Sponsored

Gibson Cat-Back Exhaust Review

Supa LA

Drop a gear and disappear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic Mustang GT PP
Wait....you actually like to be able to hear your wife on road trips?
I'm assuming SHE complained, thus the change. :lol:
Sponsored

K3NMasterS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a 5.2L Flat Plane
I'm assuming SHE complained, thus the change. :lol:
:popcorn:

I'm going to be installing my Gibson tonight. I've dealt with drone before and it can get overbearing, but I'll tackle that hurdle once it gets to that point. For the time being, I'm excited!

Supa LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sweet man! Let us know your feedback after a couple of hundred miles

RipShift2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The first month or so I had my Gibson catback it was mega loud and tons of drone. Now, 5 months later it seems to be mellowed out a a bit.
No clue why. Maybe it has just made my hearing go bad. :shrug:

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Am I the only one that didn't think the drone was that bad? I guess I'm just used to loud cars...a catless 3" WRX at 20psi.

Sponsored

Supa LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The first month or so I had my Gibson catback it was mega loud and tons of drone. Now, 5 months later it seems to be mellowed out a a bit.
No clue why. Maybe it has just made my hearing go bad. :shrug:
I was thinking the exact same thing driving home today. Makes me even more open to pairing up some headers to this system.
Am I the only one that didn't think the drone was that bad? I guess I'm just used to loud cars...a catless 3" WRX at 20psi.
Lol! I, too, came from a similar setup. Straight piped 3" back into a gutted muffler on my STi. 20g turbo at 21lbs. Mmm.

RatFink71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Well the issue I have with your assessment of the Gibson is your stating "You don't know why people are complaining" no matter how you sugar coat it the Gibson has terrible drone issues. Don't get me wrong it sounds really good but the drone at 60 to 65 is over the top. I had a ProStreet 55 Chevy with 4 inch exhaust and 2 chamber Flows that wasn't that bad. Because of a review like yours I purchased the Gibson in the first place. I think people here are trying to be honest with the issues, so people can make an educated decision on their exhaust. Like you not all people mind it. I really did because I like to take road trips with my wife and driving in highway traffic was overbearing. I have the Corsa now and its really loud at wot but quiet as stock cruising. Just what I wanted in the first place...
I also come from old school hot rods, last old car was a 850 horse 72' Chevelle that ran mid to low 9 second quaters. My Chevelle was an over the top big block, 512 cubic inches with a huge solid roller cam and 13:1 compression. Exhaust was custom made Lemmon headers with 2 inch primary tubes and 3 1/2 inch collectors. On the street I ran 3 1/2 inch pipes with a H, mufflers were Spintech and dumped right before the rearend. You wanna talk about drone, this car made the Mustang with Gibson catback sound like the inside of a Audi A8. My Chevelle would give you a headache after cruising for 20 minutes. The drone was so bad that the stereo was usless. Not quite sure about your 55 but my 72 was brutal. The Gibson in no way,shape or form starts to compare. The one thing I did was installed DynaMat inside my Chevelle's interior and trunk. This greatly reduced the engine and exhaust noise a great deal and made the Chevelle enjoyable to cruise in. I applied this same theory to my Mustangs trunk. Just like in my prior post, I installed the DynaMat in the trunk of my 15 Mustang and now the Gibson exhaust drone is pretty much gone. I would not deter people from buying this exhaust. Yes, things have to be done to control interior noise but the fact is that there are things that can be done besides going to an exhaust that cost way more and does not have the wicked tone of the Gibson while slowly cruising around town.

K3NMasterS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a 5.2L Flat Plane
Installed mine last night. Did anyone else have fitment issues? My passenger muffler section is about a 1/4" from hitting the sway bar where the driverside has about a 1" gap. We did this on the ground so I'm going to put it up on a lift, unbolt and re-install.

Other than that, I love the sound. It really brings the car to life. I take the highway to work and tried to see if I noticed any drone, but I really didn't. 3.73 at 55-65mph in 6th gear and nothing.

No complaints here other than all the stares! :D

Trent W

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Installed mine last night. Did anyone else have fitment issues? My passenger muffler section is about a 1/4" from hitting the sway bar where the driverside has about a 1" gap. We did this on the ground so I'm going to put it up on a lift, unbolt and re-install.

Other than that, I love the sound. It really brings the car to life. I take the highway to work and tried to see if I noticed any drone, but I really didn't. 3.73 at 55-65mph in 6th gear and nothing.

No complaints here other than all the stares! :D
Ya mine was slightly off, I also did it on the ground. But Ive had it run that close to the sway bar for months now with not issues... Its either that or it doesn't line up in the rear valence correctly. Hasn't vibrated or touched in all that time so pretty sure you'll be fine.

Trent W

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I was thinking the exact same thing driving home today. Makes me even more open to pairing up some headers to this system.

Lol! I, too, came from a similar setup. Straight piped 3" back into a gutted muffler on my STi. 20g turbo at 21lbs. Mmm.
I think you just get used to it... When I got the mustang with the stock exhaust coming from a turbo hatchback with an exhaust I thought "this must be how a prius sounds like" Ordered exhaust the next day haha. Still with the exhaust it 20x better than the hatch. Heck my truck in my pic is louder on the freeway than the Gibson is on the stang!

Sponsored

WKT

I Bleed FORD Blue!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot Grey
I too read all the reviews I can on something before making a decision to buy it. I read all the reviews on the Gibson catback, some said no drone, some said a ton of drone. I made my decision based off of the sound videos knowing that it may have some drone. I also know that sound and drone are subjective to the individual and can vary by car, ex. GT auto trans with 3.15's vs GT Manual trans and 3.73's. The Gibson does have some drone, in my car that is only under heavy lug. For example if I slow to 20 mph in 4th and squeeze back into the throttle, it is real bad or 50-55 mph in 6th going up a bridge or long hill. I only have drone in these heavy lug type of situations, which I just downshift a gear to what I should have been in the first place. My car is GT manual with 3.31's and I'm sure other combinations will have more or less drone under certain circumstances, and an automatic may be better or worse? I love the way it sounds and my wife said it now sounds like a mustang.

K3NMasterS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a 5.2L Flat Plane
Ya mine was slightly off, I also did it on the ground. But Ive had it run that close to the sway bar for months now with not issues... Its either that or it doesn't line up in the rear valence correctly. Hasn't vibrated or touched in all that time so pretty sure you'll be fine.
I made an appointment with the shop to adjust the exhaust for me tomorrow. Shouldn't be more than a 1/2hr shop time.

DarkHorse850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 6-spd DIB
I took a few videos today. (6 months later). Sorry they aren't the greatest. Hope it's useful.

[ame]

[ame]

[ame]

[ame]

Masorcas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BLACK GT PP PREMIUM
FLOW FORM WHEELS.. Did you pick up 20 whp with or without a tune?

OP
OP
1cln_gt

1cln_gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
[ame]https://vimeo.com/128217806[/ame]

Updated video :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored