Sponsored

Gt500 or s550 gt

Phelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future s550
Alright, I'm sure this might be a question that brings biased questions, but I'm undecided between a 13/14 or a a new gt with a Roush. I mean, the shelby would be amazing, but I can get a new car with warranty and about the same power. They'd be about the same price. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
New stg3 roush is more expensive. You can buy a 2014 gt500 loaded with less than 5000 miles for 50-55k. I would defiantly choose the Shelby. Better tranny, motor and so on.

The interior defiantly goes to the s550.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
The new coyote is arguably superior to the 5.8l trinity, as the coyote is showing to hold boost very very well.. It is also must cheaper to replace if something goes wrong. The 13/14 GT500s should still have warranty though. The transmissions would be more in favor of the Shelby, but not by much as the tremec has issues of its own. The s550 will have a better ride and an updated interior.

The shelby would be more prestigious, and more of an attention grabber. The s550 is a great car but there is a drawback to how many are selling, they'll be more common.

OP
OP
Phelix

Phelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future s550
New stg3 roush is more expensive. You can buy a 2014 gt500 loaded with less than 5000 miles for 50-55k. I would defiantly choose the Shelby. Better tranny, motor and so on.

The interior defiantly goes to the s550.
I'd get the phase one supercharger. Not the roush car

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
A version of what I wrote in another of the same type of threads (there's several and they come up monthly):

I seriously shopped later model GT500s, FWIW, I was specifically interested in a convertible. So I spent some time really investigating the options, looking at/in/around both models, and the perks of each wound up looking like this:

GT500 (5th Gen)
---------------------------------
+227 HP that's easily tuned for another +1xx HP
Shelby collectability/exclusivity

GT (6th Gen)
Everything else.

Seriously ... looks, ride quality, handling, comfort, features, electronics - plus a full warranty (though a '14 would have some left).

Also, with late model GT500s, you're also looking at a _very_ pricey motor should that "easy to tune" motor wind up grinding.

At the end of the day, I'm not racing on the street/highway, and the GT with 435HP combined with the 3.73 gears in the PP are fun, exciting, and will blow the tires loose on demand if that's your thing :) I'd also rather start with the better overall platform, if my plans were to include a serious HP increase (i.e., GT + Whipple evens out all the straight line performance difference, but you still have the better everything else).

[edit]

I meant to add, with convertibles, loaded, and the great discounts, I was also looking at $10K more for a 13/14 GT500 (the 11/12 models were pretty much the same as the discounted '16 GT, but comparing that model GT500 it was even more lopsided).

Just my $0.02 :)

OP
OP
Phelix

Phelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future s550
A version of what I wrote in another of the same type of threads (there's several and they come up monthly):

I seriously shopped later model GT500s, FWIW, I was specifically interested in a convertible. So I spent some time really investigating the options, looking at/in/around both models, and the perks of each wound up looking like this:

GT500 (5th Gen)
+227 HP that's easily tuned for another +1xx HP
Shelby collectability/exclusivity

GT (6th Gen)
Everything else.

Seriously ... looks, ride quality, handling, comfort, features, electronics - plus a full warranty (though a '14 would have some left).

Also, with late model GT500s, you're also looking at a _very_ pricey motor should that "easy to tune" motor wind up grinding.

At the end of the day, I'm not racing on the street/highway, and the GT with 435HP combined with the 3.73 gears in the PP are fun, exciting, and will blow the tires loose on demand if that's your thing :) I'd also rather start with the better overall platform, if my plans were to include a serious HP increase (i.e., GT + Whipple evens out all the straight line performance difference, but you still have the better everything else).

[edit]

I meant to add, with convertibles, loaded, and the great discounts, I was also looking at $10K more for a 13/14 GT500 (the 11/12 models were pretty much the same as the discounted '16 GT, but comparing that model GT500 it was even more lopsided).

Just my $0.02 :)
Thanks! I tried finding a thread but couldn't, sorry! Every time I see a s550, whether in real life or pictures, I can't help but look. I'm not looking to drag race so I think a regular gt and building it would be the way to go. The Shelby's are just so awesome Haha. Thanks for your help!

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Thanks! I tried finding a thread but couldn't, sorry! Every time I see a s550, whether in real life or pictures, I can't help but look. I'm not looking to drag race so I think a regular gt and building it would be the way to go. The Shelby's are just so awesome Haha. Thanks for your help!
Yeah, I mean, the HP is pretty intoxicating. I had a 550+ HP Z06, a 4th Gen Supra ~750HP, so I've had a few high[er] HP cars, that were definitely quicker than my current '16 GT.

I guess since I'd already experienced having those cars, the HP impact wasn't as much of a deal to me, and the 6th Gen cars are _really_ nice. The ride is compliant, but sporty, the interior is miles better, the content/feature set is better.

I have a convertible with the Perf Package and it's a _blast_ around town with the manual + 3:73 gears. It's not a daily driver, and most of my driving is around my local town, where it's mostly < 45mph.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Get the s550. Slap on a ford racing supercharger.

Keep the peace of mind, enjoy a better car, and smile till your cheeks are sore as you stomp the old GT500 in performance.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
GT500 will hold its value better. If you like to swap cars regularly and care about money, that would be the better choice.

OP
OP
Phelix

Phelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future s550
GT500 will hold its value better. If you like to swap cars regularly and care about money, that would be the better choice.
I "plan" on keeping it for a long time and modifying it myself

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
S550 is a far better chassis, 2015 coyote is a better engine (a lot of Boss 302 headwork went into the 15+), there are a ton of GT500s but they probably hold their value better than a SC S550.
Sponsored