High RPM at cold start with Ford Performance Power Pack 2

1380KPOI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Poi Boy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Since I had the Ford Performance PP2 installed on my GT, I noticed the RPMs immediately shoot to 2000 on a cold start then drop down to 1500, compared to the stock tune. Has anyone else noticed this on their PP1-3 installation?
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Could be a small vacuum leak from the intake.

What does it idle like when it warms up?

OP
OP
1380KPOI

1380KPOI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Poi Boy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Could be a small vacuum leak from the intake.

What does it idle like when it warms up?
The idle is back at normal after a minute or so. Just wondering if anyone noticed the same thing.... Or perhaps everyone has had their performance packs long enough they don't recall how it used to run

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Honestly I never noticed it, because my original tune also started up and idled high then eventually settled down to 625.

I just compared the stock tune to that of the PP3 and the idle and startup airflow are the same, so it's nothing to do with the tune. Could be that you think the startup is more aggressive because there's more intake noise from the open filter.

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Mine doesn't go that high. I'd double check your TB & spacer just to be sure.

Sponsored

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
FYI...

The Evaporator Purge Valve immediately aft of the throttle body is a very common failure on most late-model FORD's including our Mustangs. If it fails in the open position (99 percent of the time), it will allow un-metered air into the intake stream which can show up as a vacuum leak.

This happened on my car without throwing a CEL, but was noticed (vacuum leak) by Brandon at LUND Racing when looking over my data-logs before finalizing my FF tune.

bozobuttz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT (7/23/15), 2001 Corvette Z06 (7/23/19)
I have the PP1 tune and I sometimes have a high idle on cold starts. However, no other modifications so I cannot attribute it to a vacuum leak in my case.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
I have the Roush Power Pack 2 which is essentially the same thing, tune and all, and cold starts are always high-screaming idle. The volume lessens over time or when you put the car in gear, but mine has always been explosive on cold starts. Scares my neighbors so I try to aim the pipes away from the neighborhood.

Racerbox77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Cobra
Cold start timing is the culprit to warm the cats. Whipple implements the same settings. I changed them via HPT so my cold starts are pretty tame.
Sponsored