Sponsored

Ford Flat Labor Time--Brake Pad Replacement

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One hour might be a bit rushed (I want them to do things right). Anything over 2 hours is getting ridiculous.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Yeah, 4 hours is nuts. I can do all 4 corners on mine in the driveway in less than an hour.
This, literally a few posts back with the youtube video explaining how to do it the front was less than 15 minutes per wheel.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
If you watch the video there is a lot of compressed time and steps skipped. For instance the car is already on a lift, the wheels are instantaneously removed from the hubs, tools and parts are already in hand, the loctite is already applied to the caliper bolts, nothing got torqued, the wheels magically are back on the hubs, etc.

At a decent pace I would guess 1.5-2hrs tops. Too many times I have said I can get it done in X amount of time only to find out it's more like 2X.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
At a decent pace I would guess 1.5-2hrs tops.
I can replace pads only on my GT in 20 minuets. Jacking the car up to letting it down. I do have air tools.
On the GT we don't have to remove the caliper just pull the pins. So if it took 10 mimuets longer on the 350 I would be stopping for a beer between wheels.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I'll bet warranty pad replacement on the GT350 is .3 or .4 MAYBE .5 for the front.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Back in the days of old, when Caliperfexion studs were still but a dream, there was a magical tool that made changing GT350 front pads pretty easy.

Bolts M14x2x180 - Brake Tools.jpg

They're 180 mm long M14x2 cap screws and they screw into the knuckle where the caliper bolts go. And, the best part is, they're 'way longer than the caliper bolts.

To use them, you remove one caliper bolt, screw in one of these guys about an inch, remove the other caliper bolt and screw in the second one. Then, as easy as can be, you slide the caliper out to the end of the bolts, change the pads, slide the caliper back into place and swap the factory bolts back in.

Brain dead simple.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Back in the days of old, when Caliperfexion studs were still but a dream, there was a magical tool that made changing GT350 front pads pretty easy.

Bolts M14x2x180 - Brake Tools.jpg

They're 180 mm long M14x2 cap screws and they screw into the knuckle where the caliper bolts go. And, the best part is, they're 'way longer than the caliper bolts.

To use them, you remove one caliper bolt, screw in one of these guys about an inch, remove the other caliper bolt and screw in the second one. Then, as easy as can be, you slide the caliper out to the end of the bolts, change the pads, slide the caliper back into place and swap the factory bolts back in.

Brain dead simple.
We used to include them with our GT350 Pads LOL

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
If you watch the video there is a lot of compressed time and steps skipped. For instance the car is already on a lift, the wheels are instantaneously removed from the hubs, tools and parts are already in hand, the loctite is already applied to the caliper bolts, nothing got torqued, the wheels magically are back on the hubs, etc.

At a decent pace I would guess 1.5-2hrs tops. Too many times I have said I can get it done in X amount of time only to find out it's more like 2X.

You know for me it isn't the amount of time, but how much it is to spend on getting it done. I can put my car on jackstands within 30 minutes. I agree with your time assessment, especially when you want to do the job right.

Another reason I like doing this job myself, is I can inspect the other parts. Make sure bushings are OK, make sure nothing is broken or loose and not to mention to clean everything in there.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Another reason I like doing this job myself, is I can inspect the other parts.
Here we are just talking a pad replacement. Any more than an hour for the front is absurd. I say an hour is fair at a shop due to having to bring the car in, starting the paper work and getting it the air. After the job is finished the car has to come off the rack, parked and paper work completed.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If its not warranty work, you probably have a lot of better local options than the stealership. You’re paying out of pocket, so might as well give your money to a local business thats worth a damn.

A Ford dealership is not the last place I’d go (thats probably a chain store like Firestone or NTB), but its sure close.

OP
OP
RNDT38

RNDT38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'73 Corvette, '17 GT350 (H3851)
Well--
I took the video provided to the Ford dealer today. I had a meeting with the chief of maintenance and the shop foreman. They were a bit surprised at the easy demonstrated in the changing of the pads.
We agreed to 1.4 hours total for a dollar layout of $294. That may sound expensive, but it is a long way from the original quote of $840.

For those of us who are 77 years old, this seems like a bargain to me.

Thank you for all of the input.
Be safe out there.
Bob

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Well--
I took the video provided to the Ford dealer today. I had a meeting with the chief of maintenance and the shop foreman. They were a bit surprised at the easy demonstrated in the changing of the pads.
We agreed to 1.4 hours total for a dollar layout of $294. That may sound expensive, but it is a long way from the original quote of $840.

Be safe out there.
Bob
That sounds reasonable.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Well--

Be safe out there.
Bob

Good point.
Sponsored