JStyles300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 (H4572)
Hey, everyone!

I recently purchased a ‘17 GT350…LOVE IT!!! is an understatement! A previous owner put a ProCharger on it…and the dealership is offering to add the Ford Protect extended warranty. I know there are a LOT of debates as to whether or not a supercharger will void the warranty, so I was a little surprised they even offered it.

My primary concern that I’d want a warranty to help me with would be a blown engine…which I suspect Ford would immediately point to the supercharger and deny a claim. Any thoughts on that?

Also, even if they wouldn’t cover the engine, do you feel having the extended warranty would still be worth it to cover everything not related to the supercharger/engine?

At the end of the day, I kind of like having the piece of mind of a warranty…but don’t want to throw away $4,700 if it’s not going to be worth it.
IMG_3021.jpeg
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I think you’d have a tough time getting them to fix/replace a blown engine with the S/C on it. The ESP could be useful for other things such as the trans, electronics, etc. If you plan on tracking the car, just beware that another member here went through a tough battle with Ford ESP over a transmission issue and was denied because of signs of track use (HPDE specifically). It was denied under the no racing clause and went to arbitration where the member did not get a favorable ruling. So just know that going in and if you do plan to track, remove all signs of it before going in for a potential warranty claim. Even if the claim is not track related

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
$4700, HOLY COW, that's a little steep. I would shop with Flood Ford and see what their quote is first. Might be cheaper to buy online like I did. I paid about 1/2 what I was quoted at the dealer when I bought mine. Of course they offered it to me on a new car, I waited about 6 months to buy on mine.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
$4700, HOLY COW, that's a little steep. I would shop with Flood Ford and see what their quote is first. Might be cheaper to buy online like I did. I paid about 1/2 what I was quoted at the dealer when I bought mine. Of course they offered it to me on a new car, I waited about 6 months to buy on mine.
That sounds about right for a GT350 that is out of the new car warranty period. I agree, Flood or Granger (sponsor here) can probably do better on price.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
That sounds about right for a GT350 that is out of the new car warranty period. I agree, Flood or Granger (sponsor here) can probably do better on price.
Yeah I didn't consider that. Once the 3/36 is done, the price goes WAY up ...

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
My primary concern that I’d want a warranty to help me with would be a blown engine…which I suspect Ford would immediately point to the supercharger and deny a claim. Any thoughts on that?
You better make sure that whatever policy you get specifically calls out modifications and/or the supercharger installed. I highly doubt that will be the case though because 1) the unit was installed by a previous owner and 2) Ford ESP doesn't cover any aftermarket stuff.

Also a supercharger affects more than the engine, it can also impact the transmission, driveshaft and rear end. Basically your entire powertrain will not be covered. What you're left with is $4700 warranty for minor things which IMO is not even remotely worth it. Heck I don't think $4700 is worth for a stock car which includes engine.

To me this sounds like a pushy salesman just wanting more commission by pushing useless stuff onto you.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
You better make sure that whatever policy you get specifically calls out modifications and/or the supercharger installed. I highly doubt that will be the case though because 1) the unit was installed by a previous owner and 2) Ford ESP doesn't cover any aftermarket stuff.

Also a supercharger affects more than the engine, it can also impact the transmission, driveshaft and rear end. Basically your entire powertrain will not be covered. What you're left with is $4700 warranty for minor things which IMO is not even remotely worth it. Heck I don't think $4700 is worth for a stock car which includes engine.

To me this sounds like a pushy salesman just wanting more commission by pushing useless stuff onto you.
Hey, everyone!

I recently purchased a ‘17 GT350…LOVE IT!!! is an understatement! A previous owner put a ProCharger on it…and the dealership is offering to add the Ford Protect extended warranty. I know there are a LOT of debates as to whether or not a supercharger will void the warranty, so I was a little surprised they even offered it.

Also, even if they wouldn’t cover the engine, do you feel having the extended warranty would still be worth it to cover everything not related to the supercharger/engine?

At the end of the day, I kind of like having the piece of mind of a warranty…but don’t want to throw away $4,700 if it’s not going to be worth it.
IMG_3021.jpeg
I have easy care total care 10year deal.you might check them out

OP
OP
JStyles300

JStyles300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 (H4572)
Yeah I didn't consider that. Once the 3/36 is done, the price goes WAY up ...
Sorry, forgot to mention…that’s for 72/50,000 and well after the factory warranty expired.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, forgot to mention…that’s for 72/50,000 and well after the factory warranty expired.
Yeah after the factory warranty expires it is way higher. I got mine at 6K miles and only a few months in. I went 7/72 (basically doubled the bumper to bumper) and it was 1/4 that cost for premium care. Mine is only a GT though, I know the 350 has much higher priced bits in some areas :)

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Cut from my Ford PremiumCare ESP contract:

1711312892806-pu.png

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
All extended warranties are is just a fancy name for an insurance policy.
Personally, I'd consider putting that $5k into a high return investment somewhere and self insuring if anything goes wrong. $5k will pay for a lot of repairs and, if it isn't needed, you'll have a nice bit of cash in your pocket.
If you're dead set on having that "warranty" consider talking to your insurance agent or some of the big aftermarket companies. You may find you get a better deal there.
BUT, If you do decide on any "warranty" read and reread what's covered, what's not covered and any special conditions or things that are required of you.
Then read it all again!

rwp50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black California Special
I purchased my second extended warranty (2017 gt California Special with 52k miles) last July for $1900 at the Ford dealer. First one covered the $3,000 cost for evaporator replacement and this one for the IMRC new intake fix. What next?

rwp50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black California Special
Car is totally stock. I’m 74 and retired so as much as I’d like to upgrade it I’m leaving it alone.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Prior to the Mustang, I had only purchased an ESP one time, in 1985 for my new Bronco, as it was the first year of the EFI system on the engine. That one paid off when the front differential and axle needed replacement.

I took one on the Mustang (8 yr) mostly because of the glass dashboard. Only used it once so far (5 years next week), and that was a week ago to replace the passenger window motor. I'm still behind the curve (the $1000 or so for the policy plus a $200 deductible on the motor), but the piece of mind on a massive electronic issue allows me to justify it. I don't expect I'll be ahead of the game when it finally runs out.
Sponsored