Sponsored

Enhance Your EcoBoost Exhaust! Mishimoto Cat-Back Exhaust R&D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
A new EB project is in the works here at Mishimoto! Follow the progress of this component on our blog or posted within this thread!

http://engineering.mishimoto.com/category/ford-mustang-ecoboost-cat-back-exhaust-2015/

Enhance Your EcoBoost Exhaust! Cat-Back Development, Part 1: Stock Exhaust and Initial Fabrication

If you follow any of the product development going on here at Mishimoto, you should have noticed our recent concentration on the Ford Mustang EcoBoost. So far we’ve developed, tested, and perfected a variety of awesome new components, including the list below.

The next target on our list will help your EcoBoost breathe a little easier, in the form of a larger-diameter and better-flowing cat-back exhaust. This is especially helpful for vehicles with aftermarket tuning packages. Combined with our 3” downpipe that is being developed, the exhaust system will provide the necessary flow for very high power goals, not to mention the sound you can expect with a larger system!

Stock Exhaust

The stock exhaust is what you would normally expect in a new vehicle. The smaller diameter piping, resonator, and mufflers all work to limit noise and in doing so numb the driving experience of your brand new sports car. An upgraded exhaust can add power but will also make a big impact on the overall experience of owning your Mustang. We wanted this exhaust to be refined, yet provide a more enthusiasts’ based raw sound at wide open throttle. At cruising speeds, we would be shooting for a system with no drone. Quite a task we have ahead of us, so let’s get going.

Stock EcoBoost exhaust system

Above is a look at the stock system removed. The piping starts as a single entry, dual-exit resonator at the center of the vehicle just after the downpipe connection. After the resonator, a dual-exhaust pipe setup runs back to two single-entry, single-exit mufflers. Four exhaust hangers support this system on the vehicle and provide isolation via rubber mounts for movement. Exhaust piping diameter measures 2.25” for the stock system.

A close-up of the muffler and resonator are both shown below.

Stock EcoBoost muffler

Stock EcoBoost resonator

Check out a shot showing this system installed.

Stock EcoBoost exhaust system installed

Here’s a look at the space remaining once the stock system is out of our way!

Stock EcoBoost exhaust system removed

First Prototype Fabrication

With the stock system removed, we began fabricating our exhaust. We selected 2.5” diameter piping and would be designing a system that emulates the stock configuration in terms of a center-mounted resonator and dual mufflers at the rear of the system.

We started with the front section that attaches to the downpipe. We began by designing a pipe that mated to the stock downpipe diameter and quickly enlarged to our planned 2.5” diameter.

Mishimoto exhaust fabrication

After the front portion was complete and we had selected a location for our mid-muffler, we began working back to the second muffler. We would be creating mirrored piping to keep the system identical on both sides.
A few precise cuts were made for the required route of our piping.

Tacks were made to hold the shape of our prototype, and we fit these into position with our rear mufflers.

Now we needed to incorporate a few hangers to attach the exhaust system to the body. We are utilizing the stock mounting points for an easy, direct-fit install.

Our hangers were cut and bent from stock steel.

Mishimoto exhaust hanger fabrication

These were then tacked into position.

We then had a tacked prototype complete and fully installed! Take a look at the system in place.

Mishimoto first prototype exhaust

We fired up the welder and began the process of fully welding each joint within the system.

Welding exhaust prototype

Check out few of the in-progress pieces for our system.

Coming Up!

With our first prototype fully welded, it was time for some initial testing to see how this system sounds on the road. Check back next time for a few sound clips, our internal review of the sound produced, and our second round of prototyping.

Thanks for reading!
-John
Sponsored

bigspoondude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Scion xB
You almost wonder how much flow was lost from the factory routing. I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys chose for mufflers.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Excellent correction to the factory pipe routing.
Thanks for taking a look!

You almost wonder how much flow was lost from the factory routing. I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys chose for mufflers.
Thanks! We will be testing a variety of configurations in the next few weeks. Sound clips will be posted to provide a comparison of sound.

-John

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Very nice.. its as straight as possible with as few bends as possible. This is one thing that just about every exhaust company out there seems to not understand. :frusty:

Sponsored

TRACK-STANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
black 2015 mustang ecoboost 6spd
Wow that exhaust looks pretty dang smooth can't wait to hear it with there be an option to mate up to a 3" down pipe ? Like maybe up until the first muffler?

Irate Swami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Eco
With COBB dragging ass bringing their exhaust to market and me not being in love with the sound of any other offerings out there, I will have a very close eye on this thread. You won my business on my choice in catch can, so let's see if you can do it again! Haha

Also, I'm actually going to be in Wilmington Delaware soon. How far away is your shop from there and would it be ok for me to drop in to see what you guys have going on and maybe spend a little money? I'd love to visit the Mishimoto HQ.

AtlasMK5s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
15 Ecoboost
I'd love to hear a sound clip, does deleting the 90 degree bends at the mufflers change the sound at all?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Very nice.. its as straight as possible with as few bends as possible. This is one thing that just about every exhaust company out there seems to not understand. :frusty:
Thanks for taking a look Pewter!

Wow that exhaust looks pretty dang smooth can't wait to hear it with there be an option to mate up to a 3" down pipe ? Like maybe up until the first muffler?
Thanks! Yes, we will have an option to mate this CBE with a 3" downpipe via a v-band connection. We are also working on our downpipe design (http://engineering.mishimoto.com/?cat=256) which will use a 3" v-band adapter at the CBE connection. Our CBE and downpipe are being designed to work together and also function with stock components. Pretty cool!:cheers:

With COBB dragging ass bringing their exhaust to market and me not being in love with the sound of any other offerings out there, I will have a very close eye on this thread. You won my business on my choice in catch can, so let's see if you can do it again! Haha

Also, I'm actually going to be in Wilmington Delaware soon. How far away is your shop from there and would it be ok for me to drop in to see what you guys have going on and maybe spend a little money? I'd love to visit the Mishimoto HQ.
Thanks! We are certainly shooting for a nice exhaust tone with as little rasp and drone as possible. We did it with our '15 WRX CBE so I imagine we can do it on the Mustang. Testing numerous configurations and components will be key to identifying the optimal design. It will take some time, but we will end up with an awesome product.

Shoot us a PM when you are in the area! We are about 10-15 minutes from downtown Wilmington. Although our warehouse is not in DE (won't be able to sell you anything unfortunately), we can certainly give you a quick tour around our R&D facility!

I'd love to hear a sound clip, does deleting the 90 degree bends at the mufflers change the sound at all?
Thanks! We should have clips ready to go in the near future. It is possible the bend removal will impact sound, however we are also introducing larger piping and different mufflers which will be other variables to consider when evaluating the sound.

Hope to see a before and after dyno!
Absolutely! Once we have a final design, our Mustang will be back on the dyno for some pulls.

What's the black box?
Emissions.
Evap. Canister.
Thanks for confirming guys!

-John

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
any idea as to complete time til complete & order taking?
Not at the moment! We are going to be testing a variety of setups (mufflers, resonators, etc.) in order to determine the ideal exhaust tone and power gains. Once we have a final design in place, we will have a better idea of when these will start shipping out. I imagine this will be some point during the Fall.

We will be running a discounted pre-sale for forum members once we have our design finalized.

Thanks for the interest!
-John
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.