AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
I need assistance on have a 21 mustang Gt convertible, it started making that popping sound around November. It doesn't happen all the time but when I'm backing out of my parking spot at work turning left it does. The dealership replaced some bearings on the frame but it's still doing it, they heard the noise 1 time from the dealership but couldn't seem to duplicate it. What should I do?
Look into SSM50672 or it could be under MC-10210245-0001 which covers 2018-2022 which states:

"SSM 50672 - 2018-2022 Mustang (Non-Shelby) - Clunk/Pop Noise When Turning
Some 2018-2022 Mustang vehicles (Non-Shelby) and built at Flat Rock Assembly may experience a clunk/pop type noise when turning the steering wheel. This may be due to an incorrectly installed upper spring seat which is part of the front strut assembly. To correct this condition, remove the suspect strut(s) from the vehicle and inspect the upper spring seat for damage and/or incorrect installation and repair as necessary. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 204-01. For claiming, use casual part 18124 and the applicable labor operations of Section 03 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual. APPLICABLE VEHICLES 2018 - 2022 CAR: ZG S550N MUSTANG
"

Also look into (dont remember the member who brought it up in this thread I believe):

"My 21 GT500 had this problem. Car would pop during hard lock. I tightened my tower brace and it went away. I month later it came back, the brace was no longer tight. I put Loctite on the bolt and tightened to spec. The popping never came back. The brace will come loose because the bolts are painted."

I had mine checked for the above and found to be loose, have not had a chance to test the results of this fix yet, hope to test it this weekend.
Sponsored

GT500Flyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Look into SSM50672 or it could be under MC-10210245-0001 which covers 2018-2022 which states:

Some 2018-2022 Mustang vehicles (Non-Shelby) and built at Flat Rock Assembly may experience a clunk/pop type noise when turning the steering wheel. This may be due to an incorrectly installed upper spring seat which is part of the front strut assembly. To correct this condition, remove the suspect strut(s) from the vehicle and inspect the upper spring seat for damage and/or incorrect installation and repair as necessary. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 204-01. For claiming, use casual part 18124 and the applicable labor operations of Section 03 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual. APPLICABLE VEHICLES 2018 - 2022 CAR: ZG S550N MUSTANG
"

Also look into (dont remember the member who brought it up in this thread I believe):

"My 21 GT500 had this problem. Car would pop during hard lock. I tightened my tower brace and it went away. I month later it came back, the brace was no longer tight. I put Loctite on the bolt and tightened to spec. The popping never came back. The brace will come loose because the bolts are painted."

I had mine checked for the above and found to be loose, have not had a chance to test the results of this fix yet, hope to test it this weekend.
That was my post about the tower brace...

Sonia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sonia
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT

"

Thank you

Sonia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sonia
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
The mechanic from Akins came to my work yesterday and heard the noise, they left me a loaner and took my car. I was told they would contact the engineer from Ford!!!! Thank yall so much for all the info and posting what I found. I'm beyond excited

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Updating as for my issue, the tightening of the tower brace did not eliminate my issue, I will be letting my service guy know, but at this point unless they want to figure it out after driving season they can but for now I am not wasting anymore time during driving season.

Anyone that does get it fixed and its something other than what has been posted, by all means let us know.
Sponsored