J_Maher_AMG

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Each to their own but being an old school guy I have chosen to just leave "GR107" as is and will not cover the front area of any part of my car with some sort of protection film.

My son received this car back in April for me and I have not seen the car since it arrived but will be with my son a week or so from now and will be driving the crap out of my R model for a week or so once I arrive.

"GR107" is a base 920A car without the Electronics Package and from what I can tell it is 1 of 9 base R models built for the 2016MY for Canada and 1 of 1 in that color combination.

It is Shadow Black with Black Matte stripes and I intend to drive the car just as it is and if I get a few paint chips etc. that will just be part of the patina of the car.

Just as you were concerned with the Cup 2 tires I would not get too concerned about the paint protection film at this time but certainly understand your concerns.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Wow man, having a 1 of 1 is amazing! I would honestly love to make that 1 of 2, but the fiancée would kill me for not getting the touchscreen radio and dual zone climate :D

I can't not cover it! Haha my AMG now is black and after two years of owning it I am horrified by the swirls in the paint.. And this is a car that gets 2-3 layers of Pinnacle Souveran wax every 6-8 weeks... Vowed that I would never get a "nice" black car again! So if I buy this one, every drop of paint on the car will be covered :D

Im covering mine, but its not recommended to cover the matte stripes. In your case, i'd just do the cowl, the hood, roof line behind front quarters and sides up to rears and behind rears, mirrors and entry. They have a kit for the car. Leave them off the stripe. You can always touch up the stripes with a matte black acrylic paint or something. I put 4k miles on my gt500/year and put around 13k on it before i got a nick in the matte stripe. It holds up well....unless your driving behind gravel trucks. ;)
Enjoy it man!
I believe XPEL has a film designed for matte surfaces, it just becomes complex then as 5 pieces of material would be required to just complete the hood... Would probably cost a fortune to do. I believe I will just cover the paint and leave the vinyl stripes as is, and if they get a minor nick here or there I'll live with it as long as the paint is flawless :D
Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Good choice.

My detailer said not to use that stuff as it changes the sheen on of the matte.

Im having my hood covered in 1 piece. There is a tiny air gap of 1/16" along the edge where the stripe meets the hood because of the height difference but since mines white anyway it will be hard to notice. When i didnt cover my matte blacks, it was a good choice and would do it over again for sure.

OP
OP
J_Maher_AMG

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Good choice.

My detailer said not to use that stuff as it changes the sheen on of the matte.

Im having my hood covered in 1 piece. There is a tiny air gap of 1/16" along the edge where the stripe meets the hood because of the height difference but since mines white anyway it will be hard to notice. When i didnt cover my matte blacks, it was a good choice and would do it over again for sure.
Hmmm very good point, IF i were to cover the stripes and deal with the matte stripes looking differently, I would imagine that air gap would be fairly noticeable on a black car :doh:

Just to clarify, you have a white R with the matte black stripes?? And you originally decided not to cover your stripes, but later changed film and now have them covered?

I wonder if the matte stripes were covered in film, would they then take on a "satin" semi-gloss appearance?

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Hmmm very good point, IF i were to cover the stripes and deal with the matte stripes looking differently, I would imagine that air gap would be fairly noticeable on a black car :doh:

Just to clarify, you have a white R with the matte black stripes?? And you originally decided not to cover your stripes, but later changed film and now have them covered?

I wonder if the matte stripes were covered in film, would they then take on a "satin" semi-gloss appearance?
No, i have a gt500 silver with matte black stripes. I didnt cover them for the same reason. They take on a different sheen when covered. I only have 1 tiny nick in the stripe (and it didnt get to the paint). The stripes actually do a good job of keeping the paint from chipping. No other dings or scratches in the matte, they hold up well.
I have a white with blue stripe and a blue with white stripe R on order. Both of those stripes are gloss and will have one car totally covered and one ill just do the impact areas.

OP
OP
J_Maher_AMG

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
No, i have a gt500 silver with matte black stripes. I didnt cover them for the same reason. They take on a different sheen when covered. I only have 1 tiny nick in the stripe (and it didnt get to the paint). The stripes actually do a good job of keeping the paint from chipping. No other dings or scratches in the matte, they hold up well.
I have a white with blue stripe and a blue with white stripe R on order. Both of those stripes are gloss and will have one car totally covered and one ill just do the impact areas.
You have two R's coming in!? Lucky you! haha :D

So you're saying the matte stripes are fairly durable? I would have thought the matte stripes would show scratches more readily than gloss would because the sheen of the gloss would hide them.

Most likely going to just cover the paint and have the stripes left alone; figure the air gap would look pretty obvious on black, and would prefer to retain the matte black look of the stripes.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
The matte stripes dont scratch when cleaning them like the gloss ones do. You'll be happy with them...they are fairly durabld. Of course you dont want dust on them when your cleaning. Wash them with a hose and dry with a clean microfiber and you'll never see a scratch unless something else causes it.

RMOORE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R JR428 , 2008 911S cab
No I'm in St.John's my 2017 magnetic with black strips R won't be builded until Sept.

My 2016 GT350 magnetic tech with white strips is going to be traded in , any interest.? It only has 2500 Kms

RMOORE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey there,

Assuming then that you are the gentleman from Ottawa who picked up the black R with white stripes? :D

Beautiful car, got to see it in person. I know my salesman said that the last one sold at MSRP, but I was not aware the first two sold with markup. I am still hopeful, one of two managers at this dealership told me they never sell above sticker, so I am holding onto that hope haha I am also trading an AMG Mercedes on this as well, so perhaps they may be more lenient since they can get two sales out of me.

Details will all be confirmed by tomorrow though, till then I'll anxiously wait and cross my fingers :D
See above for reply reply. I forgot to use quote

OP
OP
J_Maher_AMG

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
No I'm in St.John's my 2017 magnetic with black strips R won't be builded until Sept.

My 2016 GT350 magnetic tech with white strips is going to be traded in , any interest.? It only has 2500 Kms
Hey man, appreciate the offer my friend, but if this deal with the R doesn't go through for whatever reason I'll be ordering a 17' 350 in Avalanche grey or white. I definitely wanted the coolers along with the electronics package features, so 16's are a no go for me!

Should be a gorgeous car though the magnetic with black stripes, if I do get this R I believe I would be taking delivery around the same time frame. Should meet up for a coffee and a cruise or something!

RMOORE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey man, appreciate the offer my friend, but if this deal with the R doesn't go through for whatever reason I'll be ordering a 17' 350 in Avalanche grey or white. I definitely wanted the coolers along with the electronics package features, so 16's are a no go for me!

Should be a gorgeous car though the magnetic with black stripes, if I do get this R I believe I would be taking delivery around the same time frame. Should meet up for a coffee and a cruise or something!
I'm sure who ever maybe interest in my 2016 tech can save $10k over a 2017 , if your just driving on the street in Nfld I don,t think you need coolers.

Sponsored
OP
OP
J_Maher_AMG

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I'm sure who ever maybe interest in my 2016 tech can save $10k over a 2017 , if your just driving on the street in Nfld I don,t think you need coolers.
For the most part, completely agree. But I will have mine at Avondale for the 1/8th mile quite a bit... My fiancée also isn't a fan of the darker grey, we were down to either AG or OW for 350 colour.

Shouldn't have much trouble selling your 350 honestly, I would try to set up a convenience deal if I were you!

RMOORE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed. Did you see Bavis's 2016 Gt350R from Paradise on autotrader.ca listed for $150,000!!

OP
OP
J_Maher_AMG

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
FWIW re: XPEL stealth and the satin stripes, you can remove and replace the stripes. It's an expense, but it allows yoou to PPF the entire hood in one piece.
Hmmm, so remove the stripes, have the car done in Xpel, and have the stripes reinstalled on top of the film? How positive are you that that can be done!? Probably would cost more to have the shop remove the stripes and reinstall them though compared to just cutting a few different pieces for the clear bra, and the stripes would still be susceptible damage then :(

OP
OP
J_Maher_AMG

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Agreed. Did you see Bavis's 2016 Gt350R from Paradise on autotrader.ca listed for $150,000!!
Nope didn't notice it! What colour is his??? I saw a blue one with white stripes in there a couple of months ago, that one his?
Sponsored