Sponsored

GT vs M4 for DD Duty

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
The V8 E90x is only a 4.0 and has little torque. Not as much fun as the Mustang and may have long-term bearing issues.

I disagree, not going to argue the merits on a Mustang website. Lets just say I was ready to buy a TY Must GTPP and I backed out because I felt it was a step backwards.

Dave
Sponsored

OP
OP

Driver 8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i Coupe
I disagree, not going to argue the merits on a Mustang website. Lets just say I was ready to buy a TY Must GTPP and I backed out because I felt it was a step backwards.

Dave
Fair enough. Coming from a tuned 335i I thought the mustang was a ton a fun. And I did not see that coming. I've been driving German cars for years. Never thought I'd drive an American car. I liked it better. Won't argue your preference.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5

Dave
I wouldn't say backwards, maybe a lateral step IMO. I had so much fun in a Mustang GT that I almost traded my M4 in on one. But, I held out for a GT350. I will admit that even that took some convincing from others as I had been in BMWs for quite awhile.

Fair enough. Coming from a tuned 335i I thought the mustang was a ton a fun. And I did not see that coming. I've been driving German cars for years. Never thought I'd drive an American car. I liked it better. Won't argue your preference.
Same here, it's the first American car I've wanted or even really noticed in 2 decades.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
If your price range is wide enough to consider buying an M4 as a daily driver, then I'd do this

Premium GT $36000
Track Pack $1500
Centri charger $6000
Lund tune $600
Total $44100

Now you have a refined monster that eats M4's for breakfast, costs less, and is still polite enough to make a great daily driver.

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
If your price range is wide enough to consider buying an M4 as a daily driver, then I'd do this

Premium GT $36000
Track Pack $1500
Centri charger $6000
Lund tune $600
Total $44100

Now you have a refined monster that eats M4's for breakfast, costs less, and is still polite enough to make a great daily driver.
Ding, ding, ding. And that's where I am. I could have bought m3/m4, but there are so many more choices that can make the GT badass. Can you mod m4 to over 700 horse, sure. But gonna cost a ton and you still have 6 cyl, albeit a super nice 6cyl. For me, I wanted the V8 and I don't think there is a better bang for the buck or potential, than the mustang. And, I daily drive a 2015 BMW X5 msport.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Ding, ding, ding. And that's where I am. I could have bought m3/m4, but there are so many more choices that can make the GT badass. Can you mod m4 to over 700 horse, sure. But gonna cost a ton and you still have 6 cyl, albeit a super nice 6cyl. For me, I wanted the V8 and I don't think there is a better bang for the buck or potential, than the mustang. And, I daily drive a 2015 BMW X5 msport.
Absolutely you can mod an M3 to 7-800HP. I have a friend that has done it this summer. The issue is the car my friend drives was 73K to start. He put bigger turbos on it at a cost of 10K. It's now making so much power he's about to destroy the clutches in the transmission. He has a high 10 second car that he can't race from a dig. I can put a beefcake kit on my car. Run low 10s-high 9 with the mods I already have and still have about 35 grand sitting in a saving account.:thumbsup:

Azzurro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium. Race Red
Absolutely you can mod an M3 to 7-800HP. I have a friend that has done it this summer. The issue is the car my friend drives was 73K to start. He put bigger turbos on it at a cost of 10K. It's now making so much power he's about to destroy the clutches in the transmission. He has a high 10 second car that he can't race from a dig. I can put a beefcake kit on my car. Run low 10s-high 9 with the mods I already have and still have about 35 grand sitting in a saving account.:thumbsup:
No matter how the BMW lovers try the M is NOT twice the car the S550 is because it cost twice as much. BMW is overated and a dime a dozen. I just came from a 2013 335i M Sport & my Mustang is WAY more fun to drive and sounds WAY better.

The M's are just ricer sounding now and the engine sound comes from a microchip. Lmao.. NOT real engine sound.... A microchip. Oh yeah, that was 20 grand. :frusty:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
No matter how the BMW lovers try the M is NOT twice the car the S550 is because it cost twice as much. BMW is overated and a dime a dozen. I just came from a 2013 335i M Sport & my Mustang is WAY more fun to drive and sounds WAY better.

The M's are just ricer sounding now and the engine sound comes from a microchip. Lmao.. NOT real engine sound.... A microchip. Oh yeah, that was 20 grand. :frusty:
Well the friend I mentioned in the above post. Went to Cecil County Drag way last night in search of a 10 second slip. His best run was 11.2@130. The car just keep going into limp mode to protect the transmission. He now says it'll cost another 4 grand to upgrade the clutches. 73 for the car. 10 for the turbo kit. a grand for the tune. 4 grand for clutches. I'm no mathlete but he's pushing 90 grand to do what a Mustang can do for 40??? I don't know if being able to say I drive an M3 is worth that much extra. I'd have went zO6 for that kinda jingle!

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
All the discussion about the high end of the performance potential and drag strip numbers are interesting and valid...but the question was which one for a daily driver, no?

The M4 is a fantastic car...no doubt. It would make for a spectacular daily driver...but as others have mentioned, for 50% of the money, you can have something that's nearly as quick, similarly fun to drive and vastly more affordable to maintain...all the while, sounding WAY better than the horrible robot-fart exhaust note from the M4.

IMO, if money was no object, I'd give the edge to the BMW...only because the M4 is upscale in terms of materials, all around driving dynamics and equipment.

In the real world I just can't see how the M4 wins unless you're trying to fit in at the country club or something.

1BadAss16CS

Light'em up!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deep Impact Blue CS
2017 BMW M4

Higher price to purchase. New well equipped = 80+K
Higher cost to insure.
Higher cost of maintenance.
Higher cost of mods (tuning, parts, etc)

2017 Mustang GT

Cheaper to purchase.
Cheaper to insure.
Lower cost of maintenance.
Cheaper to tune and mod.

Debatable, but my opinion

Lines and body design nicer on the GT. Love my CS/GT Grill.
I prefer V8 engine over a TT I6. TT kit the 5.0 = game over BMW.
Exhaust sound of a GT owns a BMW M4 sound.
I own a CS/GT and love my interior. Even if BWM has better quality materials its not worth an extra 40K to me. :D

Double the price to me doesn't equal double the fun. IMO, Mustangs have always been the underdog of cars. In Chicago back in the Fox body days, it was always the IROC 350 guys lining up with the 5.0 (that was the huge rival), and if you were racing back then you know how many fast fox bodies spanked the 350s. For me it has always been more enjoyable to be the underdog and be competitive. I don't condone street racing but when you're in Mexico and have a BMW M4 next to you, I don't think you'll see the 40k separation. If you're modded...bye bye. :D

Sponsored

Azzurro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium. Race Red
Well the friend I mentioned in the above post. Went to Cecil County Drag way last night in search of a 10 second slip. His best run was 11.2@130. The car just keep going into limp mode to protect the transmission. He now says it'll cost another 4 grand to upgrade the clutches. 73 for the car. 10 for the turbo kit. a grand for the tune. 4 grand for clutches. I'm no mathlete but he's pushing 90 grand to do what a Mustang can do for 40??? I don't know if being able to say I drive an M3 is worth that much extra. I'd have went zO6 for that kinda jingle!
Porsche GT4 is a better option than the M. It's also faster and the engine sound is better. I priced out the M's and they aren't worth the money IMHO. Z06 is a much better option and Kerbeck had the 2016's for 20% off so in the range of the M so I agree with you. BMW went in the wrong direction with the inline 6. I've had no interest in them since that.

OP
OP

Driver 8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i Coupe
I'm the OP and thank everyone for their opinions. Racing and dragging is not my concern. Being able to live with either car on a daily basis is my concern. I drive a tuned E92 BMW now with about 400 whp. But it's getting old now. It is still relatively quiet and comfortable on a daily basis.

The point of my post was to ascertain if (1) a mustang rides any better or worse than an M4 over normal roads, and (2) if the mustang has more or less tire roar than the M4. There are too few around here to test them myself. I'd love to save $40k, but I won't do it if I won't be happy in the end.

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
and vastly more affordable to maintain...all the while, sounding WAY better than the horrible robot-fart exhaust note from the M4.
^This! The affordability factor is what brought me back to the Blue Oval. I'm coming from a 135i a car that is looked upon as "cute" by females but the guys in the know knew what the car was capable of (giant killa!). Was about to pull the trigger on an E92 and of all people my wife reminded me of how expensive it is to maintain/mod BMWs...Ford released the S550 and I was back In like Flynn, American V-8, the rumble, the torque and the ability to mod the car without breaking the bank was a no-brainer for me.

1BadAss16CS

Light'em up!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deep Impact Blue CS
The point of my post was to ascertain if (1) a mustang rides any better or worse than an M4 over normal roads, and (2) if the mustang has more or less tire roar than the M4. There are too few around here to test them myself. I'd love to save $40k, but I won't do it if I won't be happy in the end.
With your two concerns...

1) Ride quality is subjective.. what one person thinks rides well, might not be the same for someone else. Meaning some people like a firm sports car feel, while other want plush. Either way, if you didn't like the ride of the Mustang, having an extra 40k on hand, you can change the suspension to your liking. Even if you throw 5k at the suspension you're still going to be up 35k.

2) Tire roar? I have the all-seasons and the cabin is super quiet, IMO. Once again, this is something easily addressed with a tire change.

Go drive a few cars.

I drive a Mustang because I prefer to not have the pompous police on my ass all the time. :lol: .....umm and that is a joke for the tight wads. :D

OP
OP

Driver 8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i Coupe
With your two concerns...

1) Ride quality is subjective.. what one person thinks rides well, might not be the same for someone else. Meaning some people like a firm sports car feel, while other want plush. Either way, if you didn't like the ride of the Mustang, having an extra 40k on hand, you can change the suspension to your liking. Even if you throw 5k at the suspension you're still going to be up 35k.

2) Tire roar? I have the all-seasons and the cabin is super quiet, IMO. Once again, this is something easily addressed with a tire change.

Go drive a few cars.

I drive a Mustang because I prefer to not have the pompous police on my ass all the time. :lol: .....umm and that is a joke for the tight wads. :D
I agree that ride quality is subjective. That's why I asked if someone could directly compare the two and be able to say one is more or less comfortable than the other, not that either are comfortable in and of themselves. No ZCP m4s around me here to test.
Sponsored

Last edited: