modified S197 (red, built out to Roush Stage 3 specs) lost a half shaft at 130mph. Destroyed the car. He was running a 650-700hp build with stock GT running gear. The passenger side half shaft slipped and he got loose, went off the runway to the right and ploughed into soft ground. Broke the sub frame and all the body panels forward of the cabin were sheared off. I'm not sure what his actual damages were to the Nth degree but his car was totaled.

So yes, I agree that system per system, the engine is more expensive than the rear end. But you can usually walk away from an engine that loses oil pressure. You're lucky if you survive a high speed rear end failure in a street car.
Touché!!

I always associated half-shaft failures with a launch, not a hard 3-4 shift. Yikes

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Installed the KB at 9,000 miles without swapping the OPG/CS.
Just swapped the OPG/CS at about 23,000 miles. Now at 26,000 and spinning the motor to 8000 when i'm feelin frisky

Sponsored

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP

Tugger50H

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Boosted at 14.5k now at 17K Paxton 3.6 Pulley. Getting ready to turn it up. Changed OPG , TG, and added a damper

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
Boosted (Procharger D1SC Stage 2) at 24.4k miles, now at almost 26k miles. MMR OPG/CS.

Last edited:

FIVE_LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Competition Orange

GGordon should come with a disclaimer every time he opens his mouth or posts on the Internet. He has spewed so much misinformation on the net it's not even funny.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
GGordon should come with a disclaimer every time he opens his mouth or posts on the Internet. He has spewed so much misinformation on the net it's not even funny.
Nothing against the guy, but I was scratching my head with the S197 having half shafts comment. Maybe it was a super duper top secret, ultra hush hush, top level security early test model before they put it on the S550's? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Huh? Maybe I'm on to something? Or maybe I'm just on something? :lol::lol::lol:
Sponsored