Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Allow me to introduce you to the Skip-Shift 'feature' present in the T56 transmission. Specifically the V8 FBodies circa 1998-2002. ;)

Definitely a way to block out the gears. I doubt this will be done though. Skip-shift was put in place for emissions reasons.

We had skip shift in the '11-12 MT-82 models as well.
Sponsored

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
Both are true statements I'm sure there was some extra work done on the valvetrain to guarantee OEM reliability. Time will tell.

Valve Spring forces should be the same on Pushrod or Overhead Cam, ?

I'm guessing 520 is probably not too far off the mark, and yes you're correct that strapping a blower to a 5.0 will net you more power than that. However, that's not the point of the GT350. This is supposed to be more of a handling, road course car, rather than a straight-line performance power monster for the drag strip. If/when Ford builds a successor to the GT500, that will most likely be the powerhouse you're looking for.

Does this engine have Direct Injection?

Sered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 335i, big turbo, big fuel
I figured others had it, I just knew it had been around a while. I figure there's a way to lock out gears if necessary for down-shifts.

Does this engine have Direct Injection?
No DI, yet. I figure future iterations might though. FWIW the S65 does not either.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I owned an '11 GT. Did the skip shift feature actually "lock out" gears? If so it was disabled on mine. I also remember when I replaced my shifter I didn't see any mechanism there that I would think could lock out a gear.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I owned an '11 GT. Did the skip shift feature actually "lock out" gears? If so it was disabled on mine. I also remember when I replaced my shifter I didn't see any mechanism there that I would think could lock out a gear.
The system would block the 2nd gear gate during very specific conditions when you accelerate from a stop. If you gunned it there would be no interference. Mine was disabled in my tune.

I doubt skip shift can protect against a high rpm missed down shift

Agree, that's not what it's there for. However, it wouldn't be unthinkable for a system to be designed that can block gates when at certain speeds.

Sered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 335i, big turbo, big fuel
Agree, that's not what it's there for. However, it wouldn't be unthinkable for a system to be designed that can block gates when at certain speeds.
Exactly my point. It's definitely possible to block, I just don't know of any manufacturer that has done that yet.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I doubt skip shift can protect against a high rpm missed down shift
GM's skip-shift "feature" is there to improve emissions, and does not engage to protect a high RPM missed shift.

However, it is certainly conceivable that a similar design could be used to do just that, if an automaker were so inclined. Might be that only a couple gears would need it. Maybe even just 2nd. 5th to 2nd is probably the most likely missed shift that would cause damage. 6th to 3rd is probably not very likely, just because you are not likely to be in 6th. 4th to 1st might be a possibility, but 1st is often so difficult to engage at speed anyway that it might not be required.

Now that makes me wonder, if the mechanical elements are already there (in the Vette and Camaro, and older Mustangs) to enable the skip-shift, is it simply a matter of programming to use the same lockout to prevent the "money shift"?

-T

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Now that makes me wonder, if the mechanical elements are already there (in the Vette and Camaro, and older Mustangs) to enable the skip-shift, is it simply a matter of programming to use the same lockout to prevent the "money shift"?

-T

It depends on the design of the mechanical aspect. The MT-82 skip shift only worked on an upshift from first gear, so it's possible the design of the blocking mechanics won't work well with a high-speed downshift.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The system would block the 2nd gear gate during very specific conditions when you accelerate from a stop. If you gunned it there would be no interference. Mine was disabled in my tune.
Thanks for the info.

Mine must have been disabled as well. I did see the message come up on the dash a couple of times in a year of driving the car, but it never physically blocked me from shifting to second.
Sponsored