Sponsored

First Oil Change?

SpaceGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I had a 2008 M3. First oil service was required at 1200mi. I'll likely do that with the Mustang as well.
Sponsored

darth vader

Darth Vader
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT,2015 MustangGT,2017 GT350
Asking a sales person is the worse person for advise on your car see a mechanic they work on these cars give you better advise but bottom line your own preference is what counts I myself change my oil after the first 1000 miles.

Thinkn3D

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT/PP, 66 Fairlane XL390
990.2 miles and 91% life

dcspears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Magnetic
Just changed mine at 2889 miles and 63%oil life left.

Went to Mobil 1 Full Synth and Moto 500s.

No ticking noise, thankfully!

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
990.2 miles and 91% life

Looks like you are on track for the 10,000 mile oil change interval. :)

Changed the oil at 1500 miles to the Motorcraft Full Synth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
Just changed mine at 2889 miles and 63%oil life left.

Went to Mobil 1 Full Synth and Moto 500s.

No ticking noise, thankfully!
do u do a lot of city miles? im at 4000+ and i my oil life isnt that low yet.

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
I just changed my oil at 1800 miles. There were quite a bit of metal shavings and the oil was very dark. I did not feel like cutting my oil filter open to check out what it captured though.

TorkN8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Ingot Silver Auto W/3.55's
My first was at 500, i'll do it again at 1,500, once more at 3,000. From that point on I'll do it between every 3,000 to 5,000 depending on how hard I drive it.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
I always change oil/filter at the first 1,000 miles...then I change the oil filter at the 50% point for the oil. Modern synthetic oils tend to be remarkably stable for quite a while, but contaminants need to be removed more often.

Sponsored

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Last edited:

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Curious why you are going to run 40 or 50 weight oil?
Corrected - I meant 5W-40 for both oils (not 5W-50). For high rpm application, 20 wt shears down and thins out quickly, thats why racings oils are never 20 wt at the top end! Coyote is def a high rpm motor. European formulas of engine oils are generally 5W-40 as those engines have high rpm operation or are boosted (run high temperatures).

Most racers in HPDE, track, Auto-X (the serious ones) use 10-W50, 20W-50, 10W-60 (which I used in my BMW M6). Those are considered race oils and provide outstanding high rpm protection, when wear, temperatures and friction is the highest. Those oils have two issues though -
1) their low temperature wt means that they are thicker in cold operation, although unless you live in sub-zero temperatures it doesnt matter. But all things equal mean they theoretically provide less protection in cold starts.
2) they are racing oils so generally less to no detergents, meaning, varnishing wont be removed.

5W-40 is a good balance of cold performance while providing outstanding high rpm wear protection. Unlike the race oils, 5W-40 oils from Shell and Lubromoly (among others) also have high amounts of detergents. They are marketed as daily driving oils.

Unlike oils like 0W-50, the narrower range of 5W-40 means it generally more stable through its range.

I have not tested any of these assumptions above - they are based on conversations with racers, my experience and browsing bob the oil forum. LOL

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Corrected - I meant 5W-40 for both oils (not 5W-50). For high rpm application, 20 wt shears down and thins out quickly, thats why racings oils are never 20 wt at the top end! Coyote is def a high rpm motor. European formulas of engine oils are generally 5W-40 as those engines have high rpm operation or are boosted (run high temperatures).

Most racers in HPDE, track, Auto-X (the serious ones) use 10-W50, 20W-50, 10W-60 (which I used in my BMW M6). Those are considered race oils and provide outstanding high rpm protection, when wear, temperatures and friction is the highest. Those oils have two issues though -
1) their low temperature wt means that they are thicker in cold operation, although unless you live in sub-zero temperatures it doesnt matter. But all things equal mean they theoretically provide less protection in cold starts.
2) they are racing oils so generally less to no detergents, meaning, varnishing wont be removed.

5W-40 is a good balance of cold performance while providing outstanding high rpm wear protection. Unlike the race oils, 5W-40 oils from Shell and Lubromoly (among others) also have high amounts of detergents. They are marketed as daily driving oils.

Unlike oils like 0W-50, the narrower range of 5W-40 means it generally more stable through its range.

I have not tested any of these assumptions above - they are based on conversations with racers, my experience and browsing bob the oil forum. LOL
:lol:. I wasn't sure if you were going to race your GT or not. If you do, I under choosing those weights:D.

I am going to continue to run full synthetic 5W-20 unless I plan on a heavy track day weekend. I am really leaning towards switching from the Motorcraft full synthetic to Castrol Edge extreme performance with Titanium based on all the oil samples that have come back and info from Bob's oil forum.

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
:lol:. I wasn't sure if you were going to race your GT or not. If you do, I under choosing those weights:D.

I am going to continue to run full synthetic 5W-20 unless I plan on a heavy track day weekend. I am really leaning towards switching from the Motorcraft full synthetic to Castrol Edge extreme performance with Titanium based on all the oil samples that have come back and info from Bob's oil forum.
I am def going to be auto-x'ing and pushing the car hard (another reason why I am keeping the engine stock, not s/c'ing it).

Castrol Edge is good I'm sure - all these oils are pretty high grade compared to what was available 10 years ago. Picking a winner is really a matter of what aspects of the product marketing (including what people online say) appeal to you. UOA's need a lot of data to make a statistically significant analysis, ideally under controlled conditions or adjusted for similar motors etc - so take the data for what it's worth. LOL
Sponsored