AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Steering gears don't like to be hard locked one way or the other. If you let off just a little from full lock does it still happen?
No, when you turn the wheel till it doesnt go any further is when it happens, but it ONLY happens when turned to the left, does NOT happen when turned to the right. if you let off a bit when turning to the left and not all the way it does not, but with what your saying, would be true if it happened when hard locking in either direction.
Sponsored

deepimpact

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016, V6
Also important to know: it does not happen while not moving. It only happens when starting moving like out from parking spot.

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Also important to know: it does not happen while not moving. It only happens when starting moving like out from parking spot.
Exactly, it happens from a still/standing/stopped position if moving it does not, and its only 2-4 knocks before it goes away. Also sometimes it will do it in reverse as well.

deepimpact

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016, V6
It seems like you are talking about the opposite behavior.

For me:

- standing: everything OK, NO NOISE, when turning the steering wheel in any position
- moving out of parking spot: noise when turning full lock left

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
It seems like you are talking about the opposite behavior.

For me:

- standing: everything OK, NO NOISE, when turning the steering wheel in any position
- moving out of parking spot: noise when turning full lock left
Its the same noise I watched the video, stand still, turn the wheel all the way left till it cant go any further and move forward (Like making a U turn, or getting out of a parking spot), makes knocking noise 2-4 and then stops, straighten the wheel and then stop, turn the wheel all the way to the left and do it again noise again, only does it when hard locking the steering wheel to the left.

Sponsored

deepimpact

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016, V6
Ok then we are talking about the same. Yes happens only after full lock left and moving from standstill like moving out of parking spot.

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
Ford increased the steering shaft diameter by around ~200% /~300%, on the S650.

Yet... Nobody claims to feel any recognizable improvement in the steering feedback
(while cornering - including the 'Throttle House' channel guys)
in a performance driving (cornering to be more specific)
even w/this shaft size increase on the S650.

Most road tests online agree that no improvement is seen in steering feedback in corners, w/a vastly larger shaft sized 650...

Maybe feedback wasn't the reason for the enormous diam increase Ford engineering made on the '24 car.

I will try create this anomaly on my own 500, when the rain stops next week, & its not ~40°f still around here.

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Steering gears don't like to be hard locked one way or the other. If you let off just a little from full lock does it still happen?
It does not. But that still does not explain why it only happens when hard locked to the left and not the right.

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
Tried today on the 500 to create this full left turn steering lock anomaly.

Could not get it to make this noise or knock, on asphalt or concrete surfaces. Had opportunity to try both.
Also tried this full left turn lock on grass. Still - No knocks.

Didn't bother attempting reverse more than just one time.
It was about 58°F outside, & sunny -
Tires at ~33 psi.

Sponsored
OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Tried today on the 500 to create this full left turn steering lock anomaly.

Could not get it to make this noise or knock, on asphalt or concrete surfaces. Had opportunity to try both.
Also tried this full left turn lock on grass. Still - No knocks.

Didn't bother attempting reverse more than just one time.
It was about 58°F outside, & sunny -
Tires at ~33 psi.
Temp doesnt matter, how you attempt it does. Let me explain exactly how (You may be one of the very few that doesn't have this, but it seems this goes back to the GT350 and 350R)

Car doesnt need to be warmed up, car needs to be completely still and in drive, turn the wheel fully to the left until it cant go any further (Hard lock) then step on the gas gently (Imagine you parked and now are between to cars and have to step on the gas slowly to try and get out (about less than 5mph) You should hear 2-4 knocks, or like crushing rocks. If you step on the gas pedal any harder you will not hear it, the sound comes from the foot well by the gas and brake pedal, make sure your exhaust is in quiet mode to hear it (once you hear it it wont matter). Also once you do it and stop you cant do it again until you straighten out the wheel move forward a bit, then stop again and turn the wheel and it will happen again. This I replicated to my service guy every time and once he saw he was able to do it.

Again if it doesnt happen to you consider yourself extremely lucky.

Last edited:

deepimpact

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016, V6
Yes exactly the same. What I ask myself is which parts are build closely to the pedals, because I can feel that in the foot are. I really start thinking whether it's the steering gear even it does not feel like that. Also I can hear some noises when I drive over uneven surface with hard lock left. It's like the wheel rubs against something or the springs can't turn. Very hard to identify..

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Yes exactly the same. What I ask myself is which parts are build closely to the pedals, because I can feel that in the foot are. I really start thinking whether it's the steering gear even it does not feel like that. Also I can hear some noises when I drive over uneven surface with hard lock left. It's like the wheel rubs against something or the springs can't turn. Very hard to identify..
Remember as well my steering upper and lower and yol assembly has been changed 5 times and its still there, it could be the steering or it could be something else that no one has found. Noise and feeling the vibration could be referred where its coming from something else and you feel it through the pedal, remember whatever is bolted to the firewall can make it feel like its something else since the vibration can travel.

As I said at this point after things being changed 5 times and at one point ford told someone (On this form) that it was a body weld issue (crack) and they bought the car back, but I can't see every car has a weld issue, that would be such a massive recall and lawsuit. Good luck and if yours turns out to be something else please post about it.

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
Did more testing yesterday.
Nothing from it. No issues on our own a '22- GT500.

What model & year Shelbys do you all have?