Gt exhaust on ecoboost?

gigo980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dome
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro, Hellcat, Adventador
Im thinking of installing a quad tip exhaust on my ecoboost and i was wondering if the gt exhaust would sound better than an ecoboost exhaust if i adapted it with a y pipe?
(Looking for the deepest tone possible)
If you have any suggestions on good quad tip exhausts for the ecoboost then please tell me.
Thanks!
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
4 won't fit in the diffuser hole you have now. Afaik there is no difference from behind the y pipe 8n chamber or packing.

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
I've considered the same swap, not for sound, but for performance. I've been told that the GT pipes are 2.5" instead of 2.25". If you're picking them up at a salvage yard, perhaps you can also pick up a GT rear diffuser!??

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
An I4 will always sound like an I4, no matter how many tips the exhaust has. Is this just for looks, or what are you after with this mod?

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
An I4 will always sound like an I4, no matter how many tips the exhaust has. Is this just for looks, or what are you after with this mod?
Ditto! Only thing I can figure is that it's a generation thing... At the track I run a single drag pipe (which to me sounds like a honda civic without exhaust), but while warming my drag radial tires up in the burn out box, I sometimes get a thumbs up from the younger guys!?
Reminds me of when my Grandmother told me my 390GT Mustang sounded like a truck...lol

Sponsored

OP
OP

gigo980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dome
Vehicle(s)
I've considered the same swap, not for sound, but for performance. I've been told that the GT pipes are 2.5" instead of 2.25". If you're picking them up at a salvage yard, perhaps you can also pick up a GT rear diffuser!??
omg how have i not thought about going to a salvage yard, thats so smart. Thank you

CustomS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
I'm running a 3" downpipe into a short Y adapter into the GT catback without the stock resonator, and this is what it sounds like: https://youtube.com/shorts/j78nD5zcZWk

From the inside, it's fairly quite. As for performance, that's hard to gauge as before this setup I had straight through mufflers.

OP
OP

gigo980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dome
Vehicle(s)
I'm running a 3" downpipe into a short Y adapter into the GT catback without the stock resonator, and this is what it sounds like: https://youtube.com/shorts/j78nD5zcZWk

From the inside, it's fairly quite. As for performance, that's hard to gauge as before this setup I had straight through mufflers.
Did the short y adapter cause any problems with the fitment?

CustomS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
No issues with fitment as this was a custom job. I'll get some pictures once I have the car on stands sometime in the newest future.

Did the short y adapter cause any problems with the fitment?

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
The exhaust is mostly the same between them, and an Ecoboost will pick up exactly no horsepower from the cat back exhaust. The downpipe can affect spool time but that's about it. The sound will always be that of a turbo 4. If you want a lower tone, look to an aftermarket cat back that has a resonator. They tend to accentuate the low tones more.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning