EV's.......... πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Small portion of drivers burn up one-third of America's gasoline β€” and some states are incentivizing them to switch to EVs (msn.com)

Hello; An odd and likely unrealistic take on fuel use and salvation from EV's. Seems folks who drive trucks and the like a lot of miles a year are targets. I get the premise; trucks are heavy and often haul or tow heavy stuff so use more fuel. The target folks are those who use such vehicles for jobs in communities. Plumbers, electricians, farmers, delivery, home improvement contractors, roofers and many more. The link also targets rural truck drivers to a degree.
OK, I get it. Switch these drivers to EV's and they will consume less fossil fuels. Short sighted notion I contend. Partly because the "fuel" which runs EV's (electricity) is largely generated from coal, oil or natural gas currently. A cart before the horse idea.
Unrealistic because heavy duty EV's are not up to the task in rural settings. May work in a city with short driving distances. I live in a rural area. Did a search for public chargers a while back. Closest were around Knoxville TN about 50+ miles away.
Say plenty of chargers pop up tomorrow. How many hours a week will these trucks be charging? We know by now an EV pickup runs out of juice quickly when used as a work truck. Might be that getting to one job will use up a charge. Likely will be the electrician or plumber with 3/4 ton or ton trucks loaded with all their tools and equipment will have to limit the distance they can go to a job and also have enough juice to get back. Will be even worse in the winter around here.
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
But the EPA is gonna try their damdest to use the power of govt dictat to force you to comply. It's like they think they are in the USSR. The SC has bitch slapped them twice already. I guess they need a few more times before it starts to make an impression. Or not. Likely not.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Small portion of drivers burn up one-third of America's gasoline β€” and some states are incentivizing them to switch to EVs (msn.com)

Hello; An odd and likely unrealistic take on fuel use and salvation from EV's. Seems folks who drive trucks and the like a lot of miles a year are targets. I get the premise; trucks are heavy and often haul or tow heavy stuff so use more fuel. The target folks are those who use such vehicles for jobs in communities. Plumbers, electricians, farmers, delivery, home improvement contractors, roofers and many more. The link also targets rural truck drivers to a degree.
OK, I get it. Switch these drivers to EV's and they will consume less fossil fuels. Short sighted notion I contend. Partly because the "fuel" which runs EV's (electricity) is largely generated from coal, oil or natural gas currently. A cart before the horse idea.
Unrealistic because heavy duty EV's are not up to the task in rural settings. May work in a city with short driving distances. I live in a rural area. Did a search for public chargers a while back. Closest were around Knoxville TN about 50+ miles away.
Say plenty of chargers pop up tomorrow. How many hours a week will these trucks be charging? We know by now an EV pickup runs out of juice quickly when used as a work truck. Might be that getting to one job will use up a charge. Likely will be the electrician or plumber with 3/4 ton or ton trucks loaded with all their tools and equipment will have to limit the distance they can go to a job and also have enough juice to get back. Will be even worse in the winter around here.
Hello; Here is an article trying hard to put lipstick on the pig.

There's A Serious Problem With Electric Pickup Trucks, New AAA Study Finds (msn.com)

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Just wanted to mention how proud I am for NOT starting a rumor that Tesla "white interior" use elephant ivory for the dash trim.

I have some ivory pistol/revolver grips and I'd wager the vast majority of the population couldn't detect the difference.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure it was humanely harvested, organic free range elephant ivory. I've seen pics where they bury them in the ground the size of your thumb and after a while they grow 9ft long. The curve is because of the prevailing winds.

I've never figured out why we don't offer the family of the deceased the opportunity to make $$$ selling the human bones as homo sapien ivory. Wouldn't you want grandma there with you in the dash to rub your finger across?

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Retiree's Tesla Model S hits 1.24 million miles with 14 engines (msn.com)

Hello; After reading I do not find this milestone impressive. The 14 engines are bad enough but four battery packs?
The impressive ICE million mile cars that count use only one engine. But I am biased I guess.
That works out to about 170k miles per pair of motors. Better than some cars I've owned, but not super impressive. The 4 battery packs kind of sucks. All together, about $130k in cost for motors and batteries.

Last edited:

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
That works out to about 170k miles per pair of motors. Better than some cars I've owned, but not super impressive. The 4 battery packs kind of sucks. All together, about $130k in cost for motors and batteries.
Hello; The motors are just that electric motors and not ICE. I get this is a single example so not a trend. I know of ICE engines into the 300,000 mile range. My neighbor has a ford F-150 at such mileage.
The hype so far is the electric motors in EV's are better than an ICE.

The four battery packs do indeed suck.

A question unlikely to be answered might be how the environmental impact of a similar ICE might compare at a million miles.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I do not understand what this is supposed to mean.
Hello; Although not strictly adhered to the term motor is usually for things powered by something other than combustion of some volatile compound. Electricity, vacuum and air pressure being examples.
The term engine is usually reserved for a combustion powered device. Fuels such as gasoline, diesel, natural gas, coal and even wood.

I figure there are grey areas and this is a minor side point.

The hype in part surrounding EV's is that the electric motors last better and require less, even no maintenance, than an ICE. I have a friend with a 2002 Jetta Diesel at or past 400,000 miles. That this "record" EV broke or wore out 14 motors is telling.

I do not find this milestone impressive. The 14 engines are bad enough but four battery packs?
Hello; I see that I broke the motor -engine convention in my earlier post. My bad.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I find the idea of replacing a pair of electric motors every 170k miles and a battery pack every 300k miles to be undesirable. But, most vehicles will never see 200k miles.

On the other hand, while many larger displacement NA engines will certainly last beyond 200k, the emphasis is now on small displacement turbo engines and they don't last and aren't cheap to replace. I've owned several, so I'm not guessing.

In addition, we don't know if the other maintenance costs favor EV or ICE vehicles, over time. The claimed weight penalty of EVs is overstated. A Tesla Model 3 weighs the same as a Mustang.

One more consideration... most people buy SUVs and large pickup trucks now.

That was an interesting article, but there are not any conclusions you can draw from it. I am NOT in favor of EVs. I see the potential, but not in the current environment or state of technology.
Sponsored