Sponsored

Harrys Lap Timer VS VIRB 30 Ultra VS Racechrono

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I am currently using Harrys Lap Timer on Android for recording my lap times and putting out videos.

While the set up is potent I find if very finicky and some times I just does not work.. add in a GoPro and a external GPS and I am spending a a lot of time getting everything set up before each session.

I went to the track and out of 5 sessions I only got 2 session of data. I think the Iphone version may work better so I may try that but Id have to buy the app again.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/522869. The VIRB Ultra 30 seems to take care of the video. It has a built in hirate GPS and Gyro Sensor. So it will remove alot of the guess work.

Has anyone used this. The only thing I think I lose is the ability to export data for analysis(Which is a pretty huge thing to lose). It also looks like the Virb might have limited use with out a desktop.

Edit I see a race chrono app also that looks interesting (http://racechrono.com/)
Sponsored

Last edited:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I have similar issues with TrackAddict and iPhone - loose sessions or it freezes or it records the session but not the laps. I like what RaceChrono puts out but I actually PREFER to go to my computer and setup/edit the video. I don't feel the need necessarily to have the video ready immediately on my iPhone.

OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I use QStarz lap timer.

Works great. Display is configurable in circuit mode. And I can pull the telemetry data out and use any of the overlay software out there to put it over video. Also comes with its own software to analyze your laps.

I also have a GoPro5 and currently you cant pull the gps data out of it to calculate lap times. Its kinda a pain in the ass to make videos with the GoPro gps stuff anyway, takes way to long.

Have yet to find one device that does both well. You kinda have to just do it yourself.
Can you do some analysis on the device? Split times? and speed lap vs lap?

I see you can. Hmm that is interesting I might go that route next season

Last edited:

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
You might also look at the Waylens camera system.

The issue seems to be the Aim Solo is the only track day solution that really does the data side right. But it doesn't include a camera.

So you have cheap cell phone apps that are spotty and require external OBD and maybe cameras (and maybe still don't work so well with the extras).

Camera based systems that often don't do the data well (especially tracks mapping and laps times).

And the Solo which is rather pricy and doesn't include a camera.

Given the progress of electronics, it's disappointing that we still have no particularly good solutions.

Sponsored

OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Im going to try race chrono. I can probably pirate that and then if I like it ill buy it.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
You might also look at the Waylens camera system.

The issue seems to be the Aim Solo is the only track day solution that really does the data side right. But it doesn't include a camera.

So you have cheap cell phone apps that are spotty and require external OBD and maybe cameras (and maybe still don't work so well with the extras).

Camera based systems that often don't do the data well (especially tracks mapping and laps times).

And the Solo which is rather pricy and doesn't include a camera.

Given the progress of electronics, it's disappointing that we still have no particularly good solutions.
We have great solutions. Each one of the iPhone/Android apps accomplishes a ton on a device we all already have. The issue is, that is A LOT of processing for that device to accomplish while at the same time recording video. My iPhone, even on a cool day, gets blazing hot after a session. And on top of that, there just isn't enough data acquisition to have fluid gauges. But the sheer fact that a $20 app on a phone can accomplish so much and yet these "stand alone lap timer devices" are $500... what?! Does not compute.

OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
We have great solutions. Each one of the iPhone/Android apps accomplishes a ton on a device we all already have. The issue is, that is A LOT of processing for that device to accomplish while at the same time recording video. My iPhone, even on a cool day, gets blazing hot after a session. And on top of that, there just isn't enough data acquisition to have fluid gauges. But the sheer fact that a $20 app on a phone can accomplish so much and yet these "stand alone lap timer devices" are $500... what?! Does not compute.
I find harrys laptimer when it works is fine. I have no issues with the amount of data captured. The video recording is offloaded to sub processor it doesnt tax the phone as much as you would think(android)

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm currently building a Racecapture/Pro setup. Fun but tons of work. I'll have an update on my build thread soon. I've got the wire harness figured out for shift lights and a second CAN bus for a ShiftX2.

lizardman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP
Vehicle Showcase
I use the VIRB Ultra 30 for AutoX. The video is great. I can overlay and make video quickly with the desktop software. I can usually get 1 1/2 hours off of a fully charged battery. It also has Bluetooth support, so you can record ODB data as well. Harry's lap-timer will interface with it as a video source. It records it's data into a .fit file. Currently the weak link is data analysis. RaceRender supports the fit format but the way garmin stores the data it's a PIA.

Sponsored
OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
One of the things I like to do is between sessions check corner speeds for different lines.

OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I use the VIRB Ultra 30 for AutoX. The video is great. I can overlay and make video quickly with the desktop software. I can usually get 1 1/2 hours off of a fully charged battery. It also has Bluetooth support, so you can record ODB data as well. Harry's lap-timer will interface with it as a video source. It records it's data into a .fit file. Currently the weak link is data analysis. RaceRender supports the fit format but the way garmin stores the data it's a PIA.
Can you email a fit file i would like to see what it looks like.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Doesn't Aim have something called a 'SmartyCam'?

Not sure if that's an add-on camera or a camera with the data side built in.

Norm

lizardman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP
Vehicle Showcase