Sponsored

Ford Racing Xpipe Water Leak

Dak2Zeke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 428
Hi Guys,

Just got my ford racing xpipe installed to go with my Roush and it sounds killer, however I noticed there was some water leakage in my garage this morning around where the xpipe aligns.

I got the install done by the dealer and they said the clamps that come with ford racing xpipe were really bad essentially and reccommended getting it welded? Not sure if he is just a shit mechanic or if the clamps are bad. I know a muffler shop told me the same thing when I was looking for quotes. WHat do you guys think?
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I have a heartthrob h-pipe I installed myself and I used the supplied bands. No leaks whatsoever. I would assume the quality would be the same. Anyways, welding is always the best option.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Water is a normal byproduct of combustion. Almost all exhaust connections that are not welded are not water tight. As long as you don't have any exhaust noise or black soot forming around the area indicating exhaust leakage I would not be worried. You can have the connections welded up and that will keep the water inside the piping (may contribute to rusting out) or it will eventually make its way out of the mufflers. Some mufflers even have what are called weep holes specifically to let water weep out so it doesn't lay inside the piping. Slip fit connections seem to be the most common to leak some water (my xpipe does the same thing).

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Until recently I had the Ford Perfomamce x pipe mated with my stock 18 gt mufflers. Clamps only no weld. No issues or leaks what so ever. Did the mechanic qualify what really bad meant to him ?

Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I got the install done by the dealer and they said the clamps that come with ford racing xpipe were really bad essentially...
I think they are full of it. IIRC when I installed mine the FRPP clamps are the same as the OEM ones used at the other end of the resonator.

If the resonator tubing was cut square with the X-pipe, and the clamps were lined up and properly torqued, there should not be a problem.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
My clamp leaks some on the passenger side , thats cause I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to this stuff.

I am going to get it welded eventually

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
did you try to tighten the clamps? after a number of hot/cold cycles they may have loosened.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
did you try to tighten the clamps? after a number of hot/cold cycles they may have loosened.
I keep meaning to do that , I even had it on the lift on Sunday to swap the summer wheels on.

lift.jpg
Sponsored