Heated/Cooled Seats mystery

JohnDoe_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
My wife and I bought a used 2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium 6spd manual. So far we love it. But we’ve since run into a couple of issues with the ‘premium’ features. The car has heated/cooled seats and in the summer we ran into an issue where the drivers side seat wouldn’t cool. It did nothing, no relay click, but the dash button would show that it was enabled. The passenger seat worked, but didn’t blow very cool air. You could basically only hear that the air came on and that’s about it. I figured at the time it was a fuse, so I didn’t look too much into it.

Now that its winter, my wife is excited to use the heated seats. When you’d enable them, the same issue arose where the driver seat did nothing but the passenger seat would turn on, but the catch this time was that the passenger heated function would only stay enabled for 30 seconds.

I started researching and found that the control module plug under the passenger seat suffered from a known overvoltage/under sized ground issue. So, I pulled the connector only to find that its perfectly fine. Damn.

I checked fuse 12, 13, & 14 under the hood, no issues there. Damn. I checked fuse 12 in the passenger kick panel, no issues there. Damn, fuses all check out good. No easy fix here.

I decided to inspect the control module (found under the passenger seat) and found a tiny fragment of solder on one of the circuit pathways:

IMG_2875.jpg

That led me to replace the control module (GU5T-14B663-AA). Once I finally received it ($95 new from ebay), I was pretty excited as the cooled seat function worked on both seats and it pushed air pretty good too! However, the heated function is still not working. Damn. The heated function will turn on (I hear the relay click on the new control module) for both seats, however, it only stays on for 30 seconds then turns off. This is the primary cause of the whole post. It did this with the passenger seat with the old module which leads me to believe there's something that is affecting the climate system as a whole.

This has led me down a wild path with forscan and awkwardly positioning my quickly-approaching-middle-aged body under the seats looking for any sign of problems.

I couldn’t find anything under the seats that would lead me to believe something is happening there, except maybe that the grate on the blower motor seems insanely dusty, the passenger seat looks perfectly clean:
driver blower.jpg

I started to check forscan to see if maybe there was something there that might have been adjusted by a previous owner. The only thing I could find was that the heated/cooled seat button for the touch screen wasn’t enabled. Not sure why, so I enabled it. It works the exact same as the physical buttons, literally no difference.

Then I found the Oscilloscope in forscan and there you can watch processes as they come across. In the following graph you can see the 3rd (turquoise) and 6th (purple) graphs are the buttons pushed to enable cooled seats (they’re even called out as ‘cooled seat’ in the table below), but the graphs for heated seats are what see the corresponding increase. I found that odd, but hey, they worked without issue, so that’s something.

mustang graph1.jpg

Now, in the following table, for the time the cooled seats are enabled, it shows an error for each heated seat while the functional seat cooling is working without issue. Not sure why.

mustang table1.jpg

Next I turn the cooled seats off and you can see the step down in the graph with each button push (3 button presses to get them to the off position):

mustang graph2.jpg

Do the steps down correlate to a voltage decrease? I assume so, but I digress. Now you can see that all 4 of the buttons (D&P heat, D&P cooled) are in the ‘inactive’ state (since they aren’t being pressed) and the seat status is ‘Manual Off’, which I would expect since I manually turned them off.
mustang table2.jpg

Here comes the fun part. Once I turned off the cooled seats (I let them run for about 5 minutes), I decided to turn on the heated seats. You can see the top two graphs (red and green) are the button presses and the heated seats are enabled in graph 4 (pink) and graph 5 (yellow) show a steep increase.
mustang graph3.jpg

The value of both heated seats is now “Manual High Heat”. Great! Except that this status only lasts for 30 seconds, give or take a few seconds.
mustang table3.jpg

In the next graph you can see that the passenger side seat (graph 5-yellow) turns off and a few seconds later the drivers side seat (graph 4-pink) follows suit. But this time, they’re not accompanied with any button presses as seen previously
mustang graph4.jpg

I then go back to the table to check on the status (value) and see that they’re in “Manual Off”.
mustang table4.jpg

My question, is what would cause the manual off? This only happens with the heated seats.

I will add that in checking forscan, I found that someone disabled the seatbelt chime reminder. Maybe there is a setting I missed? I know there is an “auto off” for heated seats in my F150 that turns them off after 20 minutes automatically. Could that be the issue here? Perhaps a previous owner changed this setting by accident?

Right now I have the positive battery terminal off in hopes of draining the capacitors and resetting something. I’ll post back once I’ve let it drain for 24 hours.

I appreciate any advice or input.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JohnDoe_5oh

JohnDoe_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Well, the capacitor battery drain did nothing.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
@JohnDoe_5oh

THAT is some really interesting and awesome tech you have posted! Definite kudos - because it will surely help anyone in the future.

I’m going to add some to your thread which hopefully may help with your research (and get the seats working).

The pdf link I have attached below is (205) pages of Seat Tech from the Ford Shop Manual. Now it is 2015-2017, but much of the wiring/tech should be similar for 2018+.

Check your SYNC touchscreen - since you found some things amiss using Forscan, it’s possible prior owner was messing around too. See if prior owner added the “seat controls” to the SYNC screen. If so, go directly to the touch screen, turn the seats on from there and see if same thing happens. If they didn’t add the seat controls to SYNC, disregard this part.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachments/sm_16-pdf.436430/

Cemclo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I don’t think the seat buttons come on the sync screen in mustangs.. I think that’s supposed to be off rather than disabled

OP
OP
JohnDoe_5oh

JohnDoe_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
@JohnDoe_5oh

THAT is some really interesting and awesome tech you have posted! Definite kudos - because it will surely help anyone in the future.

I’m going to add some to your thread which hopefully may help with your research (and get the seats working).

The pdf link I have attached below is (205) pages of Seat Tech from the Ford Shop Manual. Now it is 2015-2017, but much of the wiring/tech should be similar for 2018+.

Check your SYNC touchscreen - since you found some things amiss using Forscan, it’s possible prior owner was messing around too. See if prior owner added the “seat controls” to the SYNC screen. If so, go directly to the touch screen, turn the seats on from there and see if same thing happens. If they didn’t add the seat controls to SYNC, disregard this part.

Thanks man. Yeah, I’ve gotten so much from forums with other projects I wanted to give back a little.

As far as the seat climate controls on the touch screen, they were disabled, so I enabled them to rule out the physical buttons as a potential issue. That did nothing, they operate the same way.

I had another thought. Since the heated seats take considerably more power than the cooling, I’m going to revisit the ground on the main controller. Given that the heated function only lasts for 30 seconds and won’t come back on (not even the cooling) until I cycle the engine, it seems like there might be an overload. Mine still has the single ground, so when I get home tonight I’m going to add the second ground to see if it makes any difference.

I’ll update then. Thanks for the reply!

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t think the seat buttons come on the sync screen in mustangs.. I think that’s supposed to be off rather than disabled
That is 100% correct. However when folks mess around in Forscan - then another person buys a used vehicle that was “messed” with via Forscan - that prior owner could have changed or disabled parameters that would affect other modules or functions.

This is why I asked the OP to check - because there have been instances where folks change the parameters to display the seat functions within SYNC (a function that may be standard on some Ford products, but not all). Since OP has knowledge of that Forscan hack and he’s checked the function via activating the “ghost” seat function in SYNC, we can rule out the issue isn’t a Forscan hack issue because he’s getting the same end results.

OP
OP
JohnDoe_5oh

JohnDoe_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
@JohnDoe_5oh

I've been reading over this PDF (which has a ton of information in it) and found this regarding recovery mode:

"If the Thermo-Electric Devices (TEDs) cool down after 30 seconds, but before 5 minutes (checked at 4 second intervals), the system is operating normally. An overtemperature DTC is still recorded even if the system recovers and is operating normally.
This is more likely to occur during extreme cabin temperatures with significant seat back sun load. If the system does not recover within 30 seconds in heat mode or within 5 minutes in cool mode, the SCME disables that seat (fault mode) and remains off until the ignition is cycled."

The part in bold is very interesting to me. That is exactly what is happening but no DTCs are being recorded. Very curious.

Cemclo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I've been reading over this PDF (which has a ton of information in it) and found this regarding recovery mode:

"If the Thermo-Electric Devices (TEDs) cool down after 30 seconds, but before 5 minutes (checked at 4 second intervals), the system is operating normally. An overtemperature DTC is still recorded even if the system recovers and is operating normally.
This is more likely to occur during extreme cabin temperatures with significant seat back sun load. If the system does not recover within 30 seconds in heat mode or within 5 minutes in cool mode, the SCME disables that seat (fault mode) and remains off until the ignition is cycled."

The part in bold is very interesting to me. That is exactly what is happening but no DTCs are being recorded. Very curious.
that’s crazy. Looks like a temp control issue? This is entertaining. You guys are impressive!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JohnDoe_5oh

In your 2nd image, you show and mention the “grate to the blower motor is insanely dusty”... That grate is actually the air filter to the blower motor which keeps out larger debris from entering the motor (similar to a cabin filter).

Most S550 owners are totally unaware that there air filters under their seats for the operation of the heated/cooling. Those blower motor air filters are in fact serviceable maintenance items that need to be periodically cleaned for maximum performance.

If the TED blower motor air filter is clogged, causing restriction of airflow to the TED, this will result in an overheating situation. This will likely cause the seat to enter a recovery mode that disables the TED but runs the blower motor to cool it down. Once the airflow restriction is removed, the seat should resume normal operation.

Although there are other potential faults that can affect the operation of these seats, air filter concerns are by far the most common factor causing TED faults.

Try this:
On the offending seat, remove the air filter completely (or clean it) and test the heating function again - does it stay on or does it still click off after 30 sec?

—-
This 2019 thread from the Expedition forum has some tech that may help you out too. The OP of the Expedition thread was having the same issue as you. He was able to determine it had to do with the foam near the blower motor collapsing and causing a blockage of air flow to the TED. He fixed it via trial & error through DIY diagnosis:
https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/climate-seats-sometimes-need-a-reboot.41383/

On the Raptor forums, they were experiencing the same, but the finding was shorted wires in the actual heating pad element (their thread has images). Once the wires in the pad element break, it causes an open circuit due to the short, which effectively shuts down the TED in the 30 sec time interval:
https://www.raptorforumz.com/thread...orking-is-there-an-easy-fix-or-take-in.16362/

ked

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Khaled
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
super nice write up

I am not going to add anything since it really seems you covered everything.

but I will say that mine had an issue the it seemed as if was always hot... then lots of fan noises start to come up.

I took my car ( 16 GT premium )to the dealer and at first they be their normal reaction.." noting is wrong with it "

I insisted on them doing further testing .. and sure enough they called me the next day saying something is wrong with the seat cooling system ( did not specify ) but asked me to wait couple of weeks till they order the replacement parts ( under my warranty ) and just called me last week telling me the parts are ready...

currently just waiting for the mechanic to figure out the sounds coming from my rear side after the airlift kit.. and will take it to the dealer to fix it, and also ask them about the issue.. maybe then I can come back and tell you guys exactly what is wrong..

Sponsored

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
super nice write up

I am not going to add anything since it really seems you covered everything.

but I will say that mine had an issue the it seemed as if was always hot... then lots of fan noises start to come up.

I took my car ( 16 GT premium )to the dealer and at first they be their normal reaction.." noting is wrong with it "

I insisted on them doing further testing .. and sure enough they called me the next day saying something is wrong with the seat cooling system ( did not specify ) but asked me to wait couple of weeks till they order the replacement parts ( under my warranty ) and just called me last week telling me the parts are ready...

currently just waiting for the mechanic to figure out the sounds coming from my rear side after the airlift kit.. and will take it to the dealer to fix it, and also ask them about the issue.. maybe then I can come back and tell you guys exactly what is wrong..
How do you service those filters? Do you remove the seats to get to them? There isn't a lot of room under the seat.

ked

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Khaled
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
How do you service those filters? Do you remove the seats to get to them? There isn't a lot of room under the seat.
Good question. unfortunately I don't have the answer, perhaps @Cobra Jet does

Ill make sure to check with the dealer as well once the car is out of there. perhaps they can tell me.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately no one has done an S550 DIY yet (probably because many don’t know these even exist)....

So I’ll try to help best I can with text, sorry no visuals. BUT if you go to the attached PDF link I posted above, starting on page 132 of that PDF, you will see the illustrations for the location of the seat blower motor air filter under the seat bottom.

Raise the seat as high as it can go. Once the seat is raised, you should see a round disc with white filter. You’re supposed to be able to grasp the disc, turn and pull down. The disc should come off easily from the motor allowing the owner to either clean it or replace it completely.

I don’t know if this link will help, it’s from the F150 forum, BUT the seats have the same type of blower motors/filters:

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/heated-cooled-seats-filter-304906/index3/

This YouTube vid is from an F150 owner who shows how to remove the filter (not best vid, but straight and to the point):

—-

If any S550 Owner attempts this can document with pics and tips for future reference, it would be great (and the first of its kind on here).

OP
OP
JohnDoe_5oh

JohnDoe_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Well adding a second ground (as suggested in the plug/control module replacement issue) did nothing. Same thing, same timing... Damn.

@JimC, I went ahead and climbed under the seat during my break to see if the filter would be as easy to clean (or even remove) as @Cobra Jet video suggested, and is displayed in the video. It definitely wasn't the case in mine. Mine doesn't have that filter (would have been nice), just the filter in the blower motor that the pdf @Cobra Jet attached (which has an insane amount of good information about these seats) and on page 1, and it says

"Climate Controlled Seats
This system allows on-demand, independent, electrical heating/cooling of each front seat.
The climate controlled seat system consists of the following components:
-Blower motor, located within each front seat cushion and backrest
-Air filter integrated to each blower motor assembly (not serviceable)
-Climate controlled seat buttons, located on the FDIM (touchscreen)
-Climate controlled seat buttons, located on the FCIM"

I actually broke a piece off trying to pry the attachment apart (circled), but its no biggie. The damn thing is stuck together. Again, would have been nice.
IMG_2901.jpg

I went ahead and ordered a new blower motor ($75 on ebay) as the drivers side filter looks pretty bad anyhow, as you can see. In the same PDF referenced by @Cobra Jet (page 173), the replacement procedure is documented, and it looks like a massive pain. You have to disassemble most of the lower seat cushion. I want to try to clean the current blower motor, if its possible, but I don't want to take the seat apart twice, so when the new motor gets here, I'll remove the old one and attempt to clean it prior to installing the new one to see if that makes any difference (I'm not inclined to think so as the passenger side looks pretty clean to me and its doing literally the exact same thing).

I'll update here once I have the new motor installed.

mike3105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 (pre-FL) manual GT
My car is at the garage with the same symptoms at the moment. If you can, check the resistance over the heater elements. I think it's a known issue that when they go (and it seems surprisingly common reading up on it) that they pull too much current and disable themselves. My drivers side is doing the same as yours at the moment. I get 10 seconds of fans, 5 seconds of silence, then the fans, then either nothing or the relay click and nothing, with the button still illuminated. It then stops the cooled seats on the drivers side working. The garage have tried to fix it once and failed, once it's done I'll revisit with the solution (and paperwork if I can get it).
Sponsored