Sponsored

GT350 to Mach 1 - Thoughts?

astronaut45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Oxford White Mach 1
Fun thread as usual, I had a GT350 for 2.5 years, if the engine was bulletproof I would have kept it for 20 more years. The GT350 is that special of a car, easily the best I've ever owned and that includes a PP2, a Boss 302, a Bullitt and now my Mach 1.

So the real answer is that if you've got the money, GT350 all day. Drive it, enjoy it, and don't worry about the 26k bill for replacing the engine.

If you don't have the money, then you are taking a risk getting into a GT350. I finally decided that I didn't have the kind of money that could justify owning mine past the warranty period, so when prices were hot I cashed out.

The Mach 1 isn't a GT350, it just isn't. But it's also a dang fine car and one that I can own for 20 years if I want without worrying too much about it ruining me financially. It's the right car for me.
Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Did you ever drive one? This statement suggests you have not. If you don’t like the way they look or whatever that’s your opinion, but to suggest it’s nothing more than a nameplate with a “test engine“ is just ignorant.
He's been a member less than a month. Bless his heart lol

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Low compression smoged out. Get in a 11 to 1 396 or 427. 1972 was the last of the high compression big blocks from the factory.
Google whatever engine you specifically have in your mind and it's respective torque curves, then compare them to how the Coyote delivers it's torque.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
My car is better....No my car is better.....Coyote is LESS reliable than Voodoo.....M1 is a parts bin car.....

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Google whatever engine you specifically have in your mind and it's respective torque curves,

I don't need to google it, I lived through it. Still have a 396 Nova SS. I have also owned 383 and 440 Mopars, 429 Fords 409 Chevys, all of which had much more torque than a coyote at a lower RPM.

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I wish the GT350 looked special. I have to really stare at the MF to tell its special or any different. You either love or hate the aero on the M1 HP cars. I personally think its classic. The engine is what set the 350 apart but it appears that it is a pos of an engine (like any engine that blows up for "insert reason here" is)

It seems like they built a test engine and made up a nameplate like the 350 (like they did with the foxbodies) and thats it.
I do love the look of the M1 HP. The only thing that sets the Shelby apart is that awesome engine.....but I absolutely love the M1 exhaust + the comfortable ride as daily. Hope to own a Shelby in the near future though as a weekend car...

Striker01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1, 90 LX Coupe, 99 SVT Lightning, 99 WS6
I do love the look of the M1 HP. The only thing that sets the Shelby apart is that awesome engine.....but I absolutely love the M1 exhaust + the comfortable ride as daily. Hope to own a Shelby in the near future though as a weekend car...
It’s a nice car. It would be enough car for me to justify replacing the m1 with it.

320guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EB PP soon
My personal opinion: I have owned and driven a GT350 for about 35,000 miles so I have some familiarity. I would by FAAAAAR prefer to keep the GT350 vs. having a Mach. Mostly because the Voodoo engine is entirely port injected and I think reliability and repairs long term are going to be easier and cheaper with the Voodoo engine. I understand Ford did a combo of DI and PI in the Mach, which is much better than the competitor's DI only V8s. However, that's still a lot of added complexity.

Another factor - nothing against Mach 1s, but car prices have gone up so much I don't think they are worth the money. I made this decision when I decided to purchase a 2017 PP1 GT rather than a newer Mach 1 as my next Mustang.

I think GT350s will hold their value better in the future. I also think the GT350 brakes are stellar and I wouldn't want to go back to "normal" Mustang GT brakes.
The Mach 1 doesn’t have normal mustang GT brakes. One of the things they emphasized in the Ford Performance School is that the Mach 1 has different and newer Brembo pads. The car has better brakes than a lot of people think.

Even in the test between the Gt350 and the Mach 1, they came very close in distance.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The Mach 1 doesn’t have normal mustang GT brakes. One of the things they emphasized in the Ford Performance School is that the Mach 1 has different and newer Brembo pads. The car has better brakes than a lot of people think.

Even in the test between the Gt350 and the Mach 1, they came very close in distance.
Sorry yes the Mach 1 has the better Brembos like the Performance Pack GTs, not the base GT brakes. The GT350 brakes are a whole other level of awesome, though. They have incredible initial bite, yet really great feel. I miss the GT350 brakes almost as much as I miss the Voodoo engine. The Mach/PP brakes are good and hold up on track better than base brakes, but they don't have the special feel like those on the GT350.

Stopping distance is a function of tire grip. The brakes don't really impact stopping distance (unless you are on track with smaller brakes that can't reject enough heat).

Sponsored

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Sorry yes the Mach 1 has the better Brembos like the Performance Pack GTs, not the base GT brakes. The GT350 brakes are a whole other level of awesome, though. They have incredible initial bite, yet really great feel. I miss the GT350 brakes almost as much as I miss the Voodoo engine. The Mach/PP brakes are good and hold up on track better than base brakes, but they don't have the special feel like those on the GT350.

Stopping distance is a function of tire grip. The brakes don't really impact stopping distance (unless you are on track with smaller brakes that can't reject enough heat).
I’m with you to a point. But pad compounds and swept area are also considerable factors, right?

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zac
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP; Prior:20 Camaro SS 1LE, 17 GT350
I'll add to the shenanigans. I put 24K miles on a 2017 GT350. Sold it during the peak of market ridiculousness. I had about 6 months left of powertrain warranty and that was my number one reason for selling.

The M1 HP is a very attractive and fun car. Throw a resonator delete on the M1, and the sound is an 8.5/10 and is distinct from a standard 5.0. The Voodoo ofc gets a 10/10.

The M1 pulls hard much sooner and is arguably more fun to drive around town due to this.

Infinite funds: I would have bought and bulletproofed a 5.2 to throw in if the original let go.

Unless you are one of those "it's not a shelby" guys, you will likely very much enjoy the M1 HP. I wasn't sure about the digital dash at first, but it is neat. The newer tech is also neat. You can set it where you flip a toggle twice and it'll put the exhaust, suspension, steering how you like it. Still keeping some shelby analog, but not going full S650 digital.

OP
OP
Kachow

Kachow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'll add to the shenanigans. I put 24K miles on a 2017 GT350. Sold it during the peak of market ridiculousness. I had about 6 months left of powertrain warranty and that was my number one reason for selling.

The M1 HP is a very attractive and fun car. Throw a resonator delete on the M1, and the sound is an 8.5/10 and is distinct from a standard 5.0. The Voodoo ofc gets a 10/10.

The M1 pulls hard much sooner and is arguably more fun to drive around town due to this.

Infinite funds: I would have bought and bulletproofed a 5.2 to throw in if the original let go.

Unless you are one of those "it's not a shelby" guys, you will likely very much enjoy the M1 HP. I wasn't sure about the digital dash at first, but it is neat. The newer tech is also neat. You can set it where you flip a toggle twice and it'll put the exhaust, suspension, steering how you like it. Still keeping some shelby analog, but not going full S650 digital.
Just got word that ESP requires the dealer to do a complete tear down to identify point of failure EVEN though they agreed to replace the motor. I really don't understand, as Ford won't publicly come out and say there are inherent issues with the Voodoo. Just replace the dang thing as agreed upon. Dealer backed up - could be a month and a half. Frustrated to say the least.

I like the toggle switch to custom mode. My 1LE had that. You could go to a page and select exhaust, steering, suspension, etc.

I see you also had a 1LE! What made you switch?

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zac
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP; Prior:20 Camaro SS 1LE, 17 GT350
Just got word that ESP requires the dealer to do a complete tear down to identify point of failure EVEN though they agreed to replace the motor. I really don't understand, as Ford won't publicly come out and say there are inherent issues with the Voodoo

I see you also had a 1LE!
Those types of things are why I didn't want to go the ESP route. A friend of mine went through a gen 1 and a gen 2 pretty quickly. Ford would not give him any info whatsoever on the failure. Strictly informed our local service department to not disassemble. Just doesn't give you good vibes.

I picked my shelby up in norcross, and spent most of my time with it in Augusta. I had so many issues with basic service, and I tried 3 different locations 🤦‍♂️

I had the 1LE for about 9 months. Very good cars. I wanted an M1 HP when I sold the shelby, but they were just too high. Got the 1LE and Kept it for about a year. The dark horse unveiled, the market was tanking, so I got out of the 1LE. No real issue with it!

Booboo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robin
Vehicle(s)
2020 PB GT350
Hey Folks,

I purchased a 2017 GT350 last year and it decided to lose all oil pressure last month. It currently sits at the dealership awaiting a new motor. I'm glad the warranty is covering it, but thinking about trading it in on a Mach 1 w/ HP once engine is replaced. I absolutely love the sound of the Voodoo but need something that I can beat on without fear of losing another motor.

Has anyone made the switch here? If so, how do they compare? Anything you miss about the 350?

Appreciate it!

Keep the Shelby. Getting rid of it is a fear-based decision and that's not good in this case. What's the saying...fear only exists in your imagination of what could happen. So youre getting rid of a beloved completely unique never to be built again perfect in every way vehicle...because something MIGHT happen? meh. Also, chances of it happening twice must be statistically less than it happening once, right?

Keep the three fitty. IF IT BREAKS DOWN AGAIN then you may purchase your choice of the multitude of used M1s, or by that time, the multitude of used Dark Horses. my 2pennies.

p.s. and with the new engine you will now have the chance to properly break your own brand new voodoo engine in 2023.5, dude youre sooo lucky!
Sponsored