FPC worry? Should I?

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.shelbyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 PP2, 05 STI 475whp, 04 cayenne turbo, Shelbys
Here is a pretty good description of DMF operation.
Remember rumors about a really rough idle etc?

[ame]
Sponsored

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.shelbyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 PP2, 05 STI 475whp, 04 cayenne turbo, Shelbys
cool video.

I guess this is the old school/conventional way to dampen.
Yup, but that won't do anything for crank oscillations anytime the clutch is disengaged… which I am sure you understand… just stating for the benefit of those following along.

Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Talked to some friends. They reminded me R34 GTR & Supra turbo had DMF. Both cars share a common Getrag 6spd (different case & ratio but same design). Without DMF drivetrain vibration takes place around 2,000rpm. R32 & 33 have the same engine as R34 but have different transmission & no DMF. They also don't have drivetrain vibrations unless ultra lightweight aftermarket flywheel is used. Simple answer, in that platform, DMF is used because of transmission.
They also said DMF can have performance advantages. If clutch disk springs are removed. Basically, moving damper mass from disk to flywheel. Lighter disk/s allows quicker shifts. For twin disk, mass of two springs sets, could be a significant. As a bonus, mass transferred to flywheel can help with clutch engagement, dampening engine vibration & allows lower idle rpm. So, if you have to have dampener mass. It's better to have on flywheel than disks. Of course, I don't know if GT350 is designed this way. Just random ramblings.
Sounds very plausible. Thanks for asking around.
Sponsored