Sponsored

First Oil Change?

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
The only real and true answer is change it whenever you want.

There is no evidence changing it at 1,000 or 3,000 or any number is beneficial versus 10,000 per the manual. Along those lines, there is no evidence that waiting to change until 10,000 per the manual is harmful at all. There is no evidence to the rumor that the initial oil is any type of special oil or anything. There is no consistent evidence that the first oil drained contains any harmful particulates or metal amounts at any reasonable mileage.

There's no evidence to any theory out there, other than at least stick to the manual recommendations (for warranty purposes and probably the longest you want to go without changing) and if you live in hot/humid change once a year (condensations etc).

If you want to pay for numerous unneeded extra oil change by all means. I will change mine in the fall as December will be 1 year in a hot humid climate. Only have 900 miles in 3 months, so I doubt I'll be over 5,000 miles.
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

There is no evidence changing it at 1,000 or 3,000 or any number is beneficial versus 10,000 per the manual. Along those lines, there is no evidence that waiting to change until 10,000 per the manual is harmful at all. There is no evidence to the rumor that the initial oil is any type of special oil or anything. There is no consistent evidence that the first oil drained contains any harmful particulates or metal amounts at any reasonable mileage.

There's no evidence to any theory out there, other than at least stick to the manual recommendations (for warranty purposes and probably the longest you want to go without changing) and if you live in hot/humid change once a year (condensations etc).

If you want to pay for numerous unneeded extra oil change by all means. I will change mine in the fall as December will be 1 year in a hot humid climate. Only have 900 miles in 3 months, so I doubt I'll be over 5,000 miles.
I assume you're not familiar with Blackstone and their oil testing? Folks on this very forum have posted report comparisons from the original oil vs. their first oil change oil. The changes between the oil characteristics certainly improved in many areas, including the ones you mentioned in the statement I bolded above.

Here is the thread.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17367&highlight=Blackstone

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT

To be honest, as an engineer I do agree with you. I have not seen any conclusive statistically significant data demonstrating a benefit of more frequent oil changes than what the in-car display or manual recommends. The Blackstone reports while somewhat useful, I assume would be greatly affected by block/model/brand/conditions etc and I doubt their early mileage test data has been regressed against engine longevity (it would be hard to do anyway)...

That said, I will change my oil around the 1500-2000 mile mark initially and thereafter at 5K or 1 year intervals with a good full synthetic oil. More for a 'feel good' factor as well as a mistrust of manufacturers intent to care about the long term reliability of the car (past the initial or initial + extended warranty period). Case in point, at one point BMW was recommending 15K intervals in their oil change for the BMW M6 V10 - this happened to coincide with their 'free maintenance' program. A lot of rod bearings were spun in this high rpm motor. BMW changed the oil recommendation as well as recommended a 1200 mile initial oil change. Not sure if it's all related, but it didn't help me build trust on the manufacturers recommendation. Additionally, BMW mostly cares about their lease buyers - who account for the majority of owners.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I assume you're not familiar with Blackstone and their oil testing? Folks on this very forum have posted report comparisons from the original oil vs. their first oil change oil. The changes between the oil characteristics certainly improved in many areas, including the ones you mentioned in the statement I bolded above.

Here is the thread.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17367&highlight=Blackstone
I've seen it. I haven't seen any data the levels are harmful though. Just like chlorine is in water but at a high enough level it is bad. What levels are bad? Do elevated levels damage or wear the engine more? We really don't know and it's not disclosed (or there i no black and white answer more likely).

Also of course every car runs differently which also varies based on driving habits too. We have no idea what driving conditions these levels were measured under. Track runs? Regular driving? hard throttling? City? Highway? It's just not enough date in my mind to make an educated decision

I'm a bit suspect when an oil manufacturer had the tests done, as to better their own cause to sell oil honestly. Like I said, it cannot hurt other than one's wallet, but I don't think it is per se necessary to change that early. I think 5,000 is a good average number for a first change personally, or within 1 year of purchase for lower mileage drivers. My point was there is no right answer, do what you feel is best for your car.

I'm only at 900 miles in 3 months. Even though the dealership threw in 1 free change, I will probably change it this fall, and still be at 3,000 miles or so, just because of time elapsed being in hot humid south Florida. I haven't seen compelling evidence to make me use the free change just to use it early yet.

Last edited:

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I'm going to change it between 1200 and 1500 miles + filter.
Contenders for oil are
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LEYIQ8/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER rotated with Shell T6 Rotella 5W-40.
Update - I reached out to LubroMoly - they said the oil is not recommended for the Mustang so no go there.

Rotella is mainly designed for diesel, I dont know enough about its characteristics to use it in the Mustang so no go there.

I read this thread and it looks like in the interim based on this I will use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30.

The Track pack and Boss 302's were recommended to run 5W-50 from the factory (while the regular GT was 5W-20) - I am assuming this is because of the higher temperatures they would face in the track and Ford increased the heat threshold for engine intervention/power reduction (so an ECU programming tweak). However, the engines (esp the track pack and non) were the same, so running a +20 grade oil can only give more of a margin of safety, all things equal. However, I havent researched a good 5W-50 oil (mobil one is prolly a good bet) but meanwhile, based on the study below it looks Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 does well so I will use it in my next oil change.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JMCCGDQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009IE2K34/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Sponsored

Chaos_Being

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Premium, 2006 Scion tC
I changed the oil and filter in my ecoboost last weekend at 1800 miles. I refilled with 5w-30 Mobil 1, and used a Motorcraft filter (I had actually planned on using a Purolator filter, but the auto store near me didn't have them. They did, however, have the correct OEM filter for cheap!)

As noted by some others on here, the stock fill definitely seemed a lot thinner than any 5w-30 I've ever used, and had a strong fuel smell. After seeing it drain out I was glad that I did an early change. After this I plan on doing my changes around every 5000 miles.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Just bought Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w20 and Motorcraft 500FLS filter today. Planning to change the oil at 2000 miles. Its had enough time to break in.

NVPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT PP
Just bought Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w20 and Motorcraft 500FLS filter today. Planning to change the oil at 2000 miles. Its had enough time to break in.
I did my first oil change at the dealer at 7200 miles. I have maintenance plan and warranty until 75000. They put the factory regular oil in there. Runs great.

5.0 Steve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
im going to change mine at 1,500 with some 5w30 mobil 1 extended with a factory filter.

Sponsored

sandpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Changed it today at 3000 miles. Went with Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic and a Motorcraft filter for my Ecoboost.
Changed it myself. First time I have been under a car in thirty years.
Next change in 5000 miles.

HETPE3B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pony
Manual shows 5w30 for EB, and 5w20 for V6 and V8. Synthetic blend or synthetic.
I don't see any advantages to use a blend (and never did use it in my life for any of the cars that I owned). So 5W20 is my choice for V8. Will change somewhere between 1000-1500mi.

m6pwr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Pkg,Recaros
With respect to "harmful wear metals" Blk2015Gt wrote
I haven't seen any data the levels are harmful though. Just like chlorine is in water but at a high enough level it is bad. What levels are bad? Do elevated levels damage or wear the engine more? We really don't know and it's not disclosed (or there i no black and white answer more likely).
What you are asking about is called a condemnation limit.

The oft repeated phrase "harmful wear metals" (plural) is a misnomer. There is only one wear metal in used oil that can in high concentrations cause damage to an engine: iron (from cylinder liners, cam shafts, etc.). High iron concentrations MAY cause abrasive wear of the softer metals in an engine, particularly copper (bearings and bushings) and lead (bearings).

The most widely used GENERIC condemnation limit for iron in a gasoline engine used oil analysis is 150 ppm. I have seen some oil analysis labs use as high as 300 ppm (Blackstone at one time). A very experienced lubrication engineer (Doug Hillary), who has worked for both Castrol and Mobil, once indicated in a thread on BITOG that some euro oem's use the 150 figure for their engines.

Getting back to first oil changes (the factory fill drain): I have never seen a factory drain uoa on BITOG, or on any of the Mustang forums, or any of the BMW forums and VW forums that I've been a member of, where the ppm iron is anywhere near 150 ppm. Tony Alonso ran his 2015 GT to 7500 mi before draining the factory fill (apparently that crappy old Motorcraft syn blend), and his iron was 58 ppm. http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=592635&postcount=161

Good for you, Tone!

I could post links to any number of industry studies and guides regarding the efficacy of extended oil change intervals with modern synthetics, but I doubt it would deter anyone from the profligate waste of perfectly good lubricants in totally unnecessary oil changes, all in the name of "peace of mind' or "cheap insurance".

ob1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Orville
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have 2k miles on my car so I called my dealer to get the oil changed and they said to wait until I have 5k on the car.
He said the factory puts an additive in for break in so I'll wait.
Sponsored