Sponsored

Ford Performance By Borla Cat-Back Exhaust

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I searched the forums for group buy but couldnt find anything.

Everything you are saying is true, but this is one of those things that crosses the cost/benefit threshold. Its like the 90% of porsche options. You could always make an argument about them and yes they add some value but you know they are excessive. Like the $9000 CCB or $10,000 sport chrono or $5000 sport exhaust mode.

The point of this car is its a $60,000 car that competes with $150,000 cars. Its not a 911 nor a Z06 or an ACR. Do you see my point? Today its $2200 for an exhaust tomorrow $8,000 wheel set that weighs 17lbs next week $2,000 carbon fiber driveshaft, so on:)

I have spent over 7 figures on cars so this isnt coming from a 20 year old kid who is spending 50% of his income on the car.

I have a feeling that whoever the exec is in Ford marketing they know people who buy this car have money so lets skim and dime them. The exhaust probably has a huge 50-60% profit margin built in even after USA labor.
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I have asked every retailer that sells the exhaust and was told not a penny discount due to the way Ford pricing works. ATAK exhaust can be had for a lot less though. If you can point me in the right direction, that would be great.
Today its $2200 for an exhaust tomorrow $8,000 wheel set that weighs 17lbs next week $2,000 carbon fiber driveshaft, so on:)
Hang on. So when you said "was told not a penny discount" up above are you saying that you were quoted $2200 (that you then point to in the second quote)? Can you name some of the retailers that quoted you this price?

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hang on. So when you said "was told not a penny discount" up above are you saying that you were quoted $2200 (that you then point to in the second quote)? Can you name some of the retailers that quoted you this price?

LMR, lethal perfomance, american muscle, cj pony.

Its not $2200 to be exact, I think $2167 more like it.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll be damned. I looked and you're right.

All I can say is that there is plenty of room for these vendors with respect to the FRP/Borla system, especially if there is an order of three or more systems. I can't speak for resellers but rather bona fide dealers of Ford Racing parts. They can't advertise below a certain threshold but that doesn't mean you can't negotiate below the advertised price. I can't speak to the margins Borla is pulling in but for dealers moving these systems the profit is rather hefty.

Sponsored

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350

All I can say is that there is plenty of room for these vendors with respect to the FRP/Borla system, especially if there is an order of three or more systems. I can't speak for resellers but rather bona fide dealers of Ford Racing parts. They can't advertise below a certain threshold but that doesn't mean you can't negotiate below the advertised price. I can't speak to the margins Borla is pulling in but for dealers moving these systems the profit is rather hefty.
Yeah, well no one is doing anything with the price and even if they did, they are not going to discount a lot.

Resonator delete is about $300 here. The issue with that is once you do it, if you dont like it or want to go back to stock for whatever reason, you need to pay another $200 to weld the resonators back.

Which means the corsa x pipe for $500 is probably the best solution. It improves flow, the sound and its easy to go back to stock using clamps.

when you compare corsa x pipe to fp exhaust, you are basically paying $1700 for not cutting the pipes. All other arguments about higher quality steel, larger tubing (its actually 3" so its even larger than FP exhaust), sound all applies.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Yeah, well no one is doing anything with the price and even if they did, they are not going to discount a lot.

Resonator delete is about $300 here. The issue with that is once you do it, if you dont like it or want to go back to stock for whatever reason, you need to pay another $200 to weld the resonators back.

Which means the corsa x pipe for $500 is probably the best solution. It improves flow, the sound and its easy to go back to stock using clamps.

when you compare corsa x pipe to fp exhaust, you are basically paying $1700 for not cutting the pipes. All other arguments about higher quality steel, larger tubing (its actually 3" so its even larger than FP exhaust), sound all applies.
In order to use the Corsa X pipe you have to cut the stock x-pipe out of the car, so welding would be required to replace the stock unit. The OEM catback is one giant piece all the way back to where it connects to the headers. Unfortunately you can't just unbolt the stock xpipe and bolt another one in.

"If I do the resonator delete and then don't like it...." said no one ever :lol: :D

Cfirekirch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
In order to use the Corsa X pipe you have to cut the stock x-pipe out of the car, so welding would be required to replace the stock unit. The OEM catback is one giant piece all the way back to where it connects to the headers. Unfortunately you can't just unbolt the stock xpipe and bolt another one in.

"If I do the resonator delete and then don't like it...." said no one ever :lol: :D
Matt Moreman of Obsessed Garage didn't like it.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Matt Moreman of Obsessed Garage didn't like it.
He also wasn't a fan of the stock sound though too...

I digress, he is the one exception... as he must be out of his dam mind :lol: :crazy:

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Question: how do you remove the heat shield and also how do you attach it. Ack? Are those metal clamps sold anywhere?

Sponsored

DUJALA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350-LB w/Black OTT
LMR, lethal perfomance, american muscle, cj pony.

Its not $2200 to be exact, I think $2167 more like it.
MCarsfan got a discount when he had 3 people order. Claimed to get it for $1800 shipped. There appeared to be some interest after the first 3 spots filled. Maybe you could try this approach.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Question: how do you remove the heat shield and also how do you attach it. Ack? Are those metal clamps sold anywhere?
Borla includes 4 metal clamps. They are made by "Band It."

The issue is that there are three heat shields. One large main shield and two smaller (mirror image) shields. So there are enough clamps supplied to add the large shield but not the two small ones. They are clamped on one end and welded on the other. If you want to use them you have to carefully cut out or around the weld and also cut the clamps. You are then left finding more clamps or welding them.

I'm keeping the supplied clamps (because you never know) but welded my shields on. Beware - you have to plug weld around or through a hole in the shields. You cannot weld them directly as they are aluminum and will melt instantly.

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Borla includes 4 metal clamps. They are made by "Band It."

The issue is that there are three heat shields. One large main shield and two smaller (mirror image) shields. So there are enough clamps supplied to add the large shield but not the two small ones. They are clamped on one end and welded on the other. If you want to use them you have to carefully cut out or around the weld and also cut the clamps. You are then left finding more clamps or welding them.

I'm keeping the supplied clamps (because you never know) but welded my shields on. Beware - you have to plug weld around or through a hole in the shields. You cannot weld them directly as they are aluminum and will melt instantly.
Hmm. Can we not buy of these band it clamps for the other heat shields? I dont know how to weld so therr is no way for me to weld them. What is your suggestion for this?

Also any other pointers about the installation? Anything else to watch out for/be aware?

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000

While I do agree with you virtually 100% of the time you post, I would disagree a bit. While on the surface there is a "good margin" when you order 3 systems, when one considers the size and weight of the system, there is the added expense of shipping costs that will substantially eat into said margin. My theory on why the pricing is relatively the same across the board out there is due primarily to dealers drop shipping the kit directly from FP, as opposed to ordering 3 kits, stocking them, and then shipping them from the dealer to the customer. These are rather large kits from what I understand, possibly too large for fedex/ups.. and would require truck freight.
Sponsored