Sponsored

Everyday Driver GT350 vs Boss 302

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Anyone that says the 12/13 B302/LS is better than a 350TrP/TeP/R has been smoking pompass grass.

I've owned both... I loved my Green Goblin (13 B302), but there's a night n day difference betwixt the two and the 350 is far superior in nearly every way. Weight to me is negligible between the two as the weight on the 350 is in better components and an IRS.

The application of power in a curve in my R, in comparison to my B302, is linear and predictable... In the Boss, I had to worry sometimes if the SRA was gonna light up in the middle of the turn.

The docile road manner of both cars for what they're capable of is on par... The straight line performance still goes to the 350 IMHO, and the comfort for what I have in the R is a little more harsh over bumps but again, more predictable cause now I feel everything and don't get a hopping rear as I did with the Boss.

As for NVH... The 350 hands down has much less road noise, and that's with the sport cups. I was so over the B302 when I got the R that I sold it.

jonesd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350
Loved the written review and the video comparison. Will certainly check out your website for other car reviews in the future!

fuhrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Focus RS, Raptor
I love them both but the 350 really is on a whole different level.

Sponsored

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
The Recaros in the 350 are tighter fit in the rib area then a 13 boss. Really too tight for me. Anyone else notice this that have owned both ?
The best "my mustang is the best mustang"was a hoot. I watched the Vette one also . People sure put a lot of shit on their cars to be different OR NUTS !!!

Last edited:

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
You forgot to add bumps on a road.

So you have a GT350 and now you're turning it into a 1/4 mile car? lol :crazy:
I wouldnt waste my money on a gt350. Its a wonderful car but i can have more cubes (5 2) cheaper. Also dont need/want a fpc. But everyone knows historicallythe gt350 is for corners. I was only stating a lot of people still dont want irs in their mustangs. I am one of those people.

It's also true if you care about over all ride quality, chassis stability, etc

I'm glad Ford finally decided to join the rest of the automotive world and put a proper suspension on a sports oriented car.
Quality and chassis stability is subjective. Not everyone wants a mustang for going after corners. :cheers: i personally prefer the boss but think the gt350 looks better.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Not at all subjective, the only time the two are comparable is a perfectly smooth straight road. Once you add real word roads with bumps, pot holes, crevices, turns, curbs, etc and the SRA is simply no match for the IRS

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Thank you for the great article and based on my experience with both cars you article was pretty spot on.

I am very fortunate to still own 3 Boss 302's two of which are LS cars and I just love these cars to death. My other PW Boss toured the NASCAR Xperience Tour back in 2011 as a display car and attended 16 races that year. I have owned and driven a lot of Boss 302 cars and this car is certainly the quickest of the bunch. I also am fortunate to own a GT350 and a GT350R and everything that has been said about these outstanding vehicles is spot on.

We must all remember that "Project 747" was started way back in 2009 with preproduction Boss 302 cars being assembled in the late summer and early fall of 2010. Two of my Boss 302 cars were in fact built back in 2010 and to say that these Mustangs were outstanding 6 years ago was an understatement. I can still remember my first encounter driving a 2012 Boss 302 compared to the '69 Boss 302 that a buddy and I drove was hard to imagine.

With all due respect trying to compare a new generation Boss 302 car with a new generation GT350 really is not a fair comparison. The technology used in the GT350 is at least 4 years newer than the Boss 302 therefore it should be a no contest and it is.

Having both models of Mustangs in my stable is an absolute thrill and I count my blessings every day.

There is no question that the GT350 is a superior vehicle to the Boss 302 in many ways but I just love them both and would not trade either model.

Thanks for a great article on two outstanding new generation Mustangs!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Not at all subjective, the only time the two are comparable is a perfectly smooth straight road. Once you add real word roads with bumps, pot holes, crevices, turns, curbs, etc and the SRA is simply no match for the IRS
What is a good ride is subjective and what someone does with the car matters. Irs is not a clear winner to everyone. To some its inferior. That isnt opinion, that is fact. Preferred ride quality is 100% subjective. Just because you dont like sra on the street doesnt mean others dont prefer it.

Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm not talking about user preference, I'm talking about actual chassis dynamics, things you can measure. Ford has done a great job making the SRA work well for decades, but there is simply no way to compare the two when it comes to real world performance.

Just because some old school guys like the feeling of the rear end bouncing around doesn't mean it's better in any way, it just means they prefer an inferior setup because they have grown to enjoy it as is.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I'm not talking about user preference, I'm talking about actual chassis dynamics, things you can measure. Ford has done a great job making the SRA work well for decades, but there is simply no way to compare the two when it comes to real world performance.

Just because some old school guys like the feeling of the rear end bouncing around doesn't mean it's better in any way, it just means they prefer an inferior setup because they have grown to enjoy it as is.
Like i said it depends what you want to do with the car. The irs is inferior even on the "street" in certain applications. There is zero to debate here. I drag and street race, the irs is inferior for my application. You like corners and care about other things. Irs is superior for your application. There is also some that have their sra set up very well and have zero issues with the things you find important. Go ride in a griggs equipped s197 with any gr40 kit and it will either run you down or stay on your ass pending on package. Sra isnt quite as inferior as you feel. While drag racing is my passion im not new to road courses either, with just under 500hrs in my belt.

bretlasalle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R
[MENTION=7852]Phattyhales[/MENTION]

It was a pleasure to meet you, Todd & Paul. What a quality team you all are. That weekend is one I will not soon forget. The video came out great and your write-up is top notch. The photos are incredible, you have a gift my friend. Please don't ever hesitate to reach out when you're in my neck of the woods!

Forum members/viewers - don't forget to check out the Everyday Driver podcast, it's a great one for car people and one of the few that is wife/kid friendly!

OP
OP

Phattyhales

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang
Thank you for the great article and based on my experience with both cars you article was pretty spot on.

I am very fortunate to still own 3 Boss 302's two of which are LS cars and I just love these cars to death. My other PW Boss toured the NASCAR Xperience Tour back in 2011 as a display car and attended 16 races that year. I have owned and driven a lot of Boss 302 cars and this car is certainly the quickest of the bunch. I also am fortunate to own a GT350 and a GT350R and everything that has been said about these outstanding vehicles is spot on.

We must all remember that "Project 747" was started way back in 2009 with preproduction Boss 302 cars being assembled in the late summer and early fall of 2010. Two of my Boss 302 cars were in fact built back in 2010 and to say that these Mustangs were outstanding 6 years ago was an understatement. I can still remember my first encounter driving a 2012 Boss 302 compared to the '69 Boss 302 that a buddy and I drove was hard to imagine.

With all due respect trying to compare a new generation Boss 302 car with a new generation GT350 really is not a fair comparison. The technology used in the GT350 is at least 4 years newer than the Boss 302 therefore it should be a no contest and it is.

Having both models of Mustangs in my stable is an absolute thrill and I count my blessings every day.

There is no question that the GT350 is a superior vehicle to the Boss 302 in many ways but I just love them both and would not trade either model.

Thanks for a great article on two outstanding new generation Mustangs!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm jealous of your garage. I will one day own one for myself. My 67 Coupe will have to do for now. And I must say, we weren't truly comparing the tow cars. The Boss was present more for a reference of where the previous track-ready Mustang was and to see how far it has come. Both cars are incredible. The Boss feels more old school. It dances around and really keeps you on your toes despite being so sorted. The Shelby is worlds ahead. It is better in pretty much every way.

I understand the argument people make about IRS vs SRA. They each have a purpose. And doesn't Ford Performance offer a SRA kit? No it isn't cheap but it is available for those who really care. That said, there is a reason why there are very few cars that use SRAs anymore. I can't think of a single new car that has one off the top of my head.

[MENTION=7852]Phattyhales[/MENTION]

It was a pleasure to meet you, Todd & Paul. What a quality team you all are. That weekend is one I will not soon forget. The video came out great and your write-up is top notch. The photos are incredible, you have a gift my friend. Please don't ever hesitate to reach out when you're in my neck of the woods!

Forum members/viewers - don't forget to check out the Everyday Driver podcast, it's a great one for car people and one of the few that is wife/kid friendly!
It was great meeting you as well! We couldn't have done this without you!

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
And I must say, we weren't truly comparing the tow cars. The Boss was present more for a reference of where the previous track-ready Mustang was and to see how far it has come.

I appreciate your feedback with respect to not so much about comparing these great cars themselves as much as how far Ford has brought Mustang forward on many aspects (mechanically and design) over the last 3 or 4 years especially on the high performance Boss 302 and GT350.

Thinking of your '67 coupe which is a terrific car just a short story as on a walk tonight with my wife we happened to walk by one of our neighbors who started working for Ford way back in 1965 and soon after he was hired on at Ford he was not asked but told to sell his Chevy if he wanted to stay employed at Ford so he complied and bought a '65 Mustang coupe which is just a couple of years younger than your '67. Certainly couldn't get away with that today but back 51 years ago the rules were different and in some cases right or wrong certainly much simpler just like Mustang itself back then.

During our conversation tonight he said that he has come to the point of where he is selling his one owner Mustang and I can't imagine what it must feel like to let it go after all these years. It is not a K code or a base 289 but
a 6 cylinder 3 speed but just the same I am sure that this Mustang has a lot of stories and memories for my friend and neighbor. Sad to hear this sort of story but certainly time for a new chapter for this '65 Pony.

:ford:
Sponsored