Sponsored

Ford GT350/R First Rides/Reviews Thread(Updated First Drive Reviews on P.11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Guess they put a drag mode on it for no Q@#$#@ing reason then. :doh:

An electronic setting won't make it a drag car. Not even close. Most people who drag race will turn off all electronic assists anyway.
Sponsored

speedracermustangfan

Custom User Title
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sean
Vehicle(s)
2015 subaru wrx
While it might not be a "drag car" if it manages high 11's at ~120 its got bragging rights and will be faster than 95% of the cars on the road.

People will also no doubt modify this car even further in a quest for a few tenths in the 1/4.

H1 GT

Crew Chief
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
15 4C, 97 H1
I want Chris Harris to get his hands on one!
Why? For a garbage review to learn "why yes, you can kick the rear end out all over the place." Chris Harris is a joke of a car reviewer.

H1 GT

Crew Chief
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
15 4C, 97 H1
Any car can be a drift car when Chris Harris is testing it. :p
Exactly. That's all he does. Nothing special. And looking into some of the cars he has called bad in the past (Miata..not a racecar but certainly not bad) just screams to me that he is an attention whore and nothing more.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
An electronic setting won't make it a drag car. Not even close. Most people who drag race will turn off all electronic assists anyway.
I'm no drag racing expert, but I think one of the big things drag racing cars need is front shocks that will extend super easily to enable weight transfer. Rear shock settings make a huge difference as well. With magneride, a drag setting just might not be a joke. It could make a huge difference in the straight line performance of the car.

Kudos to Ford for thinking out of the box on this one.

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
I'm a road racer at heart, but I also enjoy a good drag race once in awhile. However, I'm having a little difficulty with the idea and expense of converting a perfectly good road racer into a drag car. :shrug:

Last edited:

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP
I'm no drag racing expert, but I think one of the big things drag racing cars need is front shocks that will extend super easily to enable weight transfer. Rear shock settings make a huge difference as well. With magneride, a drag setting just might not be a joke. It could make a huge difference in the straight line performance of the car.

Kudos to Ford for thinking out of the box on this one.

Yep. They said that in one of their videos is that it changes the settings on the shocks for launching in the "drag" setting.

speedracermustangfan

Custom User Title
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sean
Vehicle(s)
2015 subaru wrx
Slicks or drag radials aren't that expensive. You can always put your drag setup on when you want a good 1/4 time Friday night, and put the stockers back on to go to work on monday.

The boss was an 11 sec car with just tires and wheels...everything else bone stock. That was also a "track car".

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/03/29/video-stock-2012-mustang-boss-302-runs-11-7-117-mph/

If the gt350 can manage an 11.9 stock, expect low-mid 11's with a tire. That's pretty quick, and that doesn't even include potential tunes/bolt ons.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
The Boss also had a solid rear axle with zero camber and was essentially the same, suspension geometry-wise, as a regular GT. You would have to dial out a lot of the negative rear camber the GT350 is sure to have in order to get the most out of the rear tires. Going from road racing to drag racing will be more difficult for the GT350 than it was for the Boss in my opinion.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Did you by chance stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night?
:D

The Boss also had a solid rear axle with zero camber and was essentially the same, suspension geometry-wise, as a regular GT. You would have to dial out a lot of the negative rear camber the GT350 is sure to have in order to get the most out of the rear tires. Going from road racing to drag racing will be more difficult for the GT350 than it was for the Boss in my opinion.
You are right that a SRA is more suited for drag racing. The IRS is an obstacle for the GT350 on the strip.

speedracermustangfan

Custom User Title
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sean
Vehicle(s)
2015 subaru wrx
Where there's a will, there's a way. People will be drag racing this car regardless of what minor modifications are needed to do so. I highly doubt ford set this car up to be useless on a drag strip, but excellent on a road course. Launch control is also a standard feature on this car.

I don't understand why people are so against this car being raced at a drag strip. Like it's such a travesty that it might be able to run a low 1/4 mile time.

I hope to have fun on the track and the strip with this car, look for me on youtube. :thumbsup:

Brutane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350,14 Silverado, 14 suburban, 77 bandit T/A
One of the first things I do is take this car to the strip. I think it's going to be a beast no matter where you race it.

Status
Not open for further replies.