Sponsored

G-Loc Brakes

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Ultimately, all modern cars are capable of getting into ABS mode if you floor the brake pedal. So, in an event of a single emergency brake, the real braking distance is limited by tires, and not the size of rotors or number of caliper pistons or pads. It's the immediacy of brake force of race pads, and reaction time of a person behind you that creates a problem.

With our track driving experiences, we know how to use brake pedal and how the car reacts to it, where this zone close to ABS mode is, our situational awareness and reaction times are much better. Most normal people are too scared to press brake pedal hard because they have no idea what would happen. The realization of "oh shit" moment takes more time and by the time they actually press the pedal hard, it's too late. Then, most likely it is either a heavy SUV on all season high milage tires tuned for fuel economy, or a shitbox. Or a teenager with a phone :crazy: .

I don't really enjoy driving my mustang on normal roads anymore, because every time there is a situation when I'm driving in traffic on a highway and there is always somebody in a 20 year old CRV or a white van tailgating me at 60 mph while all the lanes are packed. And I always think "what are you doing dude? There is zero chance you will outbrake me if something happens in front of us".
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jstang23

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Ultimately, all modern cars are capable of getting into ABS mode if you floor the brake pedal. So, in an event of a single emergency brake, the real braking distance is limited by tires, and not the size of rotors or number of caliper pistons or pads. It's the immediacy of brake force of race pads, and reaction time of a person behind you that creates a problem.

With our track driving experiences, we know how to use brake pedal and how the car reacts to it, where this zone close to ABS mode is, our situational awareness and reaction times are much better. Most normal people are too scared to press brake pedal hard because they have no idea what would happen. The realization of "oh shit" moment takes more time and by the time they actually press the pedal hard, it's too late. Then, most likely it is either a heavy SUV on all season high milage tires tuned for fuel economy, or a shitbox. Or a teenager with a phone :crazy: .

I don't really enjoy driving my mustang on normal roads anymore, because every time there is a situation when I'm driving in traffic on a highway and there is always somebody in a 20 year old CRV or a white van tailgating me at 60 mph while all the lanes are packed. And I always think "what are you doing dude? There is zero chance you will outbrake me if something happens in front of us".
Well said!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
this for me is the biggest issue with race pads on the street a few years ago we go to drive with a few friends we were coming to a round about at about 30 mph when a car stopped hard infront of me. I managed to stop (R10/R8) the friend of mine behind me managed to stop (Ferodo Rasing 3.11 or so) but the guy in the old jeep with summer tires on in December was not able to do that he hit my friend from behind (we were stopped so holding brakes) hard enough so he hit me from behind and I hit the car infront. Gladly the Mustang didn't have a lot of damage but my friend needed to replace 2 bumpers and the jeep lost it's radiator etc. Overall this is a lot of danger with race pads on the street mostly because you don't know what crap the other guys in traffic are driving.
I've always watched the rear view mirror when braking, as our cars simply stop better than most anything on the road. And based on my experience, Jeeps are about the worst driving vehicles on the road. A few years ago I had an incident - I didn't even have to step on the brake pedal hard or anything. I just had to slow somewhat rapidly. There was a Jeep behind me and the guy locked up the tires and was aiming for the shoulder trying not to hit me. I let off the brakes and allowed my car to get as close as I could to the car in front of me just to give the Jeep as much room as possible. Nothing happened in the end, but it was a close call for him. The day was warm and dry. His vehicle just sucked at stopping.

I realize it's annoying to leave room in front of you, because people will constantly pull into the gap, but when you drive something that can't stop well - you need to leave room. My '70 Mustang was totally that way with the original drums. It could barely stop from 70 mph a single time without overheating the brakes.

OP
OP
Jstang23

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Another Update

I cleaned the wheels for the first time after having the brakes on the car. The dust, as expected, was pretty significant. I also think I made a mistake in letting them get wet during a pretty heavy rainstorm and them drying. I found if that happens the brake dust pools at the flat parts of the wheels and turns into a sandy material. It didn't leave a mark or anything but it did take some heavy scrubbing to get off. So moving forward I'll try to keep them dry or at least dry them after it rains!

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
Another Update

I cleaned the wheels for the first time after having the brakes on the car. The dust, as expected, was pretty significant. I also think I made a mistake in letting them get wet during a pretty heavy rainstorm and them drying. I found if that happens the brake dust pools at the flat parts of the wheels and turns into a sandy material. It didn't leave a mark or anything but it did take some heavy scrubbing to get off. So moving forward I'll try to keep them dry or at least dry them after it rains!
Such is life when you’re not running Glocs.

Glocs have no lasting effects on wheels when wet, driven in the salt, let them sit for a month dirty. Rinse old wheels and good as new

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jstang23

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Such is life when you’re not running Glocs.

Glocs have no lasting effects on wheels when wet, driven in the salt, let them sit for a month dirty. Rinse old wheels and good as new
I am running G-Locs 🤣 R10/R8

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I don't have such problem tbh. When I wash the car, I spray the wheels liberally with p&s brake buster, let it soak in (longer better but before it starts drying), wash it off and do a quick mechanical cleanup with a wheel brush. Never had to scrub anything.

OP
OP
Jstang23

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
I don't have such problem tbh. When I wash the car, I spray the wheels liberally with p&s brake buster, let it soak in (longer better but before it starts drying), wash it off and do a quick mechanical cleanup with a wheel brush. Never had to scrub anything.
Ah see there's where we are different. I only use mild car soap. My detailer told me I should avoid heavily acidic brake cleaners because my wheels are ceramic coated. But now I've got PH neutral stuff for my other cars. I might try that next time!

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Brake buster is not heavy cleaner and you can dilute it to your liking. I do 1:1 ratio for economic reasons. I also use more aggressive iron remover cleaners sometimes, and never noticed bad impact on the coating. Especially if you use same manufacturer as the coating, they should be compatible.

And honestly, once I started using gyeon wet coat, I don't care about any effects on coating since I apply it every wash.

Sponsored

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
OP
OP
Jstang23

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Then you’re doing something wrong that shit washes right off
Yeah I think its because I used very mild car soap. My detailer said any non acidic brake/ wheel cleaner would be fine to use. I have Adam's Polish wheel and tire cleaner which should help a bunch. Most of it did wash off with a simple microfiber but there were some stubborn spots:)

OP
OP
Jstang23

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
@tosha

I just had my first track day with the G-Loc brakes. This was at Barber Motorsports park so 3-4 100mph braking zones. They brakes did hold up and made it almost the entire 20 min before I had to slow down. Very impressive

However, now they are squealing very bad. I still have good bite so I am not sure that they are glazed. Do you or does anyone have any experience with this? Will they stop squealing in a couple hundred miles? I might just have to take a look at them off the car.

Thanks!

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
@tosha

I just had my first track day with the G-Loc brakes. This was at Barber Motorsports park so 3-4 100mph braking zones. They brakes did hold up and made it almost the entire 20 min before I had to slow down. Very impressive

However, now they are squealing very bad. I still have good bite so I am not sure that they are glazed. Do you or does anyone have any experience with this? Will they stop squealing in a couple hundred miles? I might just have to take a look at them off the car.

Thanks!
Track pads like that will squeal like a school bus. My R10/R8 did that.

OP
OP
Jstang23

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Track pads like that will squeal like a school bus. My R10/R8 did that.
Really! They didn't equal that bad before the track day though. Is it because they've been through a proper heat cycle?
Sponsored