Ford Racing ProCal Tune

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
I've never had an NA engine have any issues from WOT at low RPM, they may not make good power, but a properly designed and running engine should not be unsafe in any throttle input condition the user could potentially command.
I have to disagree with you here lion,

An NA engine can only make a fraction of it's torque at low rpm becase it's volumertric efficiency will be crap at low engine speed. A small turbo like ours will fill every CC of a cylinder with 18-20 psi of compressed air making a huge boom against a piston at low speed.

Flooring a turbo engine at low rpm in high gear is abuse. Sure the engine can take some but if you do it all the time you will break something eventually.

A GT350 Voodo Can spin up to 8250 rpm, so it's designed for it, but if you constantly run it at 8200 rpm for extended periods, it will go pop sooner rather than later and no one would think twice about saying you were abusing it.

Every car I ever owned would let me red line it while being at below freezing temperature. Just because the car lets you do something does not mean that you should or be excused from doing it.

I am relitively sure I can claim to have the most hard miles on my Ecoboost. No one in europe that I have met has the number of kms (~34000 now) or been tuned as long as I have (picked the car up Aug 7 2015 at the port in Bremerhaven and drove it to Frankfurt, Loaded my tune from my Access Port on the Morning of August 8th).
If you don't live in Germany, the only way you could have Harder miles than me is if your trip to work includes a racetrack. It is a rare day i dont go 160 kph (100mph) or more and there has not been a week that the car has not seen at least 200. My only problem in all that time? Backup camera stopped working a few months ago, fixed under warrany in a day.

1) I never fill with anything other than 93 (except 30% Ethanol)
2) Never go into high boost when the oil is cold
3) Intercooler
4) Never ever ever go WOT below 3k RPM in 3rd-5th, 4k rpm for 6th. There is absolutely no valid reason to, acceleration sucks and it's not healthy for the motor full stop. I did it a few times to test the response of the turbo and when I was just to lazy to shift in the beginning and didn't know as much as I do now. Motor obviouly held fine but I wouldn't recommend doing it daily.

I have it on fairly good authority that one of the reasons ford pulled assembly out of Valencia was due to poor assembly practices.
Sponsored

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Just because the pedal is pushed to floor doesn't mean the pcm will open the throttle body to full throttle. The computer should have no problems modulate everything to be safe at any rpm full pedal throttle.

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Just because the pedal is pushed to floor doesn't mean the pcm will open the throttle body to full throttle. The computer should have no problems modulate everything to be safe at any rpm full pedal throttle.
That's exactly my point. The PCM controls the waste gate, it controls the throttle body (aka air intake), it controls timing, cam phase angle, fueling...there's absolutely not reason the PCM cannot keep the engine from operating safely at low RPM. If it's properly tuned like the OE, it will prevent any unsafe conditions from occuring.

Case in point, the user manual suggests I up shift from 5th to 6th at 50 mph for maximum fuel economy. That's just 1500 rpm cruising speed when I had the 3.31 rear end, at 77mph I was cruising right around 2100~2200 rpm. Those are all "prime LSPI" or detonation ranges...yet that's where the car spends almost all of its time on the highway. There is nothing in any Ford literature which prohibits you from going WOT at any RPM or in any gear, no warnings, nothing.

The PCM will not allow and conditions which would cause those types of failures if it's properly architected and tested. Now the car will not make a whole lot of torque at just 1500 rpm, because the PCM is keeping things within safe operation unlike older mechanical systems in which you could force the throttle body wide open as it was cable operated as an example.

Livernois has done many dyno runs in 5th at WOT from as low as 1500 RPM. They typically start at just 2100 rpm. Those are both prime LSPI or detonation (aka high intensity knock) areas which everyone freaks out about.

There's a lot of design efforts that have been made since the Speed 3's first debuted which have resolved those types of failures. In fact the articles on LSPI eventually came to the conclusion that it was generally resolved by engine design once they figure out the cause.

I'd bet my bottom dollar FP also tests their tunes just like Ford OE and Livernois...I cannot speak for how shop tuned cars would react, but I do know how OE testing is done and those who use similar methods. I'd imagine Livernois would be popping motors in their shop cars left and right given their starting RPM and the fact that all their testing is done in 5th gear, which provides the most accurate dyno reading and the most stress.

Ryan412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
So I just installed mine today. During the installation using the computer my engine went through tons of error messages. Then when it was completed all seemed well but then I had a traction control error. Then that traction control error went away. Now I have a check engine light...any advice?

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
So I just installed mine today. During the installation using the computer my engine went through tons of error messages. Then when it was completed all seemed well but then I had a traction control error. Then that traction control error went away. Now I have a check engine light...any advice?
You might want to PM v8_vega

Not sure anyone else who put it on themselves...

I happily paid a dealer.

Sponsored

Ryan412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
"I happily paid a dealer"...well some of us have balls on the forum and do things ourselves...not at installing a CAI and tune is any large feat lol. Thanks for the advice I'll send him a PM.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Luckily us armchair race car drivers won't have to guess much longer... @SteedaGT is taking his car to the track after install...

To be honest though, does anyone who gets this tune really care that much if they are in the 13s?

I'm guessing the targeted audience wants a "little more power" and for the transmission to be smoother. Ford delivered both...

Not sure anyone is really looking at this tune to be a speed demon. Maybe the reason why we have not seen many purchasers care about 0-60....
You need to benchmark it. Little more power for 600-1000 dollars means they can kiss my ass for it.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
You need to benchmark it. Little more power for 600-1000 dollars means they can kiss my ass for it.
No, I don't need to bench mark it... I'm good with the tune.

No ass kissing needed, you might not be their target audience... no biggie.

You can always get unleashed for $399... it also has a "little more power".

You might be happier with a big turbo... sure that has a "lot more power".

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
"I happily paid a dealer"...well some of us have balls on the forum and do things ourselves...not at installing a CAI and tune is any large feat lol. Thanks for the advice I'll send him a PM.
I don't like blue balls... looks like your balls are a little blue with all those codes kicking you in the groin.

I love doing things myself, like going to work so I can pay other professionals to do things for me (like install this tune). ;)

All jokes aside, I got this tune to keep my warranty... that means ASE/dealer installed. Plus, my dealer installed a few of these already... it was worth the $200.

Hopefully you get some help...

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I have it on fairly good authority that one of the reasons ford pulled assembly out of Valencia was due to poor assembly practices.

Bullshit... Valencia still builds the Ecoboost for the European market and supplies parts to Cleveland. I have not seen any hard evidence of assembly problems with Spanish engines. Also, why would Ford invest 200 million to move production to Cleveland instead of a couple million to fix poor assembly practices. Too far fetched to believe.

Production of the twin-scroll 2.0-liter and 2.3-liter EcoBoost engines for North America were previously based in Valencia, Spain. The investment in Cleveland shifted North American production to Ohio, leaving Ford’s Valencia Engine Plant as the exclusive production location of 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine for Ford of Europe-built vehicles. Valencia will continue to machine and ship components for both engines to North America

Sponsored

v8_vega

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost, 1974 Plymouth Duster
Responded to PM.

Did you get the foam piece figured out? Stumped me for a few minutes, was still a little tricky getting right.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Wow, dude. Really? Most people buy the FP tune because it's warranty friendly, and the way to maintain that warranty with the tune requires having an ASE certified mechanic install it.

If a person has "balls" as you like to put it, why didn't you get an aftermarket tune and really make the car do some work? That'd require more "balls" than a safe Ford tune. Smh.

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Wow, dude. Really? Most people buy the FP tune because it's warranty friendly, and the way to maintain that warranty with the tune requires having an ASE certified mechanic install it.

If a person has "balls" as you like to put it, why didn't you get an aftermarket tune and really make the car do some work? That'd require more "balls" than a safe Ford tune. Smh.
^^^ This :clap2:

Jayhawk Jake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver Ecoboost Premium
It's not really a question of 'balls', it's meeting a straightforward requirement to maintain a warranty.

I had the dealer install it, but they had issues with the software. They ended up allowing me to go home and run it myself, which I did with no problem, and they noted it in such a way as to honor the warranty requirement.

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang Stock- 13.64@100 1/4 mile
For the ecoboost mustang going WOT below 3000rpm is NOT good for these engines period.
Sponsored