Sponsored

Guide me! Good deal on a base 2012 GT, or wait for 2015 Premium GT on order

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
First of all - thank you for your service!

Regarding your decision making process, the amount of money you are talking about is definitely worthy of consideration. Having now owned an S197 for almost 5 years as a daily driver, and having been in love with the 2015 since December, here is my intial take on the differences. Please note that I have only sat in non-moving 2015 cars and recently had a ride in one (see here), which has brought a little more data to the picture.

Engine performance - you are getting 2 very comparable V8 experiences with the 5.0L. I certainly understand one can debate the finer points of straight line acceleration based on the recent videos, but unless you regularly race your car, these are meaningful only for discussion sake.

Handling (street)
- there are so many variables to consider, but on the street, the new IRS will continue to have an advantage in helping to put the power down when you come out of a corner (stock-for-stock). This is what I noticed from the passenger seat when I had my quick ride. My 2010 GT is the stock suspension without the Track Pack, and the 2015 car I rode in was has the Performance Pack. Once you modify, things start changing. You can do a lot of things to the S197 suspension (many years worth of aftermarket experience) and make it into anything you want. We are still on the leading edge of development for the IRS, and I suspect it will take a good 3-6 months before we have experiences and parts availability to really make changes there.

exterior design - goes without saying; if you like one better than the other, than the decision is easy in this regard. I happen to like the styling of both cars, but for different reasons. In fact, I am actually not looking forward to trading in my 2010, but I can't swing the $$ for both, especially at the new GT's price (premium model).

interior materials - indeed, the new car has many new interior parts that are of a better quality than '10-'14 cars. However, the '10-'14s were noted for their distinct improvements over the hard plastic everywhere of the '05-'09s (although there was an option to try and pad the dash top with a leather material). The fit and finish on both cars, to me are comparable, but the S550 excels in terms of the front seat room ergonomics with the redesigned dash.

seats - the new base seats are a clear winner in terms of their construction and cushioning. I found the cloth seats in both the V6 and GT to be very appealing over the ones in my 2010.

driver technologies - there are definitely more of them on the new cars when you purchase the premium trim levels. However, some of the features do exist on the S197 (Track Apps, selectable steering feel, pony projector lights, Sync). On my 2010, the main thing I have is Sync, which I use really only for linking my phone for phone calls. I don't really use it much for playing music or for other services. Clearly, the new car has the MyFordTouch interface and Sync integration, which makes it more powerful than the S197 generation.

I like what one of the previous posters framed in the decision making by asking "what will you like 5 years down the road?" That's a wise question to ask, given that's partly what you will be dealing with going to a less expensive but previous version of the Mustang. Definitely not right or wrong answer here - good luck with your decision!
Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Do you buy a car for "a deal".... or for what you want to drive..?

Because the Focus and Fiesta all have great deals right now....

OP
OP

sponkey21

Threads
Reaction score
Great advice from all. I do genuinely think I would be happy with either one. I have driven far nicer cars and still always felt very positive about the S197s. I thought my old fox 5.0 convertible was a blast, and have sat in and driven many base S197s before. There is nothing about them that bothers me. I do think as an enlisted servicemember that the 2015, while I have budgeted and *can* afford it, is a little bit more than I *should* spend with baby #2 on the way.
I have looked at S197 premiums but in Hawaii they are far more expensive than the mainland. The lowest I have seen listed is 29000. I know it's negotiable but not that negotiable. Maybe prices will drop more after the s550s hit dealerships.
Thanks again for the advice. I still have a few days to think about it before I go back to the dealership to see what kind of deal I can swing.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Well then congratulations on the baby as well! Personally I waited for the kids to be a little older and no more on the way to get a new car for myself

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
I was in your situation not too long ago. Cosmo briefly touched on a VERY good solution too.

I have been waiting several years..... Thoughts?
I had been in beater after beater after beater through highschool and college lol. For around 2 years I drove a 23 year old car and it was older than I was. After some major upcoming repairs started to rear their ugly face I decided to buy new, but I couldn't afford a mustang (nor its insurance). At the time I had been following the '12 Focus pretty religiously. Cut out and got a phenomenal deal on an '11 SES, fully loaded (sans navi, it wasn't offered), and I LOVED it. Although that generation was ugly and a mere re-skin of the first gen, it was still impressive to drive, looked decent with the SES's SVT multispokes/blackout/body kit, and had MASSIVE discounts + 0% interest for 5 years lol. Even speed wasn't a factor as they were very close in a straight line. Easy decision against the upcoming '12.

So I thought :headbonk:. Months later the '12 dropped and I lost any and all affection for the '11 (my first ever brand new car, 'loaded', and financially attractive). Test drove a near-base model and it was aaaaaall over haha. I dumped my still-brand-new loaded focus for a midrange '12, even downgrading to cloth seats and 6.9% interest. A year and a half later I traded up to another brand new focus with every single option but $3k in rebates and 3% outside of Ford Credit. Yes. It was that f***ing good. That loaded '11 was like umFufu compared to the base Sophia Vergara I first test drove, haha. Best decision despite some money lost along the way.

BUY THE NEW MODEL!!!! If $38k+taxes is too much for you right now, just get a base model. That mustang your looking at is a bad comparison to a new one because its used. It has mileage, mustang abuse, and $$ maintenance very soon (minimum tires and brakes). Car and Driver (who always RAVED about the S197) admitted it had a 'crackhouse interior', and that was with a Premium! Your looking at a base model. The ENTIRE DOOR top to bottom is little-tykes feeling plastic.

you will feel like your sitting in a beater after 2 months in a base S197. The Base S550 is a BIG difference in that it also has:
- Auto dimming mirror
- Leather steering wheel and boot
- Track apps/Gauge cluster telemetry
- Power driver + Passenger seats w/power lumbar
- LED fogs
- Diamond mesh Aluminum trim
- Keyless everything, push start
- 14" 4 piston fronts
- Improved MT82 with trans cooler
- Oil cooler
- Launch control
- Limited slip diff (I dont think base s197 has one)
- IRS!!! (yes you will feel a difference)
- Seats: They are noticeably more comfortable, Ive sat in both. Also the premium S550 has the same exact seats as the base model. They are just modified to fit the heat/cool hardware and re-skinned with leather.

If your worried about the Mod bug, $2500 is a lot of dough but its a steal for the content PP and it may also keep you happy for a while given it includes so much. Otherwise F*** the snooty negative reviews, the GT is fantastic in any form.

I have been back and forth over what Mustang to buy for myself now including the S197. After months of contemplating I decided I would still choose Base S550 over a Premium S197. It loses no styling and is very well equipped for a base...I almost changed my own order several times to a base model. You will still save 5 grand and get a car that is WORLDS different. On the other hand, the S197 will feel like another old used car just with a sweet engine.

Sponsored

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
oh and by the way, I am currently car-less after my focus was smashed. I have TONS of incentive to cut out for an S197 instead of waiting out this new model, and given that I have never owned a Mustang I would be ecstatic to have one. I am spending serious money on rentals every day that I wait. Still confidently going with the S550.

(no offense to anyone in S197's I love them and any mustang is better than none.)

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
- Limited slip diff (I dont think base s197 has one)
Yes, there were limited slip differentials across the model range in model year 2012.

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
No way I'd spend 38 if I was in your shoes, especially once you mention a second kid on the way. If you really wanted a new one, I'd get the base ECO.
Not that far off from the money you would spend on the 12. Base interior of the 14 I just got is better than the premium to me, I'm just not into bling, especially hate touch screens. It will be plenty fast to get you in trouble, and should net you a superior chassis.

akwal07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 mustang kona blue v6
Get the 12 or if you can a 13...grab an intake + a tune + gears and have a blast...save some for the kids

ShadowHorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 GT
Life decisions.... Sighhhhhh :confused: :shrug:

Reality is though, they're both Mustangs and they're both kick ass. Its a win win which ever you decide! :thumbsup:
Sponsored