Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
It seems to me we had a similar situation when the Camaro and Firebird ended production in 2002, and the Corvette was America's only other sporty V8 car.
My first thought was "How lazy will Ford get, if the Mustang doesn't have this competitor?"
Then, Mustang fans went completely the other way and there was some discussion over whether the Mustang should now have a trim gunning for the Corvette.

Someone at Ford realized the newly abandoned Camaro fans had other choices besides the Mustang, and thought "What else could people be cross-shopping?"
The GTO came out and wasn't terrible, and some people cross-shopped Mustangs and Goats.
Ford decided to step up their handling game, with some quiet mentions of the M3...

2005 came around and the new Mustang's aero was garbage, but the chassis was better by almost all accounts. Eventually we got the Boss out of it, and I wanted one. 🤤

Ford will have to ask again "What will people be cross-shopping with the Mustang GT and the Shady Pony?" Too bad the article doesn't address that.

What I see so far with the 2024 is the new chassis went the wrong direction on weight, and weight distribution. It's not only heavier but 1% more nose-heavy than my S550. 😕

Last edited:
OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
It seems to me we had a similar situation when the Camaro and Firebird ended production in 2002, and the Corvette was America's only other sporty V8 car.
My first thought was "How lazy will Ford get, if the Mustang doesn't have this competitor?"
Then, Mustang fans went completely the other way and there was some discussion over whether the Mustang should now have a trim gunning for the Corvette.

Someone at Ford realized the newly abandoned Camaro fans had other choices besides the Mustang, and thought "What else could people be cross-shopping?"
The GTO came out and wasn't terrible, and some people cross-shopped Mustangs and Goats.
Ford decided to step up their handling game, with some quiet mentions of the M3...

2005 came around and the new Mustang's aero was garbage, but the chassis was better by almost all accounts. Eventually we got the Boss out of it, and I wanted one. 🤤

Ford will have to ask again "What will people be cross-shopping with the Mustang GT and the Shady Pony?" Too bad the article doesn't address that.

What I see so far with the 2024 is the new chassis went the wrong direction on weight, and weight distribution. It's not only heavier but 1% more nose-heavy than my S550. 😕
To answer your cross shopping question, the BMW M2 seems to be the one that most here cross shop. Maybe the Supra as well, although that’s only a 2 seater so not a direct comp per se. Could also throw in the Miata vs the Ecoboost, but again, the Miata is a totally different car. GR86 is a good comp for the Eco I think.

I hope Ford doesn’t get lazy because there really isn’t much to cross shop compared to back in the early 2000’s. Mustang and Corvette (and the CT5 Blackwing) are the last V8’s standing until you get into cars beyond that price point.

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
...Could also throw in the Miata vs the Ecoboost, but again, the Miata is a totally different car. GR86 is a good comp for the Eco I think.
I see where you're coming from, but I no longer want to sit in either of those cars. 😅
5 minutes in an ND Miata confirmed: Nope, not buying this.
I would have liked my Mustang to be smaller in width and length, but new cars the next size down looked like a big jump. I erred on the side of a big car partly for my girlfriend's sake and partly for the V8 sound and highway gears. 😁

I'm kinda worried about what choice I'd have to make if my Mustang wore out or I couldn't find parts any more.

Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I don't quite get why they are all abandoning it. The demand is definitely there, and they all have well established engines that won't need much R&D going forward, just small updates here and there.

Give people options and maybe make V8s only available through a special order if they worry that they'll have a bunch of V8s sitting around on lots.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't quite get why they are all abandoning it.
Satan sitting on their shoulder, er I mean corp attorneys won't let them admit they were not just wrong, but catastraphically wrong. Notice how nobody admits fault/error but still pays record breaking fines. Yeah, no, you ADMIT your sins before we even think about forgiving you.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Ford should market the Mustang as future V8 coffins for us old geezers to be buried in. There's lots of us! :)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Ford should market the Mustang as future V8 coffins for us old geezers to be buried in. There's lots of us! :)
Best to befriend some Ford beanccounters and take them with you on your final ride.
Sponsored