Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
For those who plan to change to say a 4s or similar tire you may want to keep the springs. The R stock with stock sc2's is nearly identical in rode height compared to the R on a 4s.
FB_IMG_1501781970539.jpg
FB_IMG_1501781959604.jpg
Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
You know how I know you haven't driven your R much yet? :) :) I certainly wouldn't go any lower.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
LOL!!! It was a gas station on a hill and entering and exiting is at an incline. The curb was in a blind spot just shy of the crest of the hill so it was not visible. I had never been to this gas station before but needed a full bag of fuel for the alignment appt. Moral of my story? Do not visit unknown gas stations with a low car with large spitters...LOL
Yeah I literally plan my route around the height of a car. I dont enter any lot I dont think I cant get out of :)

Last edited:

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
So here's the million dollar question for the non-R owner....go with R springs or FP springs? I'll run both 30s and35s on the street and it's not a daily driver. I already feel the car is low. Motivation for the spring/bar change is enahancing track performance....mitigate the roll, especially in front. I do have solid bushings in the rear.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
So here's the million dollar question for the non-R owner....go with R springs or FP springs? I'll run both 30s and35s on the street and it's not a daily driver.
With the standard splitter I'd happily go with FP springs and 30's. With the R splitter and 30's...I cannot see doing FP springs unless you don't mind replacing the splitter fairly frequently.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
With the standard splitter I'd happily go with FP springs and 30's. With the R splitter and 30's...I cannot see doing FP springs unless you don't mind replacing the splitter fairly frequently.
And there is the reason that I could not keep them. Thanks!

kart125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350/2008 Saab TurboX SC
So here's the million dollar question for the non-R owner....go with R springs or FP springs? I'll run both 30s and35s on the street and it's not a daily driver. I already feel the car is low. Motivation for the spring/bar change is enahancing track performance....mitigate the roll, especially in front. I do have solid bushings in the rear.
I have a non-R. I installed the R springs with rear sway bar in the spring. Made a noticeable difference on track, car being more stable (less roll/dive). Driveability was not affected.

I just switched to FP lowering springs 2 weeks ago. Car feel is really similar but lowered. For sure it makes it a bit more problematic to drive in the city, mainly when entering a driveway of over speed bumps. I also have an APR splitter installed which makes it lower than stock. A non-R with lowering springs and stock splitter I dont see any problem with FP lowering springs. So for track performance only, I'd say R spring/sway bar combo is the way to go.

Here is a picture with track wheels/tires (R-spec) with lowering springs. MM camber plates raise the front by 1/4" so I might switch to Vorschlag next year...
IMG_2464.JPG
IMG_2465.JPG
IMG_2466.JPG

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
^^Thanks for that feedback....exactly what I was looking for. So you essentially saw no notable difference in track performance between the two springs? Did the R springs give you any drop at all?

Also, did you happen to weigh those kick ass wheels? Lookin' sharp!

kart125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350/2008 Saab TurboX SC
^^Thanks for that feedback....exactly what I was looking for. So you essentially saw no notable difference in track performance between the two springs? Did the R springs give you any drop at all?

Also, did you happen to weigh those kick ass wheels? Lookin' sharp!
Nothing noticeable on the track... the lower CG might make a slight difference but the spring rates between the R springs and lowering springs are similar on the butt-o-meter (anyone saw numbers for rates on the lowering springs? I haven't). Going from non-R to R (or lowering springs) makes a big improvement on the way the car handles. The 30 series tire on lightweight forged wheels also add to the effect...

The R springs are not lowering the car from what I've read and experienced. If they lower a bit, then it's not noticeable to the eye. Don't see the R springs as lowering springs and you will be happy with the results.

The Forgeline GS1R in R-spec are around 20 pounds each (never got the wheels without tires so I have no weight data but Paul at PKauto weighs them before tire install and 20 pounds is the typical weight for the R-spec Forgelines). Really happy with them. Within a couple of pounds from the CF wheels for a fraction of the price. Plus you can choose the style/color to suit your tastes.

Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Nothing noticeable on the track... the lower CG might make a slight difference but the spring rates between the R springs and lowering springs are similar on the butt-o-meter (anyone saw numbers for rates on the lowering springs? I haven't). Going from non-R to R (or lowering springs) makes a big improvement on the way the car handles. The 30 series tire on lightweight forged wheels also add to the effect...

The R springs are not lowering the car from what I've read and experienced. If they lower a bit, then it's not noticeable to the eye. Don't see the R springs as lowering springs and you will be happy with the results.

The Forgeline GS1R in R-spec are around 20 pounds each (never got the wheels without tires so I have no weight data but Paul at PKauto weighs them before tire install and 20 pounds is the typical weight for the R-spec Forgelines). Really happy with them. Within a couple of pounds from the CF wheels for a fraction of the price. Plus you can choose the style/color to suit your tastes.
Very nice setup. I have VX1Rs on order and they will be here in a month. I'll weigh the stock non R wheels competed to the Forgelines for people that are curious. They are coming with 305/325 PS4S on them so I won't be able to weigh just the rim. Does anybody have OEM CF weight with the tires on by chance?

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Very nice setup. I have VX1Rs on order and they will be here in a month. I'll weigh the stock non R wheels competed to the Forgelines for people that are curious. They are coming with 305/325 PS4S on them so I won't be able to weigh just the rim. Does anybody have OEM CF weight with the tires on by chance?
I do. Sitting in my garage. Do you want me to weigh front and rear?

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I do. Sitting in my garage. Do you want me to weigh front and rear?
Yah that would be cool if you could. It would be interesting to see the difference between the CF OEM and one of the lighter aftermarket options.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Yah that would be cool if you could. It would be interesting to see the difference between the CF OEM and one of the lighter aftermarket options.
Sure. I've got jury duty tomorrow, so after that I will weigh them.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Sure. I've got jury duty tomorrow, so after that I will weigh them.
Ah the fun civic duty we all get from time to time. Hopefully it is interesting for you at least.
Sponsored