Sponsored

First oil change, which oil do you recommend for EcoBoost?

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I just pulled the Motorcraft Semi-Synth 5w30 out and switched to Magnatec last weekend. 7,862 miles since the last oil change, and drained exactly 6 quarts out of the pan. There were no metal bits in the bottom of the drain pan like I always had with my SRT and G8 GT. So I have absolutely no complaints about the MC oil, but I definitely feel like it was a little thin when it came out.

Doing some research on BITOG about different oils, Magnatec and PUP both come with a lot of recommendations, as well as very good looking oil analysis results. Magnatec definitely pours a slight bit heavier than Motorcraft does, so we will see how it holds up. I plan on taking Magnatec to around 8k miles as well, so it will be interesting to see if any make-up oil is required with the new stuff.

Banjo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP manual
I did my first change at 500 miles and again at 5000 miles with Motorcraft semi synth 5w-30. At 10K I did 2-3 quarts Motul Xcess 5w-40 I had left over from a previous car and the remainder with Shell T6 5w-40. I changed again at 16K miles with Shell T6 5w-40. I am currently at 18k. I have not noticed any drop in oil during or between changes. I am going to let this fill go between 5K & 7.5K and will get an oil analysis which will likely determine if I keep with the Shell T6 or not. I do live in Florida so I get to operating temps pretty quickly all but a couple of months out of the year.

I kept with the semi synth in the beginning because it is my understanding that full synthetic is not good for ring seating but that could be outdated or plain out wrong information.

Banjo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP manual
Also I've heard hints that calcium is bad for LSPI and Shell T6 has low calcium ie ~750 parts vs some of the other in the ~2500 range.

KV Racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP
As long as the oil meets the specified recommendations, choosing an oil is personal preference. I run Royal Purple because I like it. I've seen how good the bearings in my racecar look when I use it. Just like I wont run Pennzoil in anything. Maybe it has changed over the years and is the best oil on the market, but I've seen some nasty crap come out of the oil pans of cars using Pennzoil that I didnt see with other oil brands. And you know what they say about teaching an old dog new tricks....well, I'm that old dog. :)

Sponsored

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Lightning Blue

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
.I kept with the semi synth in the beginning because it is my understanding that full synthetic is not good for ring seating but that could be outdated or plain out wrong information.
Definitely not the case, as there are quite a few performance cars that come Factory filled with synthetic oil.
Sponsored