Sponsored

Fix for loud metallic buzz from bell housing plate

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
It's quite amazing to me that this (just like the hood corrosion issue) is still an issue. The Tremec TR-3650 on the S197 GTs had the exact same issue, with the exact same fix. Astounding that Ford lets this crap get through.

JR
Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
The updated plate was used in the 2019 and 2020 models for new builds.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Dynamatt it or I saw a thread someplace where a person used a punch tool to make small indents in the plate, thereby changing its resonance frequency. Or get a new plate put in.
Well, that's kinda what I'm asking...what did you guys do to confirm that's what it was before going through all that?

orangegrower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - 2019 Aston Martin Vantage - 2019 Ranger Lariat
The updated plate was used in the 2019 and 2020 models for new builds.
I have a 2019 and looked at the plate months ago and thought I did not have the coated one. This latest thread reminded me to go out and dynomat my plate. But on further review it looks like I do have the updated coated plate. After looking at it carefully it looks like the coating is on the inside only which is hard to see. You can see through the small slot on the bottom that there is a coating on the inside of the plate.

20200227_140425.jpg
20200227_103739.jpg

AhuraPro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ahura
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I've been following numerous threads on this issue and to OPs point, the basic issue has to do with resonance (noise) from a unique motor. This member went the full monty and had a dealership pull his drivetrain, replace the clutch and flywheel and 2 block plates over 70 days.

The tech did find excess free play in the flywheel which they assumed creates the noise. Its possible that what they did stopped the noise, or the revised block plate, or correct torque specs on the block plate bolts, or a combination of all. At the end of the day, applying dynamat to reduce noise is the less invasive simpler solution.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Dynamat vs having your car ripped apart....

AhuraPro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ahura
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Installed 4”x 2” dynamat on a rattling rear cylinder block plate last week and it absolutely cured the issue.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Interesting thread. Subscribed. I have not heard this noise yet, but good to know what it is should I have it later.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Interesting thread. Subscribed. I have not heard this noise yet, but good to know what it is should I have it later.
Funny you just revived this thread…I just read it. I just now got the noise at 25K and 4.5 years later. Doing the fix soon.

Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I had originally done this using strips of lead tape for golf clubs. Worked but was a bit sloppy. Going to re-do this with some dynamatt now that I bought a big box for a project with my Lexus.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I had originally done this using strips of lead tape for golf clubs. Worked but was a bit sloppy. Going to re-do this with some dynamatt now that I bought a big box for a project with my Lexus.
Its all trial and error. Resonance can be a hard thing to track down. This particular part is problematic. I will extend to you the same offer I made to Galaxy. If you would like some dynamat, I have some left over. That offer is for you because you are a long time respected member. Let me know.

I don't think this problem warrants the teardown of the drivetrain to take care of a resonance issue. Let me know if I can help.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Its all trial and error. Resonance can be a hard thing to track down. This particular part is problematic. I will extend to you the same offer I made to Galaxy. If you would like some dynamat, I have some left over. That offer is for you because you are a long time respected member. Let me know.

I don't think this problem warrants the teardown of the drivetrain to take care of a resonance issue. Let me know if I can help.
I used the lead tape as an attempt to accomplish the same goal without buying dynamatt. Now that I have an entire box of the stuff for another project I'll use a sheet to re-do the Shelby while I have it up in the air this week converting over to the longer wheel studs up front.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
My 2’x2’ dynamat from Amazon was maybe $20 and got here today. Did the fix. Mine is so minor, if this does hardly anything, it’ll most likely take care of it. I agree with Tom…no way I’m taking this to a dealer to tear into it for that. No way.

And thanks again Tom…I had already ordered before you offered. All worked out. Super easy install.
Sponsored