Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
8BB5B8AD-D2FB-444F-9A80-EA26EB17EC8B.jpeg
5F26A943-48E0-4DFF-944D-3AC6E5F8A4F7.jpeg
I saw from another forum member that he used “Magic Sliders” to protect his front splitter. They are 1 inch discs that you place on the feet of your chairs to protect your floor. I went ahead and cleaned the underside of the splitter with IPA and stuck them on. I did not paint them because I did not want to spend the time doing so until I was certain that they would stay. As odd as this may seem, the little bit of white that is showing is growing on me. Eventually I probably will color them black.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Nfs1000f

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
How much does the guy want for the couch ?:facepalm:
The disadvantages of living across the street from rental property. When they move out they leave piles of shit. The shit I already cleaned up and threw away and it’s not even my property.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
I even stuck a couple of the sliders on the rear underside behind the rear wheels. The right side had a few scrapes on the bottom underneath where someone must have backed it over a curb or something before I bought it. Not that I would do something like that.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I’m curious how well that adhesive actually holds after a couple good scraps. I’m use the ZL1-Addons steel splitters and they have some good gouges that I feel would take an adhered plastic right off.

Sponsored

64Chevy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
1964 Chevy C10, 1998 BMW M3, 2008 Lotus Exige 240S, 2013 911 C4S, 2015 Wrangler Rubicon
I made skid plates for track cars in the past. Stuck them on with a special 3M automotive tape. These plates (made out of UHMW polyethylene) never detached, even when hitting curbs at over 100 mph. Some got deeply gouged and scraped, but they held on. So with the right adhesive/tape, they could be quite secure.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I made skid plates for track cars in the past. Stuck them on with a special 3M automotive tape. These plates (made out of UHMW polyethylene) never detached, even when hitting curbs at over 100 mph. Some got deeply gouged and scraped, but they held on. So with the right adhesive/tape, they could be quite secure.
By chance do you have pics? I did something similar and it ripped first time going into T1 at COTA

64Chevy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
1964 Chevy C10, 1998 BMW M3, 2008 Lotus Exige 240S, 2013 911 C4S, 2015 Wrangler Rubicon
Not handy. That was in the mid to late 2000's, and those photos are on back-up hard drives not easily available to me. But do you have questions? I can talk about how I machined the UHMWP, how I shape it, etc.

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303
I saw from another forum member that he used “Magic Sliders” to protect his front splitter. They are 1 inch discs that you place on the feet of your chairs to protect your floor. I went ahead and cleaned the underside of the splitter with IPA and stuck them on. I did not paint them because I did not want to spend the time doing so until I was certain that they would stay. As odd as this may seem, the little bit of white that is showing is growing on me. Eventually I probably will color them black.
At first I thought you meant you used a perfectly good beer to clean the splitter...

64Chevy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I lied. Thanks to a great search function on another forum I found photos. Here is one:
Ferrari Pads.jpg

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I lied. Thanks to a great search function on another forum I found photos. Here is one:
Ferrari Pads.jpg
Ahh, those are HUGE. Didn't think of trying to use anything that big. Very interesting.

Where'd you source the material? How'd you cut them? Used 3M auto tape?

i use the magic sliders. got 8 of them under the front splitter. painted them black but they've taken a beating. still sticking real good. good $8 spent.
These are what I used that disintegrated in 1 session at COTA :cwl: I think they would work well on the street, tho.

64Chevy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Ahh, those are HUGE. Didn't think of trying to use anything that big. Very interesting.

Where'd you source the material? How'd you cut them? Used 3M auto tape?.
I looked up plastics suppliers and found more industrial oriented places that were happy to sell me part of a sheet. It is expensive (I recall like $50 for a 4' x 4' piece) but that makes a lot of plates. The key to this material is its very high lubricity (it is functionally slippery) and high impact tolerance. It also can be shaped somewhat by heat. Those pictured plates are flat, but for other cars I'd cut the plate, then used a floor jack, some plywood, and a ziplock bag filled with sand and would heat the plate in the oven, rush it to the garage, and press it against the undersurface of the bumper. The problem is the material "springs back" a bit but a heat gun and some hand forming solved that. My next evolution was using two part epoxy modeling clay--I'd press that into the bumper with a floor jack (with some plastic wrap between them) to create a reverse mold--I'd then drill and tap that, and screw a skid plate to the mold, stick it in the oven, and gradually tighten the screws to draw it into the mold. Worked great.

The material cuts easily with wood cutting tools (jig, circular, band, or table saw). It also machines well, so I used a router and a round over bit. 3M may have changed the name of the tape, but it used to be "automotive attachment tape". It is used by OEMs to attach spoilers, flares, etc. It is super super tough, but it has a thin foam core so to remove something attached with it you can used something like 50 pound monofilament fishing line to "saw" through the foam core. Then the tape bit can be rolled off of the surface.

Here's one ad I found with a quick search: https://www.interstateplastics.com/...G0WotIqSTUFLONm07vWFr39vZh4LBuFcaAqIGEALw_wcB

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
yeah, you're on a another level bro. you need adamantium splitter guards. :->
Admittedly, might be a bit rough on things. hehe
Sponsored