Sponsored

GT350R track alignment

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
I have a very smooth driving style also. I am not into tossing the car around as it slows you down. ;) I did two events with the car in the stock configuration, just switching out tires to get a feel for the car and what tire worked best for my driving style and abilities.

I did not like how the rear end still had some squirming and wanted to slide out a little if upset in turn. So I did everything but the Steeda Strut braces at once, knowing that was probably going to happen anyway with the alignment I wanted to run and the inherent weakness in the IRS bushings and link designs.

The car is completely different and running on the same track in similar conditions I picked up over a second a lap as the ability (confidence) to enter the corner quicker/deeper and exit earlier with full throttle on was greatly improved. This was on a fairly short 1.7m track. I will have time differences on the other tracks over the next six weeks.

That said, I probably should have tried the Steeda IRS braces and subframe alignment kit with a revised alignment first before doing the bushings. Not that I would have stopped there as I firmly believe the bushing and link designs are in real need of improvement, but to see how well they worked with the stock suspension based on a subjective analysis with them installed after the bushings.

As for the NVH, there is a slight difference, but not much at all. The FTBR items are designed to provide as close to stock experience as possible while increasing performance. I do not notice it on smooth roads, even in sport mode, but there is a difference on rougher roads and those that are uneven. I am not going sugarcoat it, but it would never keep me from daily driving the car if needed. Of course, between the exhaust and turning up AC/DC, it does not bother me regardless of road conditions. :D

What I do know is that at the last event, driving against another GT350 and a GT350R with similar drivers or better on the same tires, I was anywhere from two to four seconds a lap faster on average. And this was my first time on this particular track with the car, the others already had a few events on this track.

Part of that is the track suits my driving style and I came up to speed quickly, but most of it is the changes to the car. The rear end is "really" planted now and throttle on capabilities right after apexing is so much better now. I had to relearn when to throttle on and I can do it in a more aggressive manner also. The last benefit, I love trail braking where appropriate and I no longer have any concerns with the car doing it.
It sounds like our driving style is very similar. I too am a trailbraker and love using the throttle to steer the car. I come from a couple of GT500s (albeit modified, one heavily) and a fox body race car. The rear end stability of the 350 was off the hook good compared to what I was used to, especially with the Cup2s. I never thought I would mess with the OEM setup. I chased around trying to find the right feel in my GT500s for years, which I immediately found in the 350. Don't get me wrong, rolling a well set up GT500 around the track is SUPER FUN...but the slippery slope of modding went a bit too far for me. NVH eventually became something I was not fond of, and I greatly appreciate how the 350 does both the street and the track extremely well.

Given the goal to retain OEM streetability, which mods would you have left off your list?
Sponsored

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP
It sounds like our driving style is very similar. I too am a trailbraker and love using the throttle to steer the car. I come from a couple of GT500s (albeit modified, one heavily) and a fox body race car. The rear end stability of the 350 was off the hook good compared to what I was used to, especially with the Cup2s. I never thought I would mess with the OEM setup. I chased around trying to find the right feel in my GT500s for years, which I immediately found in the 350. Don't get me wrong, rolling a well set up GT500 around the track is SUPER FUN...but the slippery slope of modding went a bit too far for me. NVH eventually became something I was not fond of, and I greatly appreciate how the 350 does both the street and the track extremely well.

Given the goal to retain OEM streetability, which mods would you have left off your list?
Good question. I am in that same boat...GT500 went too far...NVH became annoying....any mod now I carefully consider the implication of NVH. If you have had your car on an alignment rack for track settings you know the rear camber is a challenge to dial in. These look very promising with no NVH.

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-rear-adjustable-camber-arms-15-16-all-555-4123.html

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
The car is completely different and running on the same track in similar conditions I picked up over a second a lap as the ability (confidence) to enter the corner quicker/deeper and exit earlier with full throttle on was greatly improved. This was on a fairly short 1.7m track. I will have time differences on the other tracks over the next six weeks.
That is a very impressive improvement ... over the duration of the race, that really adds up!

Look forward to more input & reviews.

Best Regards,

TJ

Bingo13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350R, '16 GT350 TRP, '18 GT PP2, '03 Cobra
^this is why if you really plan on tracking your car not to buy a GT350R.
I also have similar mods, before I bought my 2016 track pack I considered a base GT350. My plan at that time was to do the same suspension mods that I already have done but to also swap the stock shocks/struts for DSSV dampers. I'm glad I didn't because at the time I ordered my track pack nobody knew the base and tech would have the trans without the pump.
I have been talking to the guys at DSC and I'm waiting for my control module to arrive, Jordan also told me about the Tractive dampers. These would also keep all the mode selections and also work with the DSC controller. But for 8k I'll wait lol.
I agree, I had an R on order, waited forever for it and then the dealer sold it out from underneath me. A dealer I have countless cars from for the last 26 years. So I found a Track Pack in the color I really wanted and am so happy I did it that way now.

I am going to wait on the new dampers, not sure how much more I would gain at my driving level, plus I am not in time trials or those activities, so the improvements would probably be a waste for me at the moment. I do not mind spending money on the car, but at $8K, that buys me another set of track wheels and a few sets of slicks, which would be my next step anyway. :thumbsup:

Bingo13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350R, '16 GT350 TRP, '18 GT PP2, '03 Cobra

I would have dropped the FTBR Knuckle Spherical Bearing assemblies if forced to pick an item. I stayed away from the two biggest NVH causing kits, the FRPP differential and subframe mount kits. The subframe kit was recommended by several different track rats, but with a warning about noticeable NVH increases. The need for the differential kit is still debatable among the people I discuss setups considering the other mods on the car.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Speedfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Good stuff Guys! Keep the info coming.

As a newbie to a GT350, I am getting ready to figure out my track set-up. I tracked a 03' Cobra until I sold it late last year. In the 13 years of tracking the car, I had the set-up nailed. Now, it's like I am starting over again..... I did a test day at Sebring last weekend with a total stock set-up (I do have Steeda Jacking rails, Clutch spring and the GL pedal mount). I never changed the alignment or anything else. I found the limit of the tires and the brake pads once I got used to the car in the third session, so now it is time to mod.

I have the Watson bar at the powder coater (to match the car), six points on back order, MGW shifter and MM CC plates awaiting install. I will also be doing a Xpel track kit and PP treatment soon.

Pads and rims/tires research continues....

Thanks again for the great info!

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Old thread I know but I wanted to add my data point here. I just got my GT350 aligned since I am getting close the end of the break in period :)

I went for the FP recommended settings and with the Ford service bolts mentioned in this thread the alignment shop was able to get -1.4 front camber. The rest of the settings mirror the target FP settings. For what I am doing with the car at this point (daily driving and maybe some autox) I like the setup a lot. The car feels like a go kart version of itself prior to the alignment (albeit a big version of one :) ).

TRAC WPN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY16 Gt350Track
Old thread I know but I wanted to add my data point here. I just got my GT350 aligned since I am getting close the end of the break in period :)

I went for the FP recommended settings and with the Ford service bolts mentioned in this thread the alignment shop was able to get -1.4 front camber. The rest of the settings mirror the target FP settings. For what I am doing with the car at this point (daily driving and maybe some autox) I like the setup a lot. The car feels like a go kart version of itself prior to the alignment (albeit a big version of one :) ).
glad your enjoying the set up. Just to add, not sure if -1.4 was the limit with the FP service bolts, but I was able to get to -1.8 with bmr bolts and thats what I asked for, probably could have gotten more. Going by the pretty even tread wear after 250 track miles, my setup seems to be working.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
glad your enjoying the set up. Just to add, not sure if -1.4 was the limit with the FP service bolts, but I was able to get to -1.8 with bmr bolts and thats what I asked for, probably could have gotten more. Going by the pretty even tread wear after 250 track miles, my setup seems to be working.
I asked for -1.5 but -1.4 was all what the shop could get out of the Ford service bolts. For me being new to the car it is perfect. If later on I want something more aggressive I will explore other venues like the BMR bolts you mentioned or camber plates.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
im at -1.9 on the BMR

Sponsored

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Do you have p/ns of the BMR bolts?

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R

Thrownaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350R
I asked for -1.5 but -1.4 was all what the shop could get out of the Ford service bolts. For me being new to the car it is perfect. If later on I want something more aggressive I will explore other venues like the BMR bolts you mentioned or camber plates.
According to Ford Perforance this is doable without mods.
Sponsored