Good MPG in a GT

peetucket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible | Guard | Manual
Its been noted before, but the difference between short drives and highway road trips is pretty large in the GT. I have a convertible and if I drive around town only (hilly terrain), it is 12-14 MPG at best. A 300 mile road trip in 6th gear sitting at 72-75 MPH, I can easily double that to 27 MPG. Put the top down and it drops maybe 1 MPG, so not much at all. Load it up with bags and people (wife + 2 kids in the back + packed trunk) dropped it down to 25 MPG on a recent trip.
Sponsored

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
just finished a 800 mile trip on a 2015 gt with 963 miles. 90% highway running average 70mph and averaged 25.1 mpg. Was hoping for closer to 30mpg but motor is new and tight and foot was a little heavy a couple of times. Used cruise almost the whole trip.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
I drove for work, just finished a 500 mile trip, 30% highway, rest awesome secondary roads through mountains. 28,2 mpg.
I drive pretty much near the limit when on the job, no rush.
3.55 gears, 19" rims.

RitzGT

Serial Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6sp
The GT is easily capable of 25-30mpg on a highway run. I routinely get 27-28mpg and I'm not really driving in granny mode. I chalk most of the variation you see discussed here up to differences in driving styles.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The GT is easily capable of 25-30mpg on a highway run. I routinely get 27-28mpg and I'm not really driving in granny mode. I chalk most of the variation you see discussed here up to differences in driving styles.
Not just style, but how the car is set up. A GTPP with 3.73 isn't going to get the same mileage over the same distance at the same speed as a car with the 3.55 or 3.lower.

My PP at 70 MPH shows about 22 MPG over the course of the trip when running strictly highway miles. That's with relatively easy driving and cruise control. But that's on the trip computer, which estimates on the high side. I haven't had a chance to really do a manual calculated full highway miles tank vs. the computer, but in daily driving it's off by about 3/10 MPG.

I'm averaging under 18 MPG overall, but the majority of my trips are only 12 miles to work with about 8 miles being highway. I'm usually running in that 17-18 range unless I'm getting a clear roadway on the back roads to have a little fun.

So even in the best case scenario, I'm looking at 22 MPG at the posted highway speeds in cruise. I could lower my speed to get the RPM to less than 2000 and stretch it to 24-25 MPG, but who wants to be that guy?

I'm sure it will open up a little with better breathing long tube headers. But then it will be real hard to keep out of it.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Funny, it was not too long ago when 26mpg was FANTASTIC.

The 435 hp is even more so however..

Hancock

The Camaro Protagonist
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Camaro 2SS A8
Ford really needs to get more speeds in their trannies so maybe they can get better mileage than the larger more powerful LT1.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Ford really needs to get more speeds in their trannies so maybe they can get better mileage than the larger more powerful LT1.
Cylinder deactivation is a big reason the Camaro is rated slightly better for fuel economy and I'd much rather burn a little more fuel than have a car that deactivates cylinders. Very poor design philosophy IMO and I've heard lots of bad things about it. NVH is one thing, but cylinder glazing and loss of power and engine life is not worth it.
Sponsored