Sponsored

GT350 renderings

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
I want everything to be functional. So if it has to have scoops and openings to make it 'aggressive', make them actually direct airflow. LED headlights. No foglights. No retarded trunk spoiler, or make it an option to delete it. Stripe delete. No bumpingz stereoz.
Sponsored

UOP Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 50 LE Kona blue
The videos posted of this car testing clearly sound like a cross plane crank. IMO there is no way a flat plane crank will be used. How is Ford going to afford developing an engine for this car that no other vehicle in their lineup will use?
-T
The same way they did the 5.8?

MadMoose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stuff
The same way they did the 5.8?
Except the 5.8 is just a slightly modified version of the 5.4 they have been using for a bajillion years.. Not exactly the r&d cost of developing a bespoke fpc engine

UOP Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 50 LE Kona blue
What other Ford vehicle uses the aluminum block 5.4? The 5.4 in both the F150s I've had are not the alum 5.4.

And what's to say that the FPC is not going to be the V8 of the future? Then it could be applied to all Ford V8 applications. The first use in the Mustang could be the R&D for this engine before putting it in other vehicles.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
What other Ford vehicle uses the aluminum block 5.4? The 5.4 in both the F150s I've had are not the alum 5.4.

And what's to say that the FPC is not going to be the V8 of the future? Then it could be applied to all Ford V8 applications. The first use in the Mustang could be the R&D for this engine before putting it in other vehicles.

An FPC V8 engine would not fit any other vehicle other than a sports car. The lack of torque would not do well in a truck, which is where the Mustang shares most of its engine lineup.

Sponsored

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
An FPC V8 engine would not fit any other vehicle other than a sports car. The lack of torque would not do well in a truck, which is where the Mustang shares most of its engine lineup.
FPC does not change the basic castings, nor does FPC affect the torque in its self. Case in point is 5.0 l is in truck and mustang, different rpm ranges, different torque and power ranges. But essentially the same engine (family). So the performance mission affects the tuning and desired torque and power profiles.

No Idea if ford will supply FPC or not, but they can do it if they want and if the cost is within their allowable target. If it is not FPC, it will essentially be the same car but slightly different engine characteristics

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars

Reasonable theory

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
FPC does not change the basic castings, nor does FPC affect the torque in its self. Case in point is 5.0 l is in truck and mustang, different rpm ranges, different torque and power ranges. But essentially the same engine (family). So the performance mission affects the tuning and desired torque and power profiles.

No Idea if ford will supply FPC or not, but they can do it if they want and if the cost is within their allowable target. If it is not FPC, it will essentially be the same car but slightly different engine characteristics

From my understanding FPC does indeed change the torque characteristics, due to the design of the crankshaft itself and it's light weight among other things. I was not insinuating the actual engine would not fit other vehicles, but its intended purpose(high-revving sports car engine) would not be a good match for a truck.

JohnnyGMachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
I believe there will be a much larger center heat extractor - look at the test mule photos and videos again. The GT has two small outer extractors.

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
From my understanding FPC does indeed change the torque characteristics, due to the design of the crankshaft itself and it's light weight among other things. I was not insinuating the actual engine would not fit other vehicles, but its intended purpose(high-revving sports car engine) would not be a good match for a truck.
Agree that a truck will have different performance requirements

The torque is more defined by the breathing, stroke etc

Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid

The cross plane crank with its large crankshaft counterweights creates a smoother overall engine than a flat plane crank, but with greater inertia. It is therefore less responsive under zero/low load (like when rev matching).

The flat plane crank is rougher, but is more responsive. This is advantageous in a sports car where quick shifting and throttle control are of great importance, but it is of little benefit in a truck or luxury vehicle.

Because of this it is unlikely that a truck would use a flat plane crank, because it gains essentially zero benefit from that architecture, while losing out on smoothness.

I therefore think it is unlikely that a flat plane crank would be the V8 of the future, unless Ford has a need for an extremely responsive V8 engine. Right now the only vehicle Ford makes that would need an engine like that is the Mustang, which has used and will continue to use a cross plane crank V8. So there doesn't seem to be any demand to the flat plane crank in any other model.

IMO the Coyote/RoadRunner has been an excellent engine, and I think Ford is better suited putting their limited development funds towards refining that architecture (and updating the chassis) than developing an engine that would have little benefit in their other products.

Of course I could be completely wrong.

-T

GTsquid

Those are Evos fog lights anyway.

I like the chop and your take on the Sunset color. You mention the front fender vents but I don't see them?

IMHO heat extractors, a side vent, pony delete/cobra add-on are not enough to stand out from the GT. The GT350 should have a little more oomph than that. I think a slightly wider front fascia to go along with the wider rear haunches would be nice. Or at least a mild tweak on the front design. It should really not be mistaken for a GT, which some of these renders could be without looking closely.
Sponsored