OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
MOTEC employs what many stand alone's term a "3 Step" where you can set the first two stages as everyone is familiar. Using the FORD architecture, you activate the launch control that holds the motor at the desired/set rpm and after a post launch metric is triggered, it transitions back to the "normal" tuning functions.

A 3rd step is employed where you can limit both RPM by speed and throttle angle (which in turn limits torque production). As you can see from the base/initial settings, you can tune in an initial hit, a dip and then a controlled ramp out of the dig, (rather than just an initial hit and then spin city immediately following). It's a nifty aid for the driver rather than having to feather the accelerator and/or the clutch (for 3 Peddle Club), the driver can focus attention on other elements of the run.

MOTEC 3 Stage RPM limit 15 November 2023.png
MOTEC 3 Stage Throttle Limit Table 15 November 2023.png

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I am considering standalone next, unfortunately motec isn't offered for gen3. Seems fueltech is the answer. Traction control that works was one of the main reasons I was considering it.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I am considering standalone next, unfortunately motec isn't offered for gen3. Seems fueltech is the answer. Traction control that works was one of the main reasons I was considering it.
I think MOTEC is in the works for a new ECU that will have enough capacity to handle 16 injectors, but you'd have to speak with them. The most expensive parts of the MOTEC (the part you pay dearly for) are the firmware and the wiring harness/jumper. The firmware is unique because it integrates into the factory CANBUS system so you don't end up with a secondary display and all/most of your factory functions still exist and work (drive modes, cruise control, infotainment, A/C, power components like steering). It costs a bloody fortune, but it's the only one on the market that works integrated with the factory setup. A few of the other stand alones have many/most of the same features and benefits in terms of launch, rev matching, anti-lag, engine protections, traction control, ECU flexibility, etc).

The part that's a real kick in the dick is the harness. MOTEC almost overdoes it for the harness and you pay dearly for it.

My previous tuner and I spent an entire afternoon trying to get the idle as good as we could (which is way challenging for a car with big injectors, a ginormous throttle body, etc). Now it idles beautifully. The Ford ECU is very slick and capable at OE levels but once you start getting really wild, certain drivability and manners aspects start to suffer. Car drives and behaves like a dream now (but in my old tuner's defense, the MOTEC just allows for much more appropriate control and flexibility to fix certain things, reference multiple signals for the same controls, etc). For instance, we can draw speedo from the wheel system or the trans VSS or infer it from gear and rpm if we'd like. Huge flexibility when running an aftermarket trans like the Magnum XL (rather than having to use a Bowler box or similar).

The traction control strategies are simply light years ahead of what Ford employed. In fairness to Ford, can't be sure how much attorneys were involved from a risk perspective, but Ford simply created a bandaid traction control, which isn't just dangerous, it's so bad that most people attempt to turn it off (which isn't even simple, the only way you can TOTALLY remove all elements of the Ford system is to disconnect the dyno plug and deal with a MIL). With motec, my traction control toggle TOTALLY removes any/all traction (no holding it down and even then having remnants of advance track hanging around). Then by mode it can adjust the wheel slip by first using timing, then if that's not enough it can adjust the throttle, then if that's not enough it can cut engine ignition (which is largely what Ford does). Not only is the MOTEC strategy more sophisticated, it's PROACTIVE (meaning the settings and tables are already setup to keep you in the middle of the fairway to begin). Ford is reactive, it waits for you to get into trouble and then by the time you're way over torqued and spinning it totally shuts down the party. Making it behave unexpectedly, which is why most guys just turn it off. The MOTEC setup is BEAUTIFUL. And I can make changes ON THE FLY. No retune or long reflashes. I can literally adjust the traction control settings in a few seconds if the conditions aren't optimal or are better than tabled. I can switch from one traction slip aim to another seamlessly.

With MOTEC you get the world, it's incredible. But you also pay outrageously for it. So it's kinda neutral value. You get A LOT. But you pay A LOT.

Sponsored

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Thanks, the shop I use prefers motec. It would be nice if they end up with something for the gen3.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Thanks, the shop I use prefers motec. It would be nice if they end up with something for the gen3.
If they don't accommodate the DI, You could pursue/ask them to just use the GENII package and get rid of the DI system. But that kinda defeats a lot of the purpose/reason to spend so much with MOTEC. Speak with them, my new tuner seemed to be under the impression they are working on a Gen3 package, but can you imagine how much more complex the firmware setup would be (adding in several entirely new fields/inputs to the whole mix)?

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Well I already deleted the DI, might work

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
One of the few drawbacks, is that the package comes with the standard "Ford" FORSCAN build, so all the time and money I spent updating my FORSCAN build with Hextall for the Syn3 swap (which included turning off the vehicle engine sound nonsense and changing the chime tone volume, etc) is reverted back to "stock." But I did pick up some features I didn't have before (I have the big screen bezel with the toggle switches and now they work because I'm on that FORSCAN build).

We're also sorting through some of the steering feel by mode stuff. Steering is way heavy now. Trying to clean that up.

We haven't even begun to talk about the benefits of motor protection. Because I have a flex fuel sensor (and true flex fuel now with a PD blower) and a fuel pressure sensor, we have all sorts of motor protections in place for things like oil pressure, fuel pressure, fuel pump duty, etc. Basically if the car loses any crucial system, it knows instantly and mutes the party so I don't smoke my motor. There's a bunch of others, but those are the highlight items.

Oh, and I lost my NGauge (major sad face). The OBD port is a street to nowehere now:) I loved having gauge monitoring of a several items (knock, IAT2, AFR, spark timing, short term fuel trims, etc) but that's gone. Good news is that the MOTEC is doing all that for me now and I just setup the limits/thresholds in the package/tune so I don't have to keep a constant eye on things.

Having the ability to run pure 93 on a car that makes 19 psi through a whipple is a big benefit. I have E85 readily available where I live but if I travel to other parts of the state it gets stressful for long crossings and a hassle with constantly filling up on long trips. If I want to go from here to Bradenton, there's a 120 mile crossing I have to do. Now, I can drive how I want and not worry, if I get into a jam, I just fill it up with 93 and take it easy until I find an E85 station.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Well I already deleted the DI, might work
I know they have a 6R80 package and obviously they have the manual packages, not sure about the 10 speed though (and obviously they have the DCT package). That might be another obstacle.

Sponsored

baevid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Does Motec make any PNP kit for 6R80 yet?

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Does Motec make any PNP kit for 6R80 yet?
I believe they have a package for the Gen2 (15-17) with 6R80, but I think they're trying to update that to make the harness part more affordable (that's what my tuner indicated). Again, reach out to them, I know they have a gen2 6R80 package. But they might be in the works to make it more affordable.

Part of the challenge in the firmware is that it totally replaces the Ford computers, so it's not just about managing the power train, the packages have to match all the other systems of the car (every single driver button, interaction, etc). So the A/C controls, steering controls, driver modes, all that stuff is meant to be a perfect migration over to MOTEC.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I need to update my signature, also th400 now.
Yeah, you could speak with them, but I'm pretty sure they have nothing for a T400 setup for our cars. The other viable options are probably going to be Fueltech or Holley Dominator. You could go with Halltech, but you'd probably be trailblazing.

baevid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'll reach out to them to see what's up. I had asked Real Street Performance like 1-2 years ago and at that time, it was all custom harnesses and nothing plug n play yet. Have mostly been interested in the traction control strategies.

Who is your tuner?
Sponsored