Sponsored

Help on the EcoBoost Calibration Kit

Materials

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost 2.3T
For those who have experience with this package, 2015-2017 MUSTANG 2.3L ECOBOOST PERFORMANCE CALIBRATION KIT, could you share some thoughts on that? Is it worth the money? How much does it cost to install this thing? The local dealer told me the installation is around $300, is that reasonable? And How does the warranty work for this thing? My local dealer told me it doesn't matter who installed this. As long as it is properly installed, the warranty is intact, but if the aftermarket modification causes a failure in other components, it is NOT covered. Is that true?

Thanks guys!:cheers:
Sponsored

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
$300 seems really high. I have seen most people quoted about an hour (so $100). Whoever installs it has to be ASE certified to maintain the warranty I believe.

My understanding is that in the US the consumer protection laws say that car manufacturers have to prove without a doubt that a modification caused whatever issue arises if they want to deny a warranty claim. Now that without a doubt would be in court which could be prohibitively expensive for a consumer.

So hypothetically you could put stickier tires on the car, have a wheel bearing fail and then ford deny the warranty, but then youd have to go to court to get them to honor it. This is expensive for both parties so I believe is not usually done.

As far as the tune warranty, my understanding is that if you get the ford performance tune and the engine blows up and it is a direct result of the tune, then FORD would deny that as a warranty claim. BUT the Ford Performance Tune comes with a FORD PERFORMANCE warranty which would be the party that covers the repair cost, as long as it is within the terms (3years/36k miles).

So you are potentially voiding part of your factory warranty but the gaps are filled in with the aftermarket warranty.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
All of your answers are in this thread, just search the items you are looking for: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59463

$300 is the high end of the installs, most shops will be $200-$250 for the full install. I have heard some shops signing off on the work after you to install yourself. The warranty stuff is all covered on that thread, what it covers, how to register for it, etc. It is also on the FP website.

OP
OP

Materials

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All of your answers are in this thread, just search the items you are looking for: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59463

$300 is the high end of the installs, most shops will be $200-$250 for the full install. I have heard some shops signing off on the work after you to install yourself. The warranty stuff is all covered on that thread, what it covers, how to register for it, etc. It is also on the FP website.
Thanks that is helpful.

OP
OP

Materials

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$300 seems really high. I have seen most people quoted about an hour (so $100). Whoever installs it has to be ASE certified to maintain the warranty I believe.

My understanding is that in the US the consumer protection laws say that car manufacturers have to prove without a doubt that a modification caused whatever issue arises if they want to deny a warranty claim. Now that without a doubt would be in court which could be prohibitively expensive for a consumer.

So hypothetically you could put stickier tires on the car, have a wheel bearing fail and then ford deny the warranty, but then youd have to go to court to get them to honor it. This is expensive for both parties so I believe is not usually done.

As far as the tune warranty, my understanding is that if you get the ford performance tune and the engine blows up and it is a direct result of the tune, then FORD would deny that as a warranty claim. BUT the Ford Performance Tune comes with a FORD PERFORMANCE warranty which would be the party that covers the repair cost, as long as it is within the terms (3years/36k miles).

So you are potentially voiding part of your factory warranty but the gaps are filled in with the aftermarket warranty.
Thanks for your explanation. I bought this car on March 2015, so the 3/36000 thing will expire in ~ 7 months. I guess in this case, I would just install it myself as the warranty is going to expire soon anyway. Do you know if I install myself, would it affect any part of the factory warranty? (I extended the factory to 6/36000).

Sponsored

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Thanks for your explanation. I bought this car on March 2015, so the 3/36000 thing will expire in ~ 7 months. I guess in this case, I would just install it myself as the warranty is going to expire soon anyway. Do you know if I install myself, would it affect any part of the factory warranty? (I extended the factory to 6/36000).
Your 60k powertrain warrainty is unaffected unless the tune itself were to be the actual cause of the failure. It is pure conjecture for some one to suggest ford would automatically deny a claim.

When an engine blows up, the dealer sends the PCM to Ford for analysis by Ford engineering. The PCM will have the data of what was going on during that time. If they see there was an injector that failed for example and leaned out a cylinder that would be covered under your normal powertrain warranty up to 60,000 miles and Ford would replace the engine as the Ford Performance software had nothing do with that failure. They are legally bound and any instances we have of Ford denying engine replacements (which run about $7k) are all cases of using after market engine management software.

Ford Performance has an extensive and involved relationship with Ford Motor Co. so it's quite a different situation than the forum masters suggest "will happen"...

Couple points to mention:

1. If Ford Performance is backing their calibration up with a 36k mile warranty they are darn sure it's not going to be the cause of any engine failures as they would be footing the bill for a new engine which economically doesn't make sense for a smaller sister company like FP.

2. The new vehicle limited 60k mile powertrain warranty is still in tact. It would only be invalid if the cause was found to be directly related to the Ford Performance calibration and you have exceeded 36k miles. To suggest "they will just do this or just do that" once again is pure conjecture...we haven't had a single Ford Performance Calibrated car have a failure of any type, but just about every shop tuner out there has now failed at least one customer engine, some have failed multiple customer engines all under 50k miles.

3. Ford Performance took two years to develop their engine management software, they have access to Ford Engineering for development, access to a climactic engine dyno chamber, performed over 400 drag launches and drove the test car 60,000 miles and disassembled the engine after, they found no indication of wear that was any different than a factory tuned ecoboost engine at that mileage.

Having the paper work matters. My suggestion is find a local shop with an ASE certified tech, pay the $150~$200 (which is a fair price) and submit the paper work to Ford Performance. You'll have more grounds to stand on IF something happened which so far has not.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
So I don't know if I didn't explain something quite right or am not understanding the question...

The ford performance (abreviated FP frequntly on here) tune comes with a warranty which would cover any damage that is caused directly by the tune. This is because they are covering the buyer in the case that Ford denys a warranty claim because of the tune. The length of the FORD PERFORMANCE (not to be confused with FORD) warranty is 3year/36kmiles from the in-service date of the car (not the tune). If you got the extended bumper-to-bumper warranty and the FP tune, then (hypothetically) after 3yrs/36kmiles if your engine blew up and FORD blamed it on the tune then you would not be covered by the FP warranty anymore and would be SOL.

Just want to be clear this is worst case scenario. Ford could always overlook the tune and fix your warranty claim regardless it seems like luck of the draw to me. Not trying to scare you. I just try to share this insight as it is my understanding and I see people post all the time in the the FP Tune thread that the tune "does not void you factory warranty" and this is technically incorrect by my understanding. I am not a lawyer or warranty expert or anything, I am just an over-analyzer and have done a boat load of research in regard to the tune as I am interested in getting it as well.

OP
OP

Materials

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I don't know if I didn't explain something quite right or am not understanding the question...

The ford performance (abreviated FP frequntly on here) tune comes with a warranty which would cover any damage that is caused directly by the tune. This is because they are covering the buyer in the case that Ford denys a warranty claim because of the tune. The length of the FORD PERFORMANCE (not to be confused with FORD) warranty is 3year/36kmiles from the in-service date of the car (not the tune). If you got the extended bumper-to-bumper warranty and the FP tune, then (hypothetically) after 3yrs/36kmiles if your engine blew up and FORD blamed it on the tune then you would not be covered by the FP warranty anymore and would be SOL.

Just want to be clear this is worst case scenario. Ford could always overlook the tune and fix your warranty claim regardless it seems like luck of the draw to me. Not trying to scare you. I just try to share this insight as it is my understanding and I see people post all the time in the the FP Tune thread that the tune "does not void you factory warranty" and this is technically incorrect by my understanding. I am not a lawyer or warranty expert or anything, I am just an over-analyzer and have done a boat load of research in regard to the tune as I am interested in getting it as well.
I understand where you are coming from. I guess my point is that since my Ford factory warranty is going to expire in 7 months, it is really indifferent for me to spend $200 having a Ford dealer install it or me installing it myself, since after the warranty expires FP is not going to cover any issues caused by the tune anyway. Is that correct?

OP
OP

Materials

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your 60k powertrain warrainty is unaffected unless the tune itself were to be the actual cause of the failure. It is pure conjecture for some one to suggest ford would automatically deny a claim.

When an engine blows up, the dealer sends the PCM to Ford for analysis by Ford engineering. The PCM will have the data of what was going on during that time. If they see there was an injector that failed for example and leaned out a cylinder that would be covered under your normal powertrain warranty up to 60,000 miles and Ford would replace the engine as the Ford Performance software had nothing do with that failure. They are legally bound and any instances we have of Ford denying engine replacements (which run about $7k) are all cases of using after market engine management software.

Ford Performance has an extensive and involved relationship with Ford Motor Co. so it's quite a different situation than the forum masters suggest "will happen"...

Couple points to mention:

1. If Ford Performance is backing their calibration up with a 36k mile warranty they are darn sure it's not going to be the cause of any engine failures as they would be footing the bill for a new engine which economically doesn't make sense for a smaller sister company like FP.

2. The new vehicle limited 60k mile powertrain warranty is still in tact. It would only be invalid if the cause was found to be directly related to the Ford Performance calibration and you have exceeded 36k miles. To suggest "they will just do this or just do that" once again is pure conjecture...we haven't had a single Ford Performance Calibrated car have a failure of any type, but just about every shop tuner out there has now failed at least one customer engine, some have failed multiple customer engines all under 50k miles.

3. Ford Performance took two years to develop their engine management software, they have access to Ford Engineering for development, access to a climactic engine dyno chamber, performed over 400 drag launches and drove the test car 60,000 miles and disassembled the engine after, they found no indication of wear that was any different than a factory tuned ecoboost engine at that mileage.

Having the paper work matters. My suggestion is find a local shop with an ASE certified tech, pay the $150~$200 (which is a fair price) and submit the paper work to Ford Performance. You'll have more grounds to stand on IF something happened which so far has not.
Thanks again. My concern is that my 3/36000 factory warranty is going to expire in 7 months, so I am trying to figure out if paying ~150 to have someone install it for me would be better than if I do it myself.

justusdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Your powertrain warranty is 5 years, 60k miles. The factory 3 year, 36k warranty is the bumper-to-bumper.

Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I just installed the Ford Performance Ecoboost Performance Calibration kit on my 17 Ecoboost Mustang with 1500 miles two weeks ago.

I bought the kit from Levitton Ford for $506. For a tune and CAI that is a screaming deal.

My son manages a shop with ASE certified techs and I did the install there. My son printed me a work order for the install. I scanned that and the receipt from Levitton Ford and emailed to the address in the Ford Warranty document. I immediately got a robot response stating they would review my email and get back to me shortly. About two hours latter I got an email from a Ford Performance customer service rep stating that my warranty on the kit was registered and I was all set. I had the VIN in the email and it was also printed on the work order. My son has a propoganda display in the waiting area talking about their ASE certifications I had snapped a picture and attached it to the work order. Not sure if registering the warranty is a formality or all the info I provided did the trick but it was quick and painless.

The ProCal3 is different than other tuners. What you get in the box is just a OBDII to USB dongle. You need a laptop to do the tune install. The Voucher serial number in the box allows you to register on the FP site and down load the software for your laptop and install it. Once installed there is a help icon on the main page that will down load a PDF on how to install the tune.
You have to take the laptop to the car and you have to have an internet connection. Once plugged into the car the software will look at the ECU and determine which calibration file to install and down load it to the laptop. The software makes a backup of the stock tune on the laptop then it proceeds to install the new tune.

Installing the CAI is trivial and takes 15 minutes if you work slow. The installation of the new tune is about 15 minutes if the software has already been down loaded and installed.

If you decide to have a shop do it I would insist on having them use your laptop. That way you have your stock tune and performance tune available if you need them in the future. Plus the software does other things; you can revert back to stock, update if FP notifies you of a revision, read/clear DTC, change the tire diameter or rear gear ratio to keep the speedo correct, adjust for octane and recalibrate the knock sensors.

Now how does it work. I had an Unleashed tune on my 15 Ecoboost, it is not as strong but it is real close. The driveability is excellent and I have seen no drop in gas mileage.

Last thing, don't freak when you open the box. The CAI is assembled with the V8 tube to the throttle body. There is another piece that replaces that tube that connects the airfilter to the Ecoboost hose to the turbo. There is also a new MAF you can give a buddy with a GT and a new temp sensor for the intake.

OP
OP

Materials

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just installed the Ford Performance Ecoboost Performance Calibration kit on my 17 Ecoboost Mustang with 1500 miles two weeks ago.

I bought the kit from Levitton Ford for $506. For a tune and CAI that is a screaming deal.

My son manages a shop with ASE certified techs and I did the install there. My son printed me a work order for the install. I scanned that and the receipt from Levitton Ford and emailed to the address in the Ford Warranty document. I immediately got a robot response stating they would review my email and get back to me shortly. About two hours latter I got an email from a Ford Performance customer service rep stating that my warranty on the kit was registered and I was all set. I had the VIN in the email and it was also printed on the work order. My son has a propoganda display in the waiting area talking about their ASE certifications I had snapped a picture and attached it to the work order. Not sure if registering the warranty is a formality or all the info I provided did the trick but it was quick and painless.

The ProCal3 is different than other tuners. What you get in the box is just a OBDII to USB dongle. You need a laptop to do the tune install. The Voucher serial number in the box allows you to register on the FP site and down load the software for your laptop and install it. Once installed there is a help icon on the main page that will down load a PDF on how to install the tune.
You have to take the laptop to the car and you have to have an internet connection. Once plugged into the car the software will look at the ECU and determine which calibration file to install and down load it to the laptop. The software makes a backup of the stock tune on the laptop then it proceeds to install the new tune.

Installing the CAI is trivial and takes 15 minutes if you work slow. The installation of the new tune is about 15 minutes if the software has already been down loaded and installed.

If you decide to have a shop do it I would insist on having them use your laptop. That way you have your stock tune and performance tune available if you need them in the future. Plus the software does other things; you can revert back to stock, update if FP notifies you of a revision, read/clear DTC, change the tire diameter or rear gear ratio to keep the speedo correct, adjust for octane and recalibrate the knock sensors.

Now how does it work. I had an Unleashed tune on my 15 Ecoboost, it is not as strong but it is real close. The driveability is excellent and I have seen no drop in gas mileage.

Last thing, don't freak when you open the box. The CAI is assembled with the V8 tube to the throttle body. There is another piece that replaces that tube that connects the airfilter to the Ecoboost hose to the turbo. There is also a new MAF you can give a buddy with a GT and a new temp sensor for the intake.
I just ordered it from the same place today. Not sure how long it is gonna take to deliver.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Mine came in a couple of days

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
My dealer told me for what it is worth that the "by the book" cost is $202. I have all my work done if possible by the dealer just to build good will in the unfortunate case that something goes wrong.
Sponsored