Ford Racing Hood Strut Installation Fail

DFWStangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2019 Oxford White GT
So I received the Ford Racing hood struts I ordered from GYeomans Ford. Unfortunately, the instructions that came with them are confusing at best. I installed the lower mounts backwards and had to turn them around so they line up with the upper mounts. I was able to get the driver's side done with no issue, but when I attempted to loosen the passenger side bolt and turn it 180 the hardware came off inside the hole. I tried taking the wheel off and removing the fender liner to try and get the pieces to fall out but I'm at a loss. Anyone else have the same issue or know how to get the pieces out without taking the fender off? Any help would be appreciated. By the way, I did email the seller to see if they would be able to replace the hardware but will not hear back from them until tomorrow sometime.
Sponsored

OP
OP

DFWStangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2019 Oxford White GT
Update: I used one of the telescopic magnetic pick up tools at work to fish the pieces out of the fender. Hopefully I won't drop the pieces again when i get home from work and reattempt to install the passenger side lower mount. I definitely need to invest in one for the garage.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Moral of the story: Should've gotten the Steeda kit! :D

J/K (kind of). Yeh, definitely invest in one of those extendable magnetic tools. I recently bought a Craftsmen one from Sears during a sale for like $6. It even has an LED light on the end.

The Steeda ones work great although to this day, I'm still confused by the trapezoidal bolts/washers that go into the oval holes in the bottom (not sure if the FR ones mount the same way). In the instructions it makes it sound like they should catch as you tighten them. Mine never did. I had to kind of pull up on it while tightening. Ultimately, it seems to have worked out tho... Good luck!

Jeffy_2010

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt 6-speed/ performance pack Oxford white
I did the same thing lol, and yeah the steeda uses the trapezoid bolt thing as well. I hate the design

Sponsored

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the redline kit after seeing the ford kit wasn't getting the greatest reviews.

Terry :)

Redline Tuning

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.redlinetuning.com
First Name
Andreas
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I went with the redline kit after seeing the ford kit wasn't getting the greatest reviews.

Terry :)
Buy the BEST and you only buy it once! :thumbsup: Our fender bracket insert system uses CNC milled anodized aluminum inserts to insure our brackets don't rotate once installed.

55-00015-2T.jpg

Plus our Hood QuickLIFT PLUS system is covered by a 4 year warranty on every component including the gas springs. :headbang:

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Buy the BEST and you only buy it once! :thumbsup: Our fender bracket insert system uses CNC milled anodized aluminum inserts to insure our brackets don't rotate once installed.

55-00015-2T.jpg

Plus our Hood QuickLIFT PLUS system is covered by a 4 year warranty on every component including the gas springs. :headbang:
The inserts work great. I cannot comment on any other hood strut. :shrug:

Redline FTW. I love mine:thumbsup:

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible

55-00015-2T.jpg

Will these brackets work with the Ford Perf Hood Struts? I have a 2019 Mustang and I need an extra bracket These look nice.

Sponsored

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
Will these brackets work with the Ford Perf Hood Struts? I have a 2019 Mustang and I need an extra bracket These look nice.
It's impressive you found an almost 5 year old thread to ask your question.

I also have Ford Performance struts and don't recall needing an extra bracket.

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
It's impressive you found an almost 5 year old thread to ask your question.

I also have Ford Performance struts and don't recall needing an extra bracket.
By impressive, I think you really mean pathetic.

Anyway, I just got the car preowned and it came with the hood struts. Last week I noticed the passenger side bracket (which was obscured by the battery cover) was twisted and a bit loose. I took it off and noticed the bracket was severely overtightened to the point the bracket is useless. to make things worse, the steel under the bracket is also mangled a bit from being overtightened and a bracket won't even sit nicely on it anymore. I'm going to have to somehow flatten out this piece of steel and get a new bracket somewhere. Know anyone who might sell these brackets individually?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Just buy a redline kit and remove old struts
Sponsored