15 GT
mustang already has aluminum hood and fenders
Sponsored

nomorehw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
quite a bit disappointed with the weight, maybe because they keep touting it's lighter than the GT350 140lb! even give it some slack I was expecting it's about 100lb light than the GT.
I guess the car itself is so big, so hard to make it light

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT
They said the crank was lighter than the coyote crank I believe, the block was not very different, heads are new castings that are lighter, and the oil pan is composite material. So I don't know where you get that it's heavier than the Coyote.

Yes the crank is rifle drilled (drilled axially down the center) and I do believe the pistons are also slightly smaller (shorter not smaller in diameter, for less mass/inertia) to allow for higher engine speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blondie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang V6
so as i understand it. the gt350 track pack weighs the same as a gt pp (3790)

but you get so much more, so this is good news!

Backorder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan...:-(
so as i understand it. the gt350 track pack weighs the same as a gt pp (3790)

but you get so much more, so this is good news!

Yeah, not seeing the disappointment. It's like before the regular 2015 stang came out and some people were thinking it lost 400+ lol

Then again, I don't care about weight I was sold on this car a long time ago and extra weight here and there won't make a difference for someone like me who isn't a pro!

Sponsored

blondie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang V6
Yeah, not seeing the disappointment. It's like before the regular 2015 stang came out and some people were thinking it lost 400+ lol

Then again, I don't care about weight I was sold on this car a long time ago and extra weight here and there won't make a difference for someone like me who isn't a pro!
well it is the same weight but is it lighter up front?

also it was my understanding this was the first mustang
to have aluminum hood and fenders

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
A base GT PP with light seats, light wheels/tires, and good aftermarket suspension and a good bolt-on power package is where it's at. Just as light, more power, and not as costly.

I like the GT350 - but for the handling enthusiast, I am not seeing the value in it thus far, unfortunately.

I am going to guess the suspension and brake components on the GT350 weigh substantially more.

Rob WH

Gettin' old
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
1987 LX coupe(and others), 14 Escape
Then it's not curb weight.
The whole "curb weight" thing has been all over the place for ages. Even so, I took his comment as... 1 official curb weight, but.... but.... the GT350 will weigh xxx and that, to me, meant he wasn't talking about an official curb weight, but the weight of the car.

Maybe he meant it as you see it, but to me, since he specifically pointed out official curb weight vs actual ... well, I see it as I see it.

Either way, I think 3,650 is outstanding! This car is a MONSTER. :ford:

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
A base GT PP with light seats, light wheels/tires, and good aftermarket suspension and a good bolt-on power package is where it's at. Just as light, more power, and not as costly.

I like the GT350 - but for the handling enthusiast, I am not seeing the value in it thus far, unfortunately.

I am going to guess the suspension and brake components on the GT350 weigh substantially more.
Disagree on all points.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Disagree on all points.
That is fine, we all have opinions.

My opinion is that a GT PP with Corbeau seats and HRE Wheels weighing 3590lbs (full tank of fuel), with full bolt-on power mods making > 526hp....is right next to a GT350 as long as it has a good suspension system. :cool:

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

My opinion is that a GT PP with Corbeau seats and HRE Wheels weighing 3590lbs (full tank of fuel), with full bolt-on power mods making > 526hp....is right next to a GT350 as long as it has a good suspension system. :cool:
Don't forget, good tires too:D.

I agree with you too.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The GT PP with a quarter tank weights 3670 as shown Few pages back. With a full tank that's almost 3750. So if you can shed 160 pounds with wheels and seats on a PP, you can do the same with the Gt350.

As I have stated earlier, The Gt350 brakes are likely lighter with the two piece rotors, suspension also likely comparable in weight but not performance.
Now you can add a bunch of bolt ons, but then you will have a spent 45k+ mustang worth <30k and will still fall short on the track.

But as a company that profits from modifying cars, I understand your view point. The GTPP is a fantastic performance bargain, but the Gt350 is just another level of car

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
The GT PP with a quarter tank weights 3670 as shown Few pages back. With a full tank that's almost 3750. So if you can shed 160 pounds with wheels and seats on a PP, you can do the same with the Gt350.

As I have stated earlier, The Gt350 brakes are likely lighter with the two piece rotors, suspension also likely comparable in weight but not performance.
Now you can add a bunch of bolt ons, but then you will have a spent 45k+ mustang worth <30k and will still fall short on the track.

But as a company that profits from modifying cars, I understand your view point
You realize the weight given was the R weight, right? It already has the 16-18lbs wheels. The HRe wheels that Kelly is talking about are probably 19-20 but that is my guess.

Rob WH

Gettin' old
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
1987 LX coupe(and others), 14 Escape

I would think on a drag strip, you're right. I still 100% doubt it would be the same story on a road course w/ same driver. Besides, at that point, you've spent about the same(maybe even more) as you would for the GT350(not this short 15 run, of course) and you'd still lack the name and presence, plus... I'd bet the GT350 actually has stronger components and better cooling for the engine, rear, brakes, trans... all of it.

If we're talking about a DD in the same breath, I'd surely take the route you showed here. In the long run, it's less out of pocket for maintenance, if nothing else. Also, if you total a Mustang GT and are unhurt, you take your lumps and move on whereas if the same happens in a GT350, you're gonna feel that forever!

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You realize the weight given was the R weight, right? It already has the 16-18lbs wheels. The HRe wheels that Kelly is talking about are probably 19-20 but that is my guess.
Yes I do, and still some fuzzy math. The R is 130lbs lighter than the regular gt350 with a whole slew of changes, yet he thinks seats and wheels alone with drop a GTPP 160lbs. So that's my point, if he can shave 160lbs off a GTPP, anyone can do the same with a base Gt350. So his sub 3600 car with a full tank is slightly skeptical, especially when those single Piece rotors are almost 40lbs each.

Either way, nothing official yet and reposted by an author who still thinks the car has ceramic brakes. Also no mention of the 3650 was with or without the electronics package. I'll wait and see what the car is in scales
Sponsored

Last edited: