Sponsored

FPC worry? Should I?

Backorder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan...:-(
Now that the FPC is confirmed, I am ecstatic! Great move for ford and the GT350.

However, this is new ground for ford. Should I be worried about longevity? I know testing is probably crazy good, but they have never done a FPC before AND I don't know if there is another FPC in the world with that kind of displacement is there?

Thoughts? Feel free to call me an idiot. I may be overthinking things, but with what this car will be potentially costing me I feel it's a legitimate worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
Your concerns are legitimate and I share them however, they won't stop me should the price be right.

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
It still comes with a warranty.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
However, this is new ground for ford. Should I be worried about longevity? I know testing is probably crazy good, but they have never done a FPC before AND I don't know if there is another FPC in the world with that kind of displacement is there?
6.3 litre V-12 in the Ferrari F12 and FF.

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
There are larger displacement FPC motors out there, just none of them are v-8's in a production car. There are longevity concerns with anything new, whether it's this new gt350 or a civic with a brand new engine design.

Ford makes many many many FPC motors every year. Just this is the first v-8 and it's the largest v-8 FPC in a production car. Ford has the resources to do the testing required. I wouldn't worry much.

Sponsored

Shredicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E92 M3
There are larger displacement FPC motors out there, just none of them are v-8's in a production car. There are longevity concerns with anything new, whether it's this new gt350 or a civic with a brand new engine design.

Ford makes many many many FPC motors every year. Just this is the first v-8 and it's the largest v-8 FPC in a production car. Ford has the resources to do the testing required. I wouldn't worry much.
Uhh FPC is a term used specifically for the v8

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flat plane crank design is not v-8 specific.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I'm going to give the FPC a year until I jump in and enjoy my GT in the meantime.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Litres per cylinder:

6.3 V12 = 0.525
5.2 V8 = 0.650

I think it's that mass at the end of each rod x the speeds associated that gives rise to concern.

Sponsored

Jimdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado and R32 GTR
I'm not worried about it.
But I would never buy this as my only mode of transportation. And if I didn't have some savings set aside for a blown engine, warn-out high $$ rotors & pads, $$ tires, etc. because race car... not because FPC thing.

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes every conventional i4 is a FPC but that's hardly relevant in this context
It actually is because OP said Ford hasn't made a FPC before, which is entirely incorrect. Ford has balanced a 3 cylinder engine which is also a FPC and that's an amazing feat. The FPC term has really only come up with this V8 among mustang/Ford forums because it's the first time we have had to distinguish between crank designs on motors for the same car. FPC is not a term relegated for V-8's only.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
FPC is relevant for the V8 because it is inherently less balanced that the XPC typically used. A V12 is inherently balanced and therefore does not have the vibration concerns that the V8 does. Of course the three and four cylinder engines also have balance concerns, but they are much smaller and are not revving to over 8000 RPM either.

With all that in mind, I think it is fair to have some concerns over the lack of real-world testing on this new engine. But, like others have said, that is what the warranty is for.

-T

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
Everyone thought that the trinity engine at 662 hp and 7000 rpm was a hand grenade waiting to happen. Not the case. I suspect this engine will be more than fine. V12 and v8 and i4 are not really comparable as trackaholic stated

flaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
It actually is because OP said Ford hasn't made a FPC before, which is entirely incorrect. Ford has balanced a 3 cylinder engine which is also a FPC and that's an amazing feat. The FPC term has really only come up with this V8 among mustang/Ford forums because it's the first time we have had to distinguish between crank designs on motors for the same car. FPC is not a term relegated for V-8's only.
Ford's 3 cylinder is not a FPC. The 1.0-L crankshaft's throws are offset at 120°.

http://articles.sae.org/10714/

And Ferrari's V12s do not have flat plane cranks either whoever said that before.
Sponsored