Sponsored

Ford Racing ProCal Tune

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
I have no doubt that FP has access to more info and tuning parameters than an independent guy.
I'll take a FP tune that gives me 95% of what a custom tune will because I know they have spent more time on the dyno and tested with fully instrumented cars in all weather/driving conditions and it meets their durability standards, EPA standards, etc..

This is a little contradictory. Ford is dyno-tuning and R&Ding that canned tune of theirs, sure...and then its cut and watered down to a sweet enough vanilla flavor and all of the edges are shaved off so that it can be mass produced. How does that compete with another professional tuner actually dyno-tuning or datalogging a specific car that has its own DA, temperature, fuel quality, climate etc...

Saying its even 95% of a pro tune is...I don't know. Anyone going from the canned Cobb tune to a Adam or a canned Bama tune to Torrie can tell you the gap is way larger than a measly %5. All of those canned tunes are pretty much on par with what Ford is offering. I ran a canned tune for a couple of months before pro tuning. Its an improvement over stock, no doubt. Not even in the same ballpark as a revised protune.

Ordered mine yesterday. Was on the fence but what the hell. My warranty is already up but I feel safer with this than 3rd party tune.
You probably should've stayed on the fence. Out of warranty and you bought this?? :doh:

I always come to this thread for a little comic relief now and then.
Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
It drops it from 5/60 power train to a 3/36 warr

So if your transmission goes tits up in year 4 @40k miles Ford can deny your claim because of a Tune?

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
You probably should've stayed on the fence. Out of warranty and you bought this?? :doh:

What is wrong with purchasing the FP tune while out of warranty? You are not clear as to why it is such a bad idea.

To be clear, I don't think anyone thinks the FP tune is a good idea if you plan to mod further.

Looking at the dyno numbers from Tune+, FP, and Unleashed, all of them seem to be close in numbers when looking at their base tunes.

With the FP tune, you receive the CAI and auto calibration... did not see where unleashed offered auto calibration. Tune+ offers transmission calibration for $150 by itself.

Many would look at the FP tune with relief after hearing of having to go from winter to summer tunes and untold engine damage caused by 3rd parties. Not that FP won't cause engine damage... hopefully they have taken the time to get this right. Took them long enough to get this out.

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
Which part is BS? Please explain instead of jumping off into some immature rant. :lol:

I will say, when I received my "custom" tune, it was basically a "one size fits all" tune. Even when I had my mufflers added, nothing changed. Most tunes are one size unless you start adding a lot of parts.

If you go to a local tuner and put your car on a dyno, you definitely will receive better service. But you pay for that.
Its not a rant. How can a tune in a box ever be better than a Tune with a company like Tune+ who asks you to list your mods, send you a tune, has you send him some data logs and then sends you a final tune and then if you make any other mods he will update your tune yet again ?
FYI changing your mufflers on this car will not get you a performance gain, neither will an aftermarket cold air intake.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Its not a rant. How can a tune in a box ever be better than a Tune with a company like Tune+ who asks you to list your mods, send you a tune, has you send him some data logs and then sends you a final tune and then if you make any other mods he will update your tune yet again ?
FYI changing your mufflers on this car will not get you a performance gain, neither will an aftermarket cold air intake.
That is the point though.... everyone (far as I can tell) is saying:

IF YOU MOD, YOU SHOULD GET A 3RD PARTY TUNE (LUND, TUNE+, UNLEASHED)

Not sure how to be more clear than that.

We are talking about cars with no mods or light mods (muffler, CAI) and no plans to mod.

Looking at the dyno charts available, all of the base tunes (FP, tune+ and unleashed) seem to be around the same. I would like to see another 3rd party dyno of the FP tune though (we have two FP dyno.... one from FP and one from whipple).

Cost wise, none can touch unleashed. Tune+ and FP seem to be around the same price, depending on your dealer cost to install and if you get tune+ transmission tune. Obviously, if you have warranty left, FP may be the way to go (again, if you don't plan on heavy mods later). FP comes with the auto calibration and CAI.

No one saying you wrong (you are right, actually), but you don't seem to be following the convo. :love:

Sponsored

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
One of the FP guys said they can create a better tune since they can make changes others can't. True or marketing? Does it matter? Dunno...

This is the only thing I am calling bs on. I dont know how we are so far off track here. I a was merely stating that a good custom tune will get you better results than a box tune. Thats all ! lol

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
The one thing I "suspect" that FP knows that other tuners don't are the weaknesses of the engines. They can manage the tune in a way that avoids putting undue pressure on those points of the engine. That should make the tune "safer". As a DD I am happy with it now, I would like to get the tune that would more likely be dealer friendly if something goes wrong.

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
The one thing I "suspect" that FP knows that other tuners don't are the weaknesses of the engines. They can manage the tune in a way that avoids putting undue pressure on those points of the engine. That should make the tune "safer". As a DD I am happy with it now, I would like to get the tune that would more likely be dealer friendly if something goes wrong.
I would definitely agree with you on that. They have all the data on failures

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Seeing yet another ecoboost engine grenade itself in another thread last week using a reliable tuner, I am sticking with FP. Never mind the countless check engine codes being thrown out. Independent tuners are under the assumption that you want nothing to do with durability or even sometimes stability. They assume you want to drag race it and get the fastest 1/4 possible with a certain degree of reason. I am not going to FP and asking them to give me the fastest 1/4 possible, but to make it less conservative and at least beat out a Toyota grocery runner. FP puts out a tune for the everyday driver. The FP tune puts out 25-30 more horsepower while others put out 100 or more. Do the math: that is over 3x more stress on the motor over factory stock. That's crazy. If Ford new they could reliably deliver that kind of power for a 25,000-32,000 car they would or they would be leaving money on the table.

Sponsored

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
One of the FP guys said they can create a better tune since they can make changes others can't. True or marketing? Does it matter? Dunno...

This is the only thing I am calling bs on. I dont know how we are so far off track here. I a was merely stating that a good custom tune will get you better results than a box tune. Thats all ! lol
I would agree if you had custom bolt ons like intakes, inter coolers, aux fuel, and so forth. Without a custom tune for them, they would be a waste of money or even unusable. FP really is just a tune for keeping it on the road using stock parts - not on a drag strip. If you are just using stock equipment, I don't understand why a tuner needs to modify the tune for your location unless you live in an extreme environment. If a 20 degree temp swing can wreak havoc on your system, then you are playing with fire anyway. And tuning for gas quality is utter none sense. How the hell does he know from one day to the next what the gas quality is? The fed's have the gas quality checked routinely in most states because they are piped through shared services until they reach the trucks for shipment - the only thing the differentiates most of the gas in terms of brand is the additives they put in them afterwards. If you are running water downed gas in a tricked out motor and then your motor blows, you are shit out of luck because chances are that gas was within permissible allowances.

Last edited:

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
You probably should've stayed on the fence. Out of warranty and you bought this??

Not sure how this is funny? I had a tune from one of the custom tuners last year and my engine blew a week later. Probably just bad luck but I don't feel like taking that chance again. My car is a DD. I don't need bleeding edge performance just looking for a little something more. Besides it looks like ir will give some solid performance.

And I just feel it wil be a little more reliable. time will tell I guess.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
IF YOU MOD, YOU SHOULD GET A 3RD PARTY TUNE (LUND, TUNE+, UNLEASHED)
Say that again, slowly. Now isn't a tune, a 'mod?'

For people with warranties, I can kind of see where they're coming from with the paranoia. But these things are closing in on $1,000 dealer installed. For a canned 91 octane tune and an intake!? I guess we know what 36,000 miles worth of peace of mind is worth to some people.

I know you may consider there to be levels of modifications. The tune itself is the biggest modification there is. You're rewriting the brain. Maybe I'm weird for thinking this way but its like getting pregnant or getting a tattoo. Either go all the way or totally forget it.

This is just my opinion but (especially if you're out of warranty) to anyone considering a tune, you'd be much better off buying a Cobb Accessport and running whatever OTS map you want. For that you get the same power bump, and an actual DEVICE and one of the best ones around. People may not be interested enough to set launch control, monitor knock, afr, oar or datalog with it, but they're paying more for less.

I also don't think this is surprising anyone. Factory tunes and refreshes are all pretty standard in what you pay for and what you get back. This one is no different.

Not saying anyone is wrong, its just my opinion.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Say that again, slowly. Now isn't a tune, a 'mod?'
I was trying to go slow for slow people... but some can't keep up no matter what. One out of two is not bad. :eek:

For people with warranties, I can kind of see where they're coming from with the paranoia. But these things are closing in on $1,000 dealer installed. For a canned 91 octane tune and an intake!? I guess we know what 36,000 miles worth of peace of mind is worth to some people.

I know you may consider there to be levels of modifications. The tune itself is the biggest modification there is. You're rewriting the brain. Maybe I'm weird for thinking this way but its like getting pregnant or getting a tattoo. Either go all the way or totally forget it.

This is just my opinion but (especially if you're out of warranty) to anyone considering a tune, you'd be much better off buying a Cobb Accessport and running whatever OTS map you want. For that you get the same power bump, and an actual DEVICE and one of the best ones around. People may not be interested enough to set launch control, monitor knock, afr, oar or datalog with it, but they're paying more for less.

I also don't think this is surprising anyone. Factory tunes and refreshes are all pretty standard in what you pay for and what you get back. This one is no different.

Not saying anyone is wrong, its just my opinion.
Sounds like an opinion for sure.

I'll be glad when we get some more numbers... 0-60s... pulls... and get the thread back on track...

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Sounds like an opinion for sure.

I'll be glad when we get some more numbers... 0-60s... pulls... and get the thread back on track...
0-60? lol
Sponsored