Sponsored

HELP: Import my Canadian Mustang GT to California

geeti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blackie
Hi,
I bought my Mustang GT in Ontario Canada, and due to work change I need to relocate to California.

I'm wondering if I will run into any problem at registering it in Cali, because the emission tag under the hood says "not for sale in states with California emission standards".
Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,
I bought my Mustang GT in Ontario Canada, and due to work change I need to relocate to California.

I'm wondering if I will run into any problem at registering it in Cali, because the emission tag under the hood says "not for sale in states with California emission standards".
Yeah, that's going to be an issue. California is super strict, so not sure how you would get around that

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I'm surprised a Canadian car isn't CARB compliant.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Yeah, that's going to be an issue. California is super strict, so not sure how you would get around that
Actually, I'd guess people move to California all the time with non-CARB compliant cars. I think it's just that it can't be sold in California.

Dunno.....I'm interested to read more info on this.

JennyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Hi,

Simple google search.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr09a

Basically your screwed unless you make it carb certified. Maybe take it to a local ford and have them flash the computer to the Cali file unless there is more to it

Just be like most people drive around with your car with Canadian plates. Cops can’t make you get Cali plates. You must have a valid license from any state or country and car my be registered the same to be able to drive in Cali. Easy work around ZING

Just can’t reg it in Cali. I have 3 cars with Oregon plates and keep them Oregon since they don’t have smog. Cali can suck it and their stupid smog program that you can pay a smog person 100 bucks to pass you so dumb lol

Last edited:

Sponsored

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
I highly doubt the tag office is going to pop your hood and see the sticker, but for the emission shop just peel the sticker off.

Deeplakes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
17 GT/CS Convertible
Make sure you are absolutely positive about whatever you do, I had a similar situation bringing an American car to Canada, found out it was not acceptable to bring this model into the country and had to return and sell it in the US. What a pain, there are differences that you may not realize that disqualifies the car beyond emmisions

joez3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I think your best bet is to try and setup an phone call to Cal DMV (they do appointments) and explain your move. Since your coming here for work did your new employer set you up with a 'relocation' person, they might be able to give you some advice. BTW, if this is a temporary thing you might not have to do anything.
I move to Cal from PA in the early 80's. At that time I was told that I had 90 days to get a Cal drivers license and I had to register my car before the tags from the old state expired. I need to get a smog inspection that was just to verified that the car had everything on it that came from the factory. It was 72 pinto so that wasn't much. My understanding is that if your bring a car in from a different state and its a 'used car' (more then 2 years old or more then 7200 miles) it just needs to pass smog from state that its coming from. You don't need to convert it to Cal smog standards.
I think the link give above is for importing a grey market car.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I think your best bet is to try and setup an phone call to Cal DMV (they do appointments) and explain your move. Since your coming here for work did your new employer set you up with a 'relocation' person, they might be able to give you some advice. BTW, if this is a temporary thing you might not have to do anything......
I would absolutely, positively NOT do any of this.

Don't contact anyone, don't ask any questions, do tip anyone off.

Simply drive to Cali, and attempt to get the car registered to use there. Go to a DMV and attempt to register your car there. Don't mention the emissions sticker to anyone, don't breath a word about it. Take a few days, drive down there and attempt to get it all set to drive in California.

OP
OP

geeti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blackie
Thanks for the replies.
So correct me if I'm wrong. Even if the car is not California emission certified, it still can be registered if it passes the smog test? I think Ford just make all car identical with different label.

Sponsored

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
Your car is new enough, it will pass smog just fine and chances are, they won't even require it because of the year. Don't tell anyone jack squat. Sorry you have to move to California :frown: Hope it works out.

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
"Does my vehicle qualify for a smog exemption?

Smog inspections are required unless your vehicle is:

• Gasoline powered 1975 year model or older
  • Diesel powered 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight rating (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs
  • Electric
  • Natural gas powered with a GVWR rating of more than 14,000 lbs.
  • Motorcycle"

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Thanks for the replies.
So correct me if I'm wrong. Even if the car is not California emission certified, it still can be registered if it passes the smog test? I think Ford just make all car identical with different label.
Look.......

You're trying to set in concrete from Canada that which you cannot. You can't get the answer you're looking for sitting in front of a computer.

What kind of "emissions testing" does California do? Do they actually stick a sensor up the tail pipe? Or do they just scan OBDII to make sure there are no emissions codes, like Virginia? Would there be something in the OBDII scan that tells a California emissions check that it's a Canadian car?

You're going to have to do a test run, and go to California and try to register the car. It's the only way to actually know.

joez3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Had lunch with a old co-worker that move down here from Canada in the 90's, this is what he told me. California smog maybe the lest of your problems. He showed up at DMV shortly after getting here and they sent him US customs before they would do anything. CBP wanted to see the title for each car. He had 2 cars one he owned out right that wasn't a problem, it was some VW. The other he was still paying on, and the bank would not let it out of Canada, he ended up sending this back home to be sold. The next thing CBP want was a certificate from VW saying that the car meet US safety standards, this needed to come from VW. Once everything cleared he had to pay an import tax. You should spend sometime on: https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car
And: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr09a
After living here for about 2 years, the VW developed some engine problem. The car had a diesel that wasn't sold in California and he couldn't find a place to fix it. He ended up selling it.
These things change all the time, you should read the web sites so that you know what your getting into.

As for California smog testing changed a few years ago. If you buy a brand new car in state you don't need to get it tested for the first 5 years. After that you need to do this once every 2 years.
There are 4 major parts to the test: inspection to make sure nothing that has to do with smog junk has been modified. Then run the car until it gets up to temp and if its a ODBCII car do a computer scan to make sure make sure there a no error code and it is ready for test. If you have a check engine light the car will fail. They will do a sniff test (sometimes they do it at idle, sometimes I had to put the car on rollers and they do the test at different speeds). Next they check the gas tank/cap for leaks and (I forgot what the system is call) the charcoal canister that absorbs gas fumes.
Sponsored