EV's.......... ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hereโ€™s an interesting concept, wireless charging roads. A lot of unknowns yet and years/decades before it could even become viable, but interesting indeed.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a46010218/wireless-ev-charging-roads-detroit/
Hello; After reading the link I am wondering if this is a potential solution to a problem we do not have or perhaps another high-tech feature being done just because it can be done?

I get the potential convenience of wireless charging. Not sure i get the charm of such being built into roads for use while driving. First question that came to mind is how much energy/charge can be had from this. I figure it cannot be like a subway train with enough energy to propel the vehicle along.
Also figure the vehicle needs to be going very slow or stopped to be effective. Twist the scenario a bit. Why not put this tech in parking lots where the EV will be stationary for a time?

Then there is the cost. Maybe someday the cost per individual vehicle might be down to $1,500 borne by the owner I suppose. Perhaps a subsidy or tax break? Has to cost a lot to install the system into the road bed as well.

Next thought is this is a clever way to tap into the massive funds made available for the push of EV's and "green energy". Write up a proposal to build a test site using some of those funds. Color me skeptical, I guess. I have already seen some of these "green" type start-ups and similar things go bankrupt.

Last thought for now. I wonder if it will be a two-way charge thing similar to a feature being pushed/mandated for all EV's. The commercial of an F-150 Lightning being used to power a house has a deeper implication. In a separate thread on this site we found out about a plan to use privately owned BEV's and grid backup.
The idea is because "green energy" will be largely from wind and solar there will be times when neither can be had. So, some sort of energy storage must be had. I happen to like the idea of giant flywheels being spun up during excess power times and then using the kinetic energy to generate when needed. There are other ideas. But one idea is to turn all the privately owned BEV's as grid backup. The idea seems to be with hundreds, thousands or tens of thousands of EV's plugged in to the grid that during a time of need some energy can be pulled from the EV's battery packs to power the grid. The logic works if all EV's must have the required circuity. I object to this idea on less than noble grounds. I would no more want some government agency to be able to come siphon fuel from my gas tank than to have them siphon out electric energy charge I have paid for. Even if the plan allows for payment. In an emergency I may need the "fuel" in my vehicle.
But I can see how such a plan can work with electricity.

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT/CS
Hate to tell you, but EVs are coming whether you like it or not. It has nothing to do with what hte market wants. Cali has banned ICE starting 2035 for new cars. Several places in the EU have done the same.

California, specifically CARB, has been given defacto authority to dictate emissions. If CARB has gone that way, the rest of the US will follow. And with the EU on the same path, large markets will adjust.

Sorry, but EVs are going to be the future unless some MASSIVE regulatory change happens, and production moves to China/India/etc...you get the idea.

Just to be clear. I dispise EVs. But what the market wants is not what the rules will allow. And the market will blink, just like it did in the late 70s.
From each according to their ability, To each according to their needs.

And the govt. gets to decide what each of us need.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Researchers make game-changing discovery after pulverizing EV batteries: โ€˜Extended the lifespan by 30%โ€™ (msn.com)
Hello; Of the more serious issues with an EV are the need for rare materials and the environmental damage caused from mining and recycling to get these minerals. The recycling method described in the link appears will help both issues and also appears to throw in a bonus.

Seems grinding up battery parts, lithium containing anodes, causes less pollution during recycling than a more common method of high heat. Claim seems to be that both more lithium is recovered and at a higher quality (less contamination).

Neither this recycling method nor any recycling method will slow mining and recovery of raw ores for a long time to come if the dream scenario of an all-EV future actually comes about. While I have doubts such will ever happen it will be good to have a cleaner and more efficient recycling method in use.

The bonus appears to be that a better-quality lithium anode extends the battery life. Hope this proves to be true. If true this should reduce the need for raw materials to be mined as well eventually.

Note- I understand the Green energy +BEV zelots look at anyone who says a negative thing about either green and /or EV's with distain. They consider us as flawed people who do not care about the environment. Falsely contending that I and others want to choke the world with clouds of ICE combustion byproducts.
Not the case. I want both ICE and EV or any other transport +energy systems to be as clean as is possible. A thing is I also want these things to work well as a functioning energy and transport system is necessary for us to remain alive.
There are way too many unanswered questions regarding both EV's and green energy.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Ought to be a test case for EV trucks.
I wonder how much extra it will cost to deliver the goods. This is creating another layer for the delivery company.
Lots of advancements in battery technology too (sodium and solid state batteries) and new methods of extracting lithium from the Salton Sea, with little environmental impact and enough lithium for 350 million batteries.
It won't matter how good the battery is, you still have to fill it

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
It won't matter how good the battery is, you still have to fill it
Hello; So very true. If by some very fortunate happenstance the problems with EV range, battery raw materials, recycling, charger access + reliability and more were fixed next week, the issue of how to generate the energy to charge an all EV fleet would remain.

Had a thought. Could solar panels be added to wind turbines? Say on those massive blades or on the massive towers? The lines to carry the juice from the wind turbine will already be in place. Maybe the offshore wind farms could have floating solar panel farms attached to the base of a big tower?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
When I can buy an electric car that can go 500 miles then we can talk but until then no thanks
Hello; A word of caution. The narrow-minded EV zealots can probably do that currently. They, so far, are increasing rang by adding bigger battery packs to increase range. While this approach does theoretically increase range it also adds great expense. More battery cells cost more. Will weigh a great deal more and be more expensive to replace if that need arises.

I say theoretically because best as i can gather the useable percentage of charge needs to be limited to help improve battery long term life. Only charge to 80% of full capacity is recommended to improve battery life.
Only discharge to some similar level to prevent problems. Maybe 10 to 20%, I do not recall. I have an issue of Motor Trend in which they write about running an EV battery all the way down. After they did so the EV would not take a charge. Had to be towed to a dealer and have extensive repairs.
My thinking is in order to have a decent battery life we will need to only use maybe 60% of total capacity. So, 60% of 500 miles may be 300 miles. I presume without knowing for sure an EV with advertised 300-mile range may wind up with around 180 useful miles if you hope to have a longer battery life????

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I presume without knowing for sure an EV with advertised 300-mile range may wind up with around 180 useful miles if you hope to have a longer battery life????
This is what my buddy who had a Tesla go into BBQ mode told me. I also think Tesla and other's are being sued due to the cars not having the range advertised.

Sponsored

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
To be IF they want us to drive American cars invest in charging stations and building up our grid!!

Maybe I am backwards but to be its like pushing gas cars before they have enough gas :)

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Hello; So very true. If by some very fortunate happenstance the problems with EV range, battery raw materials, recycling, charger access + reliability and more were fixed next week, the issue of how to generate the energy to charge an all EV fleet would remain.
That's only an issue if the govt makes it one. Utilities make money selling electricity. Unless forbidden, they will build out what they need to provide all the electricity customers will buy. And since many/most existing utilities have significant excess capacity some hours of the day, they can practically give the stuff away during those times. I pay 7 cents per KWH to charge my EV off peak but around 3 times that amount in other hours. Supply and demand: Raise the peak time rates enough to drive loads that can be done any time into the times of excess capacity.

However, while there does not need to be any future shortage of electricity (I exclude govt stupidity as a NEED), it's likely that govt will create a shortage and/or cause the price of electricity to rise significantly with stupid regulations, etc. with or without EVs.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
To be IF they want us to drive American cars invest in charging stations and building up our grid!!

Maybe I am backwards but to be its like pushing gas cars before they have enough gas :)
Absolutely. May be one of the stupidest policy ever.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The current group in charge are shutting down power stations.
We consider Dinosaurs to have been quite stupid. But at least they didn't aim that asteroid at themselves.
Sponsored