Sponsored

Goodbye Warranty,Hello Whipple

twold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 mustang fastback
I have just had a Whipple Stage 1 fitted to my 2016 Auto Mustang GT by Modurstang and as their first s550 Supercharger customer I thought I would do a review of the process and results.I know there are a number of Whippled s550's already out there in the UK but not many reviews,so here goes.

I wanted the same fear/terror factor that my 4.0 Tvr Tuscan had delivered but with the home comforts /auto/ traction control of the Mustang that my advanced years now demanded.

I chose Stage 1 mostly due to this being our daily/only car ( single car decision made intentionally to guarantee that even a trip to the post office would be fun-ish!).But also it was £800 - ish cheaper than Stage 2.This was a mistake for me ....see later.

PROCESS: Whipple Stage 1 (55 lb injectors inc but using stock Throttle body)
-----------
1) It took approx 2-3 weeks for delivery to Modurstang.

2) The kit was supposed to be made for the UK RHD spec,it was not......,and Mikes Stage 2 kit suffered exactly the same problem.Many Pipes were wrong lengths / type which Mike managed to adapt,the flexible coupling for the the stock throttle body ( stage 1 only) was the wrong width and Whipple had to resend the correct one ( they got it here in 4 days inc weekend!! which was good) .

3) The 'No mods required' Whipple sales mantra does not hold true for UK cars sadly .Due to RHD the bulkhead behind the Whipple needs cutting,i.e the metal brace and plastic trim.The alternative that Mike did to his car was to drop the engine using the steeda adjustable engine mounts,sadly this would have delayed things for me as they were now out of stock so the brace was cut instead,and looks perfectly stock -ish to the uninitiated (great job Mike /lee)

4) Whipple has changed the belt routing to try and alleviate chronic belt squeal that has plagued many in the US and my kit had the new reroute.Sadly mine squealed big time........Mikes however did not?Patiently Mike and Lee found some culprits and re torqued and it seemed to work ,but by the time I got there and the car was run again ,it had returned elsewhere.This time Mike machined a pulley spacer and voila it worked,so 99.9 % gone now.

Mike and team are new to Whipple on the s550 but have done loads of installs on earlier Mustangs and he was naturally seriously frustrated a few times with the supplied kit and the word Roush was fondly mentioned by Mike a fair few times.........Whipple are pretty good at answering tech questions fairly promptly though and Mike has sent details and photos of incorrect parts supplied by Whipple which they say they will remanufacture for future RHD cars asap ,I hope they really mean it.......

RESULT:
---------

1) Whipple and many resellers quote power figures which are very generous to say the least.

I contacted Whipple for power figures before ordering a Stage 1 and explained it was UK 415 bhp and Automatic .I was quoted by the Tech dept at Whipple as being 720 bhp (crank ) and around 600HP at wheels.
Mike at Modurstsng is a pretty straight guy and after testing the car with me immediately agreed that those figures were very generous.Subsequent road runs with Mike produced better results for some reason, not really sure why but still short of 600 RWHP .A dyno will give more information which I will do soon.

2) I made a big mistake ordering the Stage 1 and not the Stage 2.

Yes I Saved £800 ,but I should have done what the vast majority of US owners do and gone straight for the Stage 2 (72 lb injectors 132 mm Throttle body).This is addictive stuff and I just know that within a very very short period I will be ordering the 72lb injectors and 132mm Throttle body,AND I will have to pay again for the Whipple Stage 2 software, and will have no use for the 55lb injectors. So I expect to have wasted many hundreds of pounds in the end.

My advice ....don't do it ,go straight for Stage 2.

3) Stage 2 on UK cars is also probably not going to realise some of the figures you see quoted on Sales sites etc.
Mike is confident though that with better breathing Headers things will rapidly improve as it is a hell of a bottleneck at present and trying to force so much Supercharged exhaust through the ever narrowing pipes (RHD even worse) is an obvious major power destroyer.

4) Love the Whining noise that comes on with boost (others hate it apparently?),I also get a 'Whistle' at lower revs.The supercharger does produce a very slight agricultural running sound .

5) The revs do increase at idle a little.Also when you take your foot off the throttle it returns to idle slightly slower than stock did.

6) Get the Whipple boost gauge,it looks pretty cool in the centre vent albeit a bit bright even on lowest setting (Mike was less impressed as apparently it was a right pain to install....!!). It has shown 11psi boost so far but no idea how accurate it is.You will need a separate plastic vent mount ,be warned the mount is extortionately expensive for what it is.

WAS IT WORTH IT:
-------------------

The car is definitely quicker.....more than slightly...but not shockingly quicker...It has made the rear jump around more than usual when on full boost from lower speeds ,so a Cradle lockout is now on order.
I was expecting more low down torque but I can't say I have noticed much difference from stock which is a little disappointing.
When holding on boost it does sound more shall I say 'savage' if that's the word.
Just love that Whine though,I hope bystanders in the know can hear it !!.

To be honest It is still not quite quick enough for me .I want that feeling of terror that my previous much much lighter car gave me,and I will not be able to stop until I get it.So Headers /72lb injectors/132 mm throttle body to come.,thats assuming my very patient wife does not divorce me in order to protect her financial future first!!!

Thanks Mike and team for a great job and a lot of lip biting!

Sent from my iPad
Sponsored

Last edited:

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
WAS IT WORTH IT:
-------------------

The car is definitely quicker.....more than slightly...but not shockingly quicker...It has made the rear jump around more than usual when on full boost from lower speeds ,so a Cradle lockout is now on order.
I was expecting more low down torque but I can't say I have noticed much difference from stock which is a little disappointing.
I'M disappointed and it wasn't even me paying for it!

I had figured for a supercharger initially but think I'm going to stick with N/A.

If you had to do it over again, would you or do you think Stage2 will make all the difference?

OP
OP
twold

twold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 mustang fastback
Tried to post photo hope this works
image.jpg

OP
OP
twold

twold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 mustang fastback
I'M disappointed and it wasn't even me paying for it!

I had figured for a supercharger initially but think I'm going to stick with N/A.

If you had to do it over again, would you or do you think Stage2 will make all the difference?
Yes I would do it all again as I know it will eventually give me what I seek ,but it does require more mods to get there which I am not that surprised at.
I did some serious homework searching just about every post on supercharging s550's ,in fact being retired that is about all I have done for the last 8 weeks :headbonk:
N/A has an upper limit that will fall short of supercharging.With a heavy car like this 550-600 crank will be short of what I would eventually like,so for me FI is mandatory.
I definitely should have gone stage2 as mentioned,but even that will probably fall short of my requirements without sorting the breathing /tune as well.

Last edited:

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Very interesting, sounds like roush would have been the easier install, but again have they got a designated RHD kit!

Sponsored

Langburger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver GT Manual
Great write up and thanks for the candour
Interesting to hear about the lower end torque. I was assuming you would be seeing a flatter torque curve coming in earlier
And Google "dyno correction factors" I have a reasonably hot air cooled vw and in that world there is a well known thing called the "Californian Dyno Coefficient" nuff said so to speak....

Last edited:

666mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT cars name (HAMMER)
I got 670 RWHP I'm made up roll on phase two 700+ RWHP
You need a custom tune on there buddy Lund I can vouch for them 5 star service. Hope you got rid of the stock tyres.

OP
OP
twold

twold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 mustang fastback
Apparently the Roush kits for previous models included everything required ,more so than Whipple.As many of you know the main drawback to many folk is that there is some grinding of the engine/ k brace etc (at least I believe so?) ,but as I have mentioned there is some more minor cutting required with RHD Whipple installs also,unless you change the engine mounts like Mike did which is a quickish job apparently.

Roush also apparently has slightly less power but I am not sure that 20/30 bhp here or there is really that important at this level especially as some of the published power figures seem optimistic or shall I say inconsistent depending who you speak to.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Apparently the Roush kits for previous models included everything required ,more so than Whipple.As many of you know the main drawback to many folk is that there is some grinding of the engine/ k brace etc (at least I believe so?) ,but as I have mentioned there is some more minor cutting required with RHD Whipple installs also,unless you change the engine mounts like Mike did which is a quickish job apparently.

Roush also apparently has slightly less power but I am not sure that 20/30 bhp here or there is really that important at this level especially as some of the published power figures seem optimistic or shall I say inconsistent depending who you speak to.

Hi there

I've seen both kits in the flesh, I've passengered in a Whipple (Macs) and driven Roots supercharged (Roush style) and twinscrew (whipple style) my own last Mustangs.

Roush kit is vastly higher quality, its as if Ford made all the parts so everything just fits and is finished nicely, though you do have to do cutting. TVS have more torque down low, a lot more but it does mean traction issues that means in the first three gears it will light up the wheels from low RPM, can actually even happen in 5th. But the delivery after 5000rpm the Whipple is a lot more savage and revs nicer.

Also major key factor, Roush no whine, Whipple whines, do the air box mod and it screams. But both are great but like you I'd go Whipple too!

Whipple has to be stage 2, the stage 1 is not as good drive ability wise, even Whipple will tell you Stage 2 drives much nicer as it can breathe, its not a sales ploy its the truth.

Anyway Stage 1 whipple on a UK car make 643BHP at the flywheel on Whipple tune. The stock headers restrict it badly. Stage 2 on a UK car is around 700BHP at the flywheel on Whipple tune.

The rev hang issues your noticing, the car not dropping back to idle as quick is a safety feature and Whipple will not dial it out. :(

Get a Lund tune on the car, they will make it drive exactly how you wish and it will also make a lot more power, more like 750ish on stock headers and no doubt close to 800 odd with some Kooks on Stage 2.

Enjoy it, but get that Stage 2 parts and a Lund tune and your gonna be over the moon.

Unless I missed it did you upgrade the OPG?

OP
OP
twold

twold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 mustang fastback
I got 670 RWHP I'm made up roll on phase two 700+ RWHP
You need a custom tune on there buddy Lund I can vouch for them 5 star service. Hope you got rid of the stock tyres.
Yes Lund is now on the cards,I was not originally going to as I was worried about engine longevity, but now it is 'in for a penny in for a pound',not possible now to turn back and I have only had the car back a couple of days:eyebulge:.
Have you posted your powertrain spec anywhere or could you possibly do it again?

Sponsored
OP
OP
twold

twold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 mustang fastback
Hi there

I've seen both kits in the flesh, I've passengered in a Whipple (Macs) and driven Roots supercharged (Roush style) and twinscrew (whipple style) my own last Mustangs.

Roush kit is vastly higher quality, its as if Ford made all the parts so everything just fits and is finished nicely, though you do have to do cutting. TVS have more torque down low, a lot more but it does mean traction issues that means in the first three gears it will light up the wheels from low RPM, can actually even happen in 5th. But the delivery after 5000rpm the Whipple is a lot more savage and revs nicer.

Also major key factor, Roush no whine, Whipple whines, do the air box mod and it screams. But both are great but like you I'd go Whipple too!

Whipple has to be stage 2, the stage 1 is not as good drive ability wise, even Whipple will tell you Stage 2 drives much nicer as it can breathe, its not a sales ploy its the truth.

Anyway Stage 1 whipple on a UK car make 643BHP at the flywheel on Whipple tune. The stock headers restrict it badly. Stage 2 on a UK car is around 700BHP at the flywheel on Whipple tune.

The rev hang issues your noticing, the car not dropping back to idle as quick is a safety feature and Whipple will not dial it out. :(

Get a Lund tune on the car, they will make it drive exactly how you wish and it will also make a lot more power, more like 750ish on stock headers and no doubt close to 800 odd with some Kooks on Stage 2.

Enjoy it, but get that Stage 2 parts and a Lund tune and your gonna be over the moon.

Thanks for the info I tried but could not find those figures of yours anywhere ,very interesting .

Did OPG/crank but not the balancer as had heard that at these levels stock is fine.

Lund it is then:D

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Thanks for the info I tried but could not find those figures of yours anywhere ,very interesting .

Did OPG/crank but not the balancer as had heard that at these levels stock is fine.

Lund it is then:D

Balancer is fine upto 7500rpm, not ideal beyond it, ATI is the one to get.

Should of just PM me, its all in my head, why Mac is always calling me, he speaks to me and then spends 10k a few minutes later on more parts. :D

666mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT cars name (HAMMER)
Balancer is fine upto 7500rpm, not ideal beyond it, ATI is the one to get.

Should of just PM me, its all in my head, why Mac is always calling me, he speaks to me and then spends 10k a few minutes later on more parts. :D

LOL the Orical :cheers:

Steeda UK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.co.uk
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Glad to see you giving Mike a workout and sorry the Steeda Mustang GT adjustable engine mounts weren't on the shelf, they are back in stock now! I would still recommend installing them as you now have a much heavier engine plus a lot more power "wobbling it about" (as they say technically speaking)....

By the way we also highly recommend our "Stop the Hop" pack, for all supercharged cars, to help bring the rear end under control...

Have fun!

Last edited:

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi there

Gibbo, forgive my ignorance here, I know NOTHING of EFI tuning...
Is there any issue using a Lund tune on a non-US car?
Do Lund have an off-the-shelf Whipple tune available?
I'm just trying to work out which way I'm going to go when I finally (?) get around to fitting a Whipple to an Aussie vehicle.
Trying to avoid the traps as much as possible. :doh::cheers:
Sponsored