Sponsored

Good Helmet?

Ylwjkt23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Last October there were at least a dozen '15 and up Mustang GT's out at the Texas Mile.
I regularly see them at HPDE events.
And fires do happen at the drag strip, been drag racing for almost 40 years and have seen more than a few, especially if you're running nitrous.
Shit happens, and I like to cover my bases where I can.

I get it, you're happy with your Ebay bargain M Spec helmet with no fire rating.
However not everyone subscribes to the ignorance is bliss theory.
Hopefully you'll never need to test it.
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
If you've been drag racing for 40 years you'd have known the NHRA rules. And wouldn't have tried to correct me! Yes I'm happy with my helmet. As are the majority of racers that don't run a Funny car. Jeezus dude the OP has a mid 11 second car at best. His car doesn't even require a roll bar. The rules are about the minimum requirements. Not your opinion on what they should be. There is no rule that says you can't exceed the NHRA requirements. The OP asked for something legal and decent. Not what's the absolute best in class!

OP
OP
ImSlow

ImSlow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
If you've been drag racing for 40 years you'd have known the NHRA rules. And wouldn't have tried to correct me! Yes I'm happy with my helmet. As are the majority of racers that don't run a Funny car. Jeezus dude the OP has a mid 11 second car at best. His car doesn't even require a roll bar. The rules are about the minimum requirements. Not your opinion on what they should be. There is no rule that says you can't exceed the NHRA requirements. The OP asked for something legal and decent. Not what's the absolute best in class!
This exactly, just looking for a decent, legal, helmet to wear like 3 times a year lol. I have been looking and I'm going to go try some on after new years and make my decision then.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
This exactly, just looking for a decent, legal, helmet to wear like 3 times a year lol. I have been looking and I'm going to go try some on after new years and make my decision then.
Just buy an Auto helmet and not a motorcycle helmet.

Ylwjkt23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

Nothing wrong with that, just make sure it's SA certified and not M certified. That way all of your bases are covered, and if you're ever unfortunate enough to be in a fire you've got a fighting chance of surviving.
My 2 cents, ymmv.

Sponsored

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
For entry level helmets we offer SafeQuip's New SA2015 Legal Helmet. This Hemet exceeds the latest Requirements for any Track-Day or Auto-X Group out there, NHRA legal etc.

Most of the smaller HPDE Track Day Groups are beginning to shy away from Motorcycle Helmets. This helmet is already equipped with the posts for a HANS device (2015 Reg) so if you progress you are not buying another helmet right away.

Coupon Code; SAFE and they are under $200 delivered to your door :ninja:
How did I not know you are literally just a few minutes away from me. Been looking for a while for one of these.

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Couldn't resist:lol:
IMG_0168.JPG

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Just buy an Auto helmet and not a motorcycle helmet.
:doh::doh::doh: OP you've been presented with a range of options and prices. Good luck with your purchase. The guy doing tech at the local drag strip cant tell the difference between an "Automobile" helmet and a motorcycle helmet. He just looks for the snell label. The cut and paste I posted. Was taken right out of the 2017 NHRA rule book. Unless your running some half mile event. Or piloting a top fuel dragster. Either type of helmet is fine and will pass tech! All this talk about fire. Are you going to be purchasing a double layer, fire resistant race suit to go with your new helmet? For the three times a year you show up on drive in street night. Of course your not. Your going to show up in a pair of jeans and a tee shirt! So why worry about the helmet if the other 90% of your body is completely exposed???????
Sponsored

Last edited: